Gas Rotisserie Problem

Ok, so here goes, I have recently recieved my Gas 2 license and am still green, but I have years in refrigeration and consider myself quite competant in troubleshooting from the electrical side of things, but as I have only done heating in heat pump applications, many components are still new to me, only really having dealt with them in small amounts at school. A friend of a friend asked me to have a look at a gas fired rotisserie at his restaurant, (Brotisserie LBRA was the model on rating plate??) and seems to have been put out by a Leblanco limited. Can't find their website, and the owner doesn't have the manual... I didn't have a meter or any tools with me, so I only took that info and got him to try and cycle it for me. Turns out, he's been trying to ignite the main burner, and it will, but shuts down right pretty quick. I figure, since he's been unaware of the pilot, the thermopile is playing a role in shutting it down. Next problem was lighting the pilot, yes had the reg on pilot and fully pushed in, no it didn't light... I'm hoping it's just clogged, as the customer said it was outside for sometime, but I didn't have so much as a wrench on me to check. So that's that, and I've promised to bring my tools down to try and get it going, and since it's a 2 hr drive and I'm new with gas combustion equipment, wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
    P.S. the lighting instructions were partial, reading something to the effect of: lighting it, it'll go out, wait 5 minutes and light it again.... Also weird in my books.
    Anyhelp appreciated, thanks

Should not be able to light the main burner if the pilot is not lit. I assume the thermocouple or generator is connected to the main gas valve? If so your gas valve is fubar and dangerous as well. Pilot orfice may be plugged as well but that does not explain being able to light the main burner. Odd circumstances. Follow the pilot gas flow til you find it's problem, fix it and see whats next. Ken

Thanks Ken, I'm off right now to go have a look at her, I'll do exactly that, start with the pilot and work from there, let you know how she goes... wish me luck, Adam

Get yourself a gas pressure meter so you can check the supply gas pressure and the manifold pressure. Problems w supply pressure / sticking regulators can cause trouble.

Check to see if the unit has a thermostat and high limit stat. Some of the high limit stats shut off the pilot to kill the works and then need to be manually reset. If this is the case then the main tstat is a prime suspect.

When I looked at it the other night, I had a few pints before hand, and as I said, I really only took down the rating plate info...(I'm trying to save face because my initial thoughts were completely off) Upon closer examination, there was no pilot, I just saw a second line from the reg and assumed it was a pilot problem, turns out there wasn't a pilot after all, but the bugger is direct spark ignition. Traced it out to the ignition module, and when I told them I thought it had to be the module because that was where the unit was running into problems electrically (as I said previously, I'm still green) they tell me they have an old scrapper they're doing away with, so I thought I'd save myself a trip and see if it had the same ignition module... sure enough, throw her in, works fine now... threw my manometer on just for good measure, and all's good. Thanks for the advice though guys, I guess I'll know for next time, I'll avoid suggesting any solutions until I actually have a real look at the problem. Adam