What holds the A coil in place ?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    The condensate does overflow into the heat exchanger if the system wasn't installed right or maintained properly.
    Periodic maintenance can keep the drain clear and proper system design and installation can eliminate that as an issue.
    My knowledge and experience is how I feed my family.
    Some weeks, half of my work load is dealing with condensate drain issues.
    I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.
    ― Benjamin Franklin

not IF, but WHEN the drain plugs...

Dont know where you are, but the water stagnates in the trap and often turns to green gunk, blocks the flow, then water comes out all around.

Then its call us pros to dissasemble and blow it. I've been doing them all summer
    long.

Quote Originally Posted by cvcman View Post
    ... How would they check the drain without removing the acoil ?? ... Where would you chesk it from time to time to see if its plugged ??
    I'd send you a personal msg. if I could, if at least to give you an idea. (But i no longer see a link for that.) Once I saw how it done it's easy. Knowledge is power, as our pros here will tell you.

Above your Pleum you will have a drain pan that is pitched slightly to the back of the furnace and screwed to the sides of the pleum where you should have a drain tube with a trap on it going to your floor drain. The A coil is simply set onto the drain pan. There's nothing to it the A coil isn't going to go anywhere because it is sitting on the drain pan as the pan should be just alittle bigger then the coil is so theres room for the water to run off around the coil into the drain. To get to the coil you would do so from the back side of the furnace and would need to peel off the back side of the plenum to access the A coil.

I see no screws thru the pleum in that area. I dont want to get to the coil just be sure that the drain is staying open and clean.

When they came and put the furnace in I dont recall seeing them check the drain,'

I do see a panel in the back of the pleum held on with 6 screws about 12" square.

thanks. this should be something anyone can do so I dont look at it as a need to call a hvac co out just to look at the drain...

e-mail Email Removed, read the rules
    Last edited by HeyBob; 09-27-2008 at 06:20 AM.

curious, if there is a pan under the coil it must be a U shaped pan right ?? Otherwise how would the air go thru the coil ??

so is it more in the trap outside the furnace where the clog ends up or in the pan inside the furnace ??

There must be an easy way to keep it cleaned out

Quote Originally Posted by cvcman View Post
    I bought a roll of metal duct tape and started taping all the duct joints. I taped around the area where the a-coil is too.

What holds that A-Coil in there??

Also how would you ever know IF the drain got plugged and does it happen often ???

Thx
    The a-coil should be sitting on a flange or shelf inside the duct work. If the drain got plugged you will have water on the floor. Yes they plug up often if they have a trap. If your coil is mounted on your furnace which I think you said it was, it may not have a trap therefore may never plug up. If you are concerned about the drain find out where the end of the drainline is and suck it out with a wetvac or ask the service guy next time he is there to make sure he does. It should be part of his routine maintenance.

Sounds like you have a cased coil and possibly a 90+ furnace?? Maybe? Is the coil in an actual plenum made from galvanized duct, or out of stamped and painted metal? The first would be uncased and the second choice is cased.
    Jim

my coil is in the hot air plenum in the galvinized duct. I do have a hi eff furnace but they just removed my old oil furnace and didnt touch the coil and slid the new furnace under the plenum and transistioned down to it.

It never had a trap befor but they cut the pvc and it has a trap ouside the plenum now and then goes down to the floor drain. I also notice that past where they put in the trap ther is like a T fitting and the top of the T is open.

I can put my finger down in the top of the open T . So one side of the T has the line from the coil. then the top is open and the other side is the line going down to the floor.

Why id thsi open ?? It also is like this from the furnace the pvc comes out of the furnace to a upside down T and the top of the T is open ????

There will be some kind of bracket that holds up the coil in there then. It might be screwed, or riveted, or they might have gotten creative when they installed it. At any rate, it might be a plate that has a hole in it for the air to pass, a couple pieces of brake angle. But like mentioned, it will be pitched towards the drain (if done properly) and it's suppose to have a trap in it. Not all people put traps in though, quite honestly, they clog.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by tinmarine View Post
    There will be some kind of bracket that holds up the coil in there then. It might be screwed, or riveted, or they might have gotten creative when they installed it. At any rate, it might be a plate that has a hole in it for the air to pass, a couple pieces of brake angle. But like mentioned, it will be pitched towards the drain (if done properly) and it's suppose to have a trap in it. Not all people put traps in though, quite honestly, they clog.
    Hey homey, this guy is just shining you on...

I may pop off that side plate and see what is holding it up. I know there was no clog in it before and probably isnt now because I can see water trickling down from the open top of the fitting.

Why is ther an open top ??? Also like I said I never had a trap before but do now. I guess I just want to be sure and clean this out every fall or whatever.

Thanks for the ideas

And hvaclover, do you have a problem ?? Just curious you seem to sit on the sidelines and offer nothing but wisecracks, just wondering. I would say if you have nothing POSITIVE to offer spare us the comments, thank you !

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast