Have you been wowed? spoiler alert

Got to see HW's new line up of products today at one of their ForwardThinking -> Get ready to be WOWed campaign events (world of wireless tour). Interesting how new wireless products are introduced in the residential / light commercial before making it into the commercial market.
    I work for an ACI though.

Overall it looks promising, easy to setup, and most of the new stuff coming up by Thanksgiving. Nicest part is I won the first prize at their raffle - The Prestige HD kit. Sweet

The wireless technology is being called Red Link - although I couldn't get any detail on the underlying technology (proprietary obviously), but I'm thinking it would be a variant of 802.15.4?

I guess I caught an event at the very beginning of the tour, sorry for the spoiler

www.forwardthinking.honeywell.com

do share your thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by digo View Post
    Got to see HW's new line up of products today at one of their ForwardThinking -> Get ready to be WOWed campaign events (world of wireless tour). Interesting how new wireless products are introduced in the residential / light commercial before making it into the commercial market.
    I work for an ACI though.

Overall it looks promising, easy to setup, and most of the new stuff coming up by Thanksgiving. Nicest part is I won the first prize at their raffle - The Prestige HD kit. Sweet

The wireless technology is being called Red Link - although I couldn't get any detail on the underlying technology (proprietary obviously), but I'm thinking it would be a variant of 802.15.4?

I guess I caught an event at the very beginning of the tour, sorry for the spoiler

www.forwardthinking.honeywell.com

do share your thoughts
    Do you know what would WOW me regarding Honeywell?

It would be making their distributors actually perform the tasks that they are contractually obligated to do.

Quote Originally Posted by freddy-b View Post

It would be making their distributors actually perform the tasks that they are contractually obligated to do.
    Keeping their ACIs informed of software module updates would WOW me too.
    The latest fiasco with the history.jar version 3.3.27 is just plain ridiculous.
    But who am I kidding, HW TAC was training all week long - let's hope they learned something.

I'll give kudos to Distech for issuing an update advisory on 9/12.
    Meanwhile HW tried to do damage control by saying the fix had been developed by a third party and had not been tested. Apparently they think Distech actually develops modules that are an integral part of the Niagara-AX framework. Talk about the right hand not talking to the left...

Who owns who again?

Went to the Honeywell WOW dog and pony show in Atlanta the week of Comfortech (live here). Lots of good products coming. I asked if the wireless technology would be extended to the VP 8000 line, they did not answer me...

I would like to see an 8011 or 8320 wireless T-stat, but that may be a while...

The way the WOW stats integrate with the new zone boards is impressive though. Hope it all works as it is touted to.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Wink Relative thinking ;)

Quote Originally Posted by digo View Post
    Keeping their ACIs informed of software module updates would WOW me too.
    The latest fiasco with the history.jar version 3.3.27 is just plain ridiculous.
    But who am I kidding, HW TAC was training all week long - let's hope they learned something.

I'll give kudos to Distech for issuing an update advisory on 9/12.
    Meanwhile HW tried to do damage control by saying the fix had been developed by a third party and had not been tested. Apparently they think Distech actually develops modules that are an integral part of the Niagara-AX framework. Talk about the right hand not talking to the left...

Who owns who again?

history.jar fix
    To anyone running AX 3.3.22

Apparently everyone at Honeywell has been MIA while in "Training" since Sept 12, when this issue was fixed and reported by another OEM channel. Call TAC to obtain the latest history.jar version 3.3.27

There's a serious issue that has been fixed - your 3.3.22 JACEs are ticking bombs, just waiting to run out of RAM.

Here's my post on niagara-central about this issue:

http://www.niagara-central.com/ord?p...ionThread/8716

6:23 AM
    history.jar version 3.3.27

The history.jar file version 3.3.27 referred to in other messages has not been tested and released by Tridium or Honeywell. This file was developed by a third party in response to an issue they were experiencing. Installation of this file is not supported.

If you are experiencing issues with history files in version 3.3.22.5 please contact Honeywell TAC, so the issue can be tracked and addressed.

-Laura Kevitt

Honeywell ECC
    Laura Kevitt

9/26/2008 7:41 AM
    RE: history.jar version 3.3.27

The file released by "others" is the same file as in tridium's 3.3.27 beta release -- do a file compare.

Can you explain how this was "developed" by a third party, and checked into Tridium's release system?

I don't understand. To me it looks like a third party was more proactive in digging to the bottom of the problem and proactivly getting notification and fix out to their customers. To the customer (us), this is what we want our suppliers to do.

Thanks.

Daniel Drury

9/26/2008 8:41 AM
    "This file was developed by a third party in response to an issue they were experiencing"

The issue is being experienced across all OEM channels, and there is a case open as I've already run into it 3 times this week. Also, only Tridium develops the core modules for the Niagara-AX framework. Had this been an issue specific to a module Honeywell developed, say the lonHoneywellAXwizards.jar, it would have been a different story. As issues are encountered and fixes are released, there must be a better way to keep everyone informed. It sounds like HW did not get the memo, or the right hand isn't talking to the left. The "third party" OEM got the memo and addressed the issue accordingly.
    Digo Garcia

9/26/2008 9:04 AM

Honeywell TAC is currently testing this file. We'll keep you posted on the results.

-Laura
    Laura Kevitt

9/26/2008 9:14 AM
    RE: RE: history.jar version 3.3.27
    That was a quick test. In fact it took them -3 minutes to test it. Received the file via e-mail from TAC @ 9:01AM PDT. Identical to the one from the "third party."

I hope there's a lesson to be learned from all this. We're here backing the product, and do not expect things to be perfect. As I stated before, software bugs happen, and we're OK with that. Communication is KEY to our success as well as yours.
    Digo Garcia

9/26/2008 9:32 AM
    RE: RE: RE: history.jar version 3.3.27
    Testing has not been completed on the file - it was just sent to you. I'll post again when it released.
    Laura Kevitt

9/26/2008 12:00 PM
    RE: RE: RE: RE: history.jar version 3.3.27
    I'd like to know what the testing procedure entails on HW's end. Let's take a look at the following list of bugs from Niagara-central as it pertains to the history module:

This one shows a bug discovered on DEC 6, 2007, and fixed on JAN 21, 2008. UNTESTED but fixed in version 3.3.23 http://www.niagara-central.com/ord?p...manIssue/11307

This one shows a bug discovered and fixed on MAR 5, 2008. Testing PASSED in version 3.3.25 http://www.niagara-central.com/ord?p...manIssue/11658

Last but not least, this one shows a bug fixed on MAR 6, 2008. Testing PASSED, also in version 3.3.25 http://www.niagara-central.com/ord?p...manIssue/11663

Once Tridium tests a fix and it passes with flying colors, what's the hold up on the releases? Here we are at the end of September of 2008, and everyone out there is still running at 3.3.22
    Digo Garcia

9/26/2008 4:18 PM
    RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: history.jar version 3.3.27

Laura,

I believe I was thanking you previously for releasing the information on the NAND chip issue, way before any other OEM came clean (JCI, never did issue anything to us) I sent out a ton of WTF emails then to them as well as several other OEM'S and I encourage all that reads this now to do the same to HW, Tridium and all the other OEM’S yet to advise their customers.

This is flat out nonsense and it needs to stop.

Chris

Talking Bahahahhahaha

9/26/2008 7:15 PM RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: history.jar version 3.3.27

I took the liberty of advising as many as I could via the several other forums and media's that I am affiliated with as to whom is spreading the gospel and to whom is "NOT"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthingt View Post
    9/26/2008 7:15 PM RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: history.jar version 3.3.27

I took the liberty of advising as many as I could via the several other forums and media's that I am affiliated with as to whom is spreading the gospel and to whom is "NOT"
    Do you have any idea when it's going to hit the HW site?

Quote Originally Posted by freddy-b View Post

I agree. Or if they would ever take or return a phone call! Or license a JACE properly the first time, or the second time.

The HW ASD I have to deal with, for now, seems to want to only deal with a CVS type of building 'system'.

Hey HW, I'm going to enjoy saying 'BYE-BYE' to your JCI wanna-be asses. Then I'll be wowed.

The problem is all the OEM'S and their lack of notification when a bug occurs and/or a fix for that bug is released.

I can understand why Tridium cant release these notifications to an email database, as they obviously do not have one for all their OEM channels, that part is up to the OEM.

I would bet that they all get the info at the same time, but for whatever flipping reason decide not to forward this information on to us (the customer) and that's the part that really pisses me off

I/We need this sort of information ASAP and we should not be expected to dig through several different forums and personal contacts to see what may or may not be available, this has become a daily chore to ensure I have the latest and greatest and IMO this is BS

Perhaps the last few WTF emails sent to Distech for their lack of advisement is the reason behind them spreading the gospel first this time?

I just feel, that if we "all" sent them an email asking "WHY" have you not advised us of a bug/fix like OEM XYZ has, that this could help get the message across that we need it and expect it ASAP, not when ever they feel like getting around to it

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthingt View Post
    The problem is all the OEM'S and their lack of notification when a bug occurs and/or a fix for that bug is released.

I can understand why Tridium cant release these notifications to an email database, as they obviously do not have one for all their OEM channels, that part is up to the OEM.

I would bet that they all get the info at the same time, but for whatever flipping reason decide not to forward this information on to us (the customer) and that's the part that really pisses me off

I/We need this sort of information ASAP and we should not be expected to dig through several different forums and personal contacts to see what may or may not be available, this has become a daily chore to ensure I have the latest and greatest and IMO this is BS

Perhaps the last few WTF emails sent to Distech for their lack of advisement is the reason behind them spreading the gospel first this time?

I just feel, that if we "all" sent them an email asking "WHY" have you not advised us of a bug/fix like OEM XYZ has, that this could help get the message across that we need it and expect it ASAP, not when ever they feel like getting around to it

Chris
    I agree.

Or maybe the quicker way to get the point across would be dumping the OEM channel and just go Vykon. Unless you need something special, like the N2 hog bus.

Vykon has yet to advise of this last issue as well