Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Talking HAHAHA

I am glad to see all the attention this column is getting. I would love to add that this balance guy accused me of destroying his laptop that was not working and also told me he thought his cables were bad so he borrowed mine and never gave it back. Also I love the balance guys who call the controls project manager DEMANDING that he send out one of his controls guys to get it working and then when we do they tell him that we left the job site without teaching them how to use the software. I mean they do have classes for that kind of thing. Also a tribute to the balance guy who takes all day to balance a small CAV RTU with 5 VAV's.

Well here's what we've done because I have noticed the same thing when these guys use their own laptop. I have never - and I mean never - met a balancer that is remotely computer literate. I had one project where it was an emergency because they couldn't get into HVAC pro. When we got someone out there, we saw that the CVT PRO Cable was physically broken into the small black adapter - I mean my wife could figure that out - it literally was right off!!

So here's what we do now - and we can do this because we use Web based AX.

We get a used laptop for about $150.00. Depending on the size of the building, we install multiple Ethernet access points around the building during construction, and have them all go through a switch. We then get a wireless router for about $ 20.00 from Frys and connect it to an access point in the area the balancer is going to work in. We set up the laptop for him and we train him on how to balance through the web browser and wizard. I generally assume they don't even know how to turn the computer on. I tell them to let me know when they'll be done in an area and I will go back to move the router for them to the next area.

We did this on our last job in a four story building and it worked great.

Did the mechanicals in a small college.Get a call first day of school(work not yet 100% complete at time).Dean's office(of all offices of course) is 90 degrees.Look on the frontend and see a space temp of 90, discharge air at 46, and blower running.Check TAB binder on desk and all cfm's and gpm's tested good.Go up to fan coil and find there is no return.Sheet metal contractor was supposed to build a small plenum and have a screen on the end but instead made a sealed box( ceiling return).
    The next it was the library, a supplyfan,return fan AHU with hot and chilled water coils. Noticed the flex collar on the return,and return duct itself was "sucked in".Shut down the unit.Found the smoke damper actuator on the return was never wired,therefore the damper was never open.Went back to the useless as tits on a bull TAB binder and found everything on this unit was hunky-dory.
    Own my own hood,micromanometers,anemometers,ect.. cause I don't trust 95% of the balancers I deal with(there are two that I know of who do supperb work, that's it).

Most of these problems really come from the process. Let me know of a GC, engineering firm, or owner that really wants to budget for proper commissioning and any mechanical contractor willing to take the chance at bid time to toss down enough hours on the bid.

I wonder about the benefits separating these jobs from the install to pull all these issues as a separate cost.

It certainly seems that at the end of the project nobody has enough dollars or time left to really address this issue.

A huge part of the problem is the TAB contractor is paid by the MC. They won't hire a contractor that does find problems.

LOL another day of air balancers driving me nuts. I want to thank the air balancers for not being able to realize that if you remove wires from the damper actuator that it will not move. Also thank you IDIOT TAB guys for forgetting that when you remove the cover of a VAV box that you need to return the cover back to the box.

heres to the control guy who cycles the crap out of my chiller like its a 3 ton condensing unit Just a joke so now laugh.you thought us stupid chiller guys didnt read this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by captinsano View Post
    heres to the control guy who cycles the crap out of my chiller like its a 3 ton condensing unit Just a joke so now laugh.you thought us stupid chiller guys didnt read this forum.
    Not surprised about reading this forum, just the ability to read, period. Just a joke so now laugh.

Got a call from one this past week telling me he can't get the electric reheats to work. I guess they don't realize that you have a pressure switch on them. I told him to raise the minimums to a point that does turn the reheat on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12