Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A 3-wire fan / defrost termination switch?

Red wire, brown wire, black wire.

On a 120 volt system one wire has to be a common connection, one wire has to be the common to the X terminal on the defrost timer, and the other wire has to control the common to the evap fans.

Which wire is which?

Common?

Close on rise?

Close on fall?

PHM
    ------
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

red is common
    black goes to the fan motor(red to black closes when evap gets cold)
    brown goes to X on timer(red to brown closes when evap gets warm).
    If wired that way..

Is it a Klixon 4391? If so, the center terminal should be the common, I would think.

If it's a three-wire Klixon Brand style (with two leads together on one side and the third lead opposite), ohm out the leads at room temperature. The two with continuity will tell you that one is common and the other terminator.

The secret to which-is-which is that the fan lead and the terminator are alway opposite each other, so with this you can determine how to connect the t'stat even if all three wires are the same color (like with the cheap Mars Klixons I get at the supply house)

As for the ones with all three leads on the same side, I think man form trane is correct that the center lead is alway common. So again, at room temperature, the two that have continuity are the common and termination. If the common is in the middle, then the open lead is fan.

This is a cobbled Bev-Air

It used to have seperate fan and termination switches. But now it has one of those three-wire universal switches.

I got there and found no diagram on the unit, and no stat like that in the truck, the evap solid ice, and no common to the defrost heaters.

Somebody 'fixed' it last week and now won't come back. So I get called and see what I think they did.

It was late and I just stopped there on my way to some other crisis (I am always a sucker that way <g>) I just ran the heater common to a common terminal, defrosted the coil, set the time termination for about seven minutes, and told them I'd come back. Which may be today or tomorrow if things go smoothly and I can ever get out of the office! <g>

Thanks!

OH! It just occured to me: maybe the wrong switch is wired wrong AND is defective besides! <g>

The right switches are a few days away; maybe I'll just wait for them. Although . . . . I'll feel better making the wrong thing work right. <g>
    PHM
    --------

Is there a reason they can't include a wiring diagram of the switch in the package?

a light and a little bit of liquid refrigerant and you can easily determine the leads. LOL.

I do this when I don't know which is which.

Quote Originally Posted by Dowadudda View Post
    a little bit of liquid refrigerant
    you mean diminicmus amount?

Quote Originally Posted by wannafreeze View Post
    you mean diminicmus amount?
    He was saying uses liquid CO2

Get your mind out of the gutter
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

interlink 3 wire defrost termination switch with black and blue wires in one side of switch and red out other side of switch.Blue and black closed warm room temp.
    Blue and red closed cold .part #b12 835 I would wire it blue to "N" red to fan common and black to X on defrost timer.And yes the red and black wires are directly across from each other as

Icemister pointed out,{never noticed that Ice thanks for the info}
    Last edited by pelican; 10-05-2008 at 08:44 PM.

mike if it was a small reach in with a 4 wire (little black timer}you had a heater limit switch not a 3 wire switch.it opens and turns off element when warm.then timer times out and starts unit.there will be no connection to timer,fyi.the details no matter how small would be helpful.my last post assumed you were on a walk in and were replacing a 3 wire switch.use blue and black tape off red.

This is what happened and I think happened -

Some one came to fix it. It originally had a four-wire setup: one close-on-fall 'klixon' for the evap fans and one close-on-rise 'klixon' for the defrost termination.

They replaced those two with a single three-wire. The problem was that the original defrost switch closed common to the X terminal. Whereas the original fan switch closed power to the fan motors. That screwed them up.

I couldn't alter the timer solenoid power so I wired the fans one-side-hot and broke the common to the fans through the three-wire.

And now all is well. <g>

Thanks!

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by pelican aire View Post
    mike if it was a small reach in with a 4 wire (little black timer}you had a heater limit switch not a 3 wire switch.it opens and turns off element when warm.then timer times out and starts unit.there will be no connection to timer, fyi. the details no matter how small would be helpful. my last post assumed you were on a walk in and were replacing a 3 wire switch.see what happens when u ass u me?
    PHM
    --------

PHM You gonna fire up the grill on the 31 st. this year again?
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast