Vulcan Steamer Manual
I have three Vulcan Steamers in a commercial kitchen. One of them stopped working which was pretty easy to figure out. Replacement of the main steam solenoid valve got it up and running again. So now that I am the resident steamer expert the questions come up, like why does this one cook faster than that one? This is a time is money kind of kitchen they cook thousands of meals a day and the cooks get a little cranky if something isn’t cooking as fast as they think it should. I asked the kitchen manager to get a manual for me but I guess it’s easy enough for him forget about it. I have looked all over the web but can’t find a manual on these steamers.
Does anyone know where I can locate a manual? I don’t have the model number at this moment but they are Vulcan units with the re-boiler. Steam from the plant comes to boil the water in the steamer boiler.
Any help would be appreciated.
Originally Posted by shifferbrains
I get to service some of these units, what I find bad is this
1) units have too much water in them, sight glass should be at middle of glass. I have found more than one topped off and being run that way usually I get told it keeps blowing off relief vale.
2) staff has been refilling with tap water so units are limed up, delime unit and flush unit with water till it runs clear, (you will find alot of black crud inside unit), refill with,"steam distilled", water.
3) controls have been bypassed by other people. fix'em. check float level ass'y, relief valve operation, (get right valve for your unit they are different for diff. unit), inrefence to-- 1) above get a functioning sight glass it's required by law and "common sense".
4) Units are running w/o being burped. fire units up till pressures get to 20-30lbs. and open pressure relase valve. chill pot with cold water, pressure should be in vacuum now.
5) make sure your steam traps are working, and your getting correct steam pressure to unit, gages on unit are working right?
6) if electric -check elements to see if all have ohms, if gas- check burner operation, gas pressure.
So you didn't ask, what you though was a stupid question. Now how, are you going to tell the boss about your stupid screw up?
Vulcan Hart Steamer
Vulcan has a great web site that has all the equipment serivce, parts and users manual on it ready to down load. Try www.vulcanhart.com.
Thanks for the link Chuke.... I found that one on Google but it didnn't work. And it still doesn't work. But thank you for the effort.
Originally Posted by chucke
I tried the Vulcan web site today and it works now. They must have had it down over the this weekend. Thanks for the link.