Confused How come is there no safety control for the oven pilot?

I just learned the fact that gas oven has no safety control for the standing pilot in the Gas Fitter 2 module. If the pilot flame goes out, the gas will keep flowing from the pilot orifice. I think this is dangerous. So far, in all the furnance have the safety control (thermocouple) for the pilot. Are those gas oven too old?

It must be really old if it has a standing pilot - most gas stoves/ovens have hot surface ignition (oven) and spark. (burners)
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

This is not a appliance repair site.

Then go buy a new one. That stove is probably 20 years old. Why are you telling us. It's a product and its been made and you own it. What are we supposed to do? Tell you how evil it is? Ok, "ITS EVIL"

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacrwen View Post
    I just learned the fact that gas oven has no safety control for the standing pilot in the Gas Fitter 2 module. If the pilot flame goes out, the gas will keep flowing from the pilot orifice. I think this is dangerous. So far, in all the furnance have the safety control (thermocouple) for the pilot. Are those gas oven too old?

Some ovens do have safeties. Some don't. Gets even more interesting in commercial ovens and stovetops. Is it dangerous? Depends. It's one of the reasons they put mercaptan in the gas. Keep studying, but remember that a textbook can't cover everything or is always 100% right.
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday