Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    doesn't matter. the 15i is a scroll compressor and most all scroll's don't need a start kit on R-22

and as looney said, trane will give the dealer a start kit to install in the system that will help with the lights dimming. it will not always fix the lights dimming. sometimes light dimming comes from a long line run to the OD unit. main panel on opposite side of house or what not.

does this house have 100 amp service or 200 amp service?

depending on the SHR of the 031 compared to the 037 AH matched to his OD unit they were prolly trying to get more sensible cooling out of his system either way, the settings of the 2 AH units overlap in the middle

trane has been using non-bleed TXV's forever lol
    The house has 200 amp service. The issue with the light flickering is not that the lights dim slightly on compressor startup but but the 1 second on-off when the compressor didn't start in multiple attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by forcryinoutloud View Post
    According to the Trane dealer site the model # that you posted shows that it indeed originally had a non - bleed TXV installed.

It is possible that the system is overcharged, or there could be other reasons for now having an issue that requires the installation of a hard start kit.

I recommend having your HVAC contractor send a service tech out to your home to verify that the system is charged and otherwise working as designed.

At worse you get charged a diagnostic fee, but if this was done recently I would hope that they not charge for the call.
    I mentioned the possibility of an overcharged system when I talked to the service manager about the start kit. He didn't think it was overcharged but I don't know how either he or I could tell. Are there any other tell tale signs to look for on an overcharged system? He did finally say the the best way is to empty the system and then recharge by weight. I suspect that this takes a fair amount of time which they don't like to invest (especially in warranty work) unless they have a very good reason. From my limited knowledge the only thing I know about overcharged systems is that it will supposedly lower the efficiency. Then it's my power bill and not theirs!

I just remembered that the tech who installed the start kit wrote some numbers which you folks might be able to interpret.

O.D. ambient 77 F
    Suction pressure 70
    Head pressure 165
    R 70.2 F
    S 51.1 F
    Split 19.1 F

Have had several that have listed uf rating needed but really are way underated for value.
    Called and had warranty replaced and still same problem. Just simply added in an aftermarket all in one with self contained potential relay, just make sure it stays level so the relay drops out in time and does not stick in to long.

Have not been back since!!

Name:  What we have here, is a failure to communicate.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  36.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 347 View Post
    I think that they were going for the higher heating efficiency as the system is sized based on A/C load here in North Carolina. The higher heating efficiency means that the heat strips run less saving $$$
    The 031 has greater heating capacity than the 037 which means that with the 031 the heat pump would provide better heating than with the 037, which would also mean that the electric heat strips would operate less often and for a shorter period of time than with the 037.

Honestly though, the differences between the two air handlers is minimal in all respects and you most likely wouldn't notice much of an improvement if any if the 031 had been installed. I was pretty much just thinking out loud.
    If people only focused on the important things in life there would be a shortage of fishing poles.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 347 View Post
    I mentioned the possibility of an overcharged system when I talked to the service manager about the start kit. He didn't think it was overcharged but I don't know how either he or I could tell. Are there any other tell tale signs to look for on an overcharged system? He did finally say the the best way is to empty the system and then recharge by weight. I suspect that this takes a fair amount of time which they don't like to invest (especially in warranty work) unless they have a very good reason. From my limited knowledge the only thing I know about overcharged systems is that it will supposedly lower the efficiency. Then it's my power bill and not theirs!

I just remembered that the tech who installed the start kit wrote some numbers which you folks might be able to interpret.

O.D. ambient 77 F
    Suction pressure 70
    Head pressure 165
    R 70.2 F
    S 51.1 F
    Split 19.1 F
    Those numbers look good, but an accurate assessment on system performance is not possible with that information alone.

You are correct that an overcharged system would cause a loss of efficiency resulting in higher power bills, but it could also cause damage to the compressor and result in a lower comfort level in the home as compared to a properly charged system.

Also there is no need to recover and recharge from scratch to verify that the charge is correct. All manufacturers provide charging charts that cover a variety of possible operating conditions. These charts should be used to determine if the system is charge is correct or not.
    If people only focused on the important things in life there would be a shortage of fishing poles.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123