Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by crab master View Post
    Maybe I should start selling Bacnet!
    Hope not.

There goes my programming job.
    I don't believe that one bit.

and I am not trying to get into a pi**ing match.
    Nor am I.
    We've disagreed strongly on a certain topic before. Here we're just sharing opinions.

Agreed to Disagree.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

What happened with Honeywell selling T-stats and humidifiers at HD was that the price at HD was not retail. It was actually not much more than our wholesale price.

The result is that HO's would want to buy it at HD and have us install. If I refuse to do that, I am the bad guy.

If I do it, and there is a problem (sometimes products at HD are seconds), then I am the bad guy unless I make few free call-backs.

So you see, it is better if the products we buy wholesale at the supply houses are not sold at big box stores.

Thankfully when I was in a depot the other day, they no longer have exact duplicate HW products on the shelves.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    What happened with Honeywell selling T-stats and humidifiers at HD was that the price at HD was not retail. It was actually not much more than our wholesale price.

The result is that HO's would want to buy it at HD and have us install. If I refuse to do that, I am the bad guy.
    No. But you can't complain if someone else does or your company gets a bad rep from doing so.

If I do it, and there is a problem (sometimes products at HD are seconds), then I am the bad guy unless I make few free call-backs.
    Why would you warranty the parts if it was a labor only call to begin with?

So you see, it is better if the products we buy wholesale at the supply houses are not sold at big box stores.
    Nope, can't agree with that logic.

sysint started by specifying ASCs, even so, my philosophy would encompass a home thermostat too.

I come at this from a different perspective, having started in this business as a distributor and morphing into a contractor then losing my distributor status (deservedly) while maintaining many of my distribution customers and eventually some of the pricing advantages that came with being a distributor. Anyway, the bottom line from my perspective is the contractor has no beef. If it's advantageous for the customer to buy from the distributor over the contractor when installation and/or programming is not involved, the contractor needs to provide some service beyond what the distributor can provide to justify his getting the business. Failing that, he deserves to lose the business.

Quote Originally Posted by NINAX View Post
    No. But you can't complain if someone else does or your company gets a bad rep from doing so.

Why would you warranty the parts if it was a labor only call to begin with?

Nope, can't agree with that logic.

sysint started by specifying ASCs, even so, my philosophy would encompass a home thermostat too.
    HO's can be a lot of fun sometimes...

It does not take long to find someone on Ebay or Craig's list that will sell you a home HVAC package (equipment only; furnace, coil, and A/C unit). Then the HO wants someone to install it for wages. You can talk until the sun does not rise, but the HO just does not understand when they 'think' they can get a deal. But let just one thing go wrong and you are the bad guy if it is not fixed (on your dime). And as soon as a few folks do it, everyone thinks it is a good deal. Nevermind that the manufacturers state clearly on their websites that there is NO warranty what-so-ever if the products are not provided and installed by a licensed and qualified dealer. No licensed contractor I know will even talk to someone about this arrangement. This is simply a no-win deal.

Some HO's do not understand that quality has a price.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

I think we understand your point well enough and that really isn't what I'm talking about. I'm talking about a contractor who decides to play H/D but then complains to the manufacturer when his set prices are more than double a distributor for no service or installation. The only difference between the contractor and the distributor is price at that point. And the contractor thought he had a closed market so his mark was high.

Plus, I have yet to see a manufacturer contract that allows a contractor to do that...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12