Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A Dedication to the clueless air balance company

Yes your job is important and required to complete the jobs but...PLEASE PLEASE dont put 15 different pieces of controls software on your laptop because it is supposedly compatible and then expect me to fix it each and every time your computer has been screwed with by someone in your company or another company. PLEASE JUST GET A DEDICATED LAPTOP SO IT WORKS EVERY TIME AND DOESNT WASTE MY TIME. And also it was you who messed up your laptop like that NOT ME!

A Dedication to the clueless control company

Yes your job is important and required to complete the jobs but...PLEASE PLEASE functiun check each piece of equipment, you can dump programs into a controller just because it supposedly will work and walk away, then i the balancer have to fix it each time.PLEASE JUST GET A DEDICATED PROCEDURE SO IT WORKS EVERY TIME AND DOESNT WASTE MY TIME. And also it was you who messed up the controls like that NOT ME!
    Sorry i had to do it
    AIRFLOW IS CRITICAL

Now that is funny stuff....

While I feel your pain, I'm typically just happy they are doing something and not just balancing the job from the parking lot or local bar.

And just because I have to setup and support the TAB contractor per spec (and I'm more than willing to do), doesn’t mean I cannot charge for blatant stupidity…..

Quote Originally Posted by orion242 View Post
    While I feel your pain, I'm typically just happy they are doing something and not just balancing the job from the parking lot or local bar.
    And just because I have to setup and support the TAB contractor per spec (and I'm more than willing to do), doesn’t mean I cannot charge for blatant stupidity…..
    Bravo>>
    Beware of the prophet trying to make a profit.

There is less oxygen from knee level to the floor! Check it out next time you tie your boots.

Quote Originally Posted by orion242 View Post

I love it when I find ALL of the balance valves wide open.

NO it is better when the TAB does not know what a Parrell and Sieres box is, then asked you what the fan motor is doing in the VAV box and what am I suppose to do with it.

Then there are the ones that only bring one hood to the job and forget that there are perimeter vents or vents that are around light fixtures.

Those are the one that make my day as I tell them they will be charge for the time of reutrning to the job site to finish the work or I bring my companies own hood setup and do it myself if needed.

Yes there are times that I get the right TAB and they are on top of everything and do get it right the first time no hassel, no worries. Just depends on the TAB personal.

Lontshooter

I like the guy asking why he can't put in 20,000+ in for the k-factor. But again he must be at the site doing something, which is better than most.

and this is why 3rd party commissioning now happens.

The owner can not trust the engineer/mechanical/balance cronies to give them a product that functions.

I have actually been told that it's not my job to point to deficiencies. It's my job to get the number +/- 10%.

I fired that mechanical/engineer combination. I refuse to even consider a job with that engineer on the prints. I might do work for the mechanical with a different engineer.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

I just asked the Mechanical at a local school project we're doing when the balancer was coming out and was informed he was done. I was shocked considering I never saw him, I just got the majority of the exhaust fans running in the building the day prior and I had a retun fan off in an air handler because it was drawing to many amps and in need of a sheave change. Also looked in the event he did his job and not one of my OA stpts in 50 or so Unit Vents was changed. There are 5 balance companies that work around me and as far as I can tell only 2 I actually trust.

Probably my favorite story about bad balancers...

...there was a fire in a section of a school that damaged some of my controllers. I was there with a coworker repulling wires and replacing controllers.

Bubba, the employee from TAB company XXX shows up unexpectedly (surprise! no coordination!) and demands that I open all the VAV's to their design max so he can re-re-resubmit his report that was rejected by the engineer 3 times before. I believe the engineer's words were, "...this is not physically possible!" for one of the previous, early submissions.

When I tried to explain to Bubba that he has a functional laptop with the necessary software working (I've helped them with it on prior occassions so I know this to be true) he gets offended and states he, "...will not go to each VAV 3 times!" There are 15 VAV's in the entire system. When asked if this was a "can not" or a "will not," Bubba actually answered with a, "Will not."

Kudos for honestly.

This was a Friday.

Naturally, Monday rolls around and I'm getting nasty phone calls from the mech contractor and GC asking why the main office of this high school is FUBAR'ed.

Can you guess my answer?

A pat on the back to those that ACTUALLY do their job!

A kick in the shins to the slackers that try to do it from their truck!

Have a nice day!

I like it when there are balancing reports for equipment that has not even been powered up yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast