For the Goodman Bashers

So here is an interesting question for all HVAC Contractors here who put Goodman products down.

If Goodman systems break so much, why aren't you praying that home owners buy more of them? Since repairs keep you in business and HVAC repairs are so freaking expensive, you should be head over heels and thanking Goodman for their existence.

For those who are going to get on their high horse that they only sell "quality" stuff and yada yada yada, if the owner is happy so long as they get their 10 year parts and labor warranty and they know they are buying a "cheaper" system BUT saving a bundle, what is the difference?

I am a Goodman heat pump owner, not a basher.

After doing a lot of research before the purchase, I decided to go with Goodman. The system replaced a fully-functional 21 year-old Trane Weathertron Executive heat pump, after MD electric rates jumped 72% thanks to deregulation without competition.

Got the GSH14 3 ton with a Copeland scroll compressor, good ole R-22, optional TXV, and fixed speed fan for simplicity.

Performance numbers are outstanding for a single stage unit: 14 SEER, 12 EER, 9 HSPF, full cooling btu's, almost full heating btu's at 47F.

10 year all-parts warranty for me, the original homeowner.

Saved a nice chunk of change on the purchase price compared to brands X, Y, or Z.

Only complaint is the flimsy sheet metal on the air handler and the poorly designed 1" filter rack.

Quote Originally Posted by joe123 View Post
    So here is an interesting question for all HVAC Contractors here who put Goodman products down.

If Goodman systems break so much, why aren't you praying that home owners buy more of them? Since repairs keep you in business and HVAC repairs are so freaking expensive, you should be head over heels and thanking Goodman for their existence.

For those who are going to get on their high horse that they only sell "quality" stuff and yada yada yada, if the owner is happy so long as they get their 10 year parts and labor warranty and they know they are buying a "cheaper" system BUT saving a bundle, what is the difference?
    We all are aware that getting past a bad reputation is harder that building a good one. I am aware that I'll most likely get crucified for saying so, but Goodman has come a long, long way, and is now producing systems that will give you the most for the least. Goodman and Comfortmaker are responsible for the increased warranties now offered by the major manufacturers. I have no issues with the performance, quality, or price of either of these lines.
    mike

Quote Originally Posted by joe123 View Post

because it makes you look bad if you need to go back all the time to fix a new unit. i have no problem with goodman i think they are as reliable as the rest. lately i have been installing ruud. i am not awfuly impressed but they seem to run fine, and this is sub work so i don't supply the units. i am lazy i don't want to go back to fix somthing i sold the h.o.

Closed and under review by ADMIN and Mods. This thread may be reopened after discussion.

Threads like this have the propensity to turn into 15 page dogpiles that we do not need or want on this site.
    Last edited by HeyBob; 09-24-2008 at 07:54 AM.