Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chozn1 View Post
    I'm interested in the type of compressor as well. If you can give me a model # I could look it up real quick. It could be that some tightening of the electrical connections are in order as well. It should have had a TXV the whole time as an XL15i. I don't recall ever putting one in with a piston.

Trane does indeed have the hard start kit mentioned, and i've had to put them on newer units. Doesn't sound like a huge deal. You have 10 year parts and labor right... right???

BTW, did they give you a dipped coil to cure the DSS?

EDIT: Beat me to it on the compressor ^^^
    Here are the particular part numbers that were installed based on the paperwork:

TWE037E13FB
    BAYHTR1408
    2TWX5024A1000A

The coil was replaced under warranty with a coated or dipped unit so I am assuming it was a Trane coil.

Yes, I do have a 10 year warranty and the way things are going it looks like I might need it!

The old unit was a Weathertron that lasted 25 years. I oiled the condenser fan motor and replaced the A/H fan motor twice in that time period.

Quote Originally Posted by forcryinoutloud View Post
    If the coil is manufactured by Trane then the new coil would have a non - bleed TXV which requires a Hard Start kit to allow the compressor to overcome the pressure differential that is caused by this type of TXV.

If the old coil did not have a non - bleed TXV than it would not have required a TXV at that time.

Is the compressor in that unit a recip or a scroll?

Just checked on the 2TWX5030 and found that it did have a scroll compressor.

What is the model # of the installed coil?

This unit is supposed to have a scroll compressor but I don't know how to verify this .

Both coils were Trane coils so maybe the old TXV was bleed and the new one possibly isn't?

How do I find the model number of the new coil? Preferably without opening the air handler (I think that would violate forum rules! :-)

Ok, they put a TWE037 in when they could have gotten by with a TWE031. I'd have to look but I'm pretty sure the coil on the 037 is bigger. You get more SEER this way probably, but I can see how it would give the compressor a little tug when it starts up. I can't tell you why he's playing dumb on this happening before. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say maybe he really hasn't seen it. Did the hard start kit help?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 347 View Post
    This unit is supposed to have a scroll compressor but I don't know how to verify this .
    I just checked and yeah, it's a scroll.

Ok, they put a TWE037 in when they could have gotten by with a TWE031. I'd have to look but I'm pretty sure the coil on the 037 is bigger. You get more SEER this way probably, but I can see how it would give the compressor a little tug when it starts up. I can't tell you why he's playing dumb on this happening before. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say maybe he really hasn't seen it. Did the hard start kit help?
    Yes, the hard start kit seems to have solved the problem although the system really hasn't run much lately due to the cool weather. I don't know if this would also show up in H/P mode as everything is reversed. The system ran alright before as long as the Off time was at least 15 minutes or so between cycles. It wasn't during a very hot June which was when the problem really showed up.

According to the Trane dealer site the model # that you posted shows that it indeed originally had a non - bleed TXV installed.

It is possible that the system is overcharged, or there could be other reasons for now having an issue that requires the installation of a hard start kit.

I recommend having your HVAC contractor send a service tech out to your home to verify that the system is charged and otherwise working as designed.

At worse you get charged a diagnostic fee, but if this was done recently I would hope that they not charge for the call.
    If people only focused on the important things in life there would be a shortage of fishing poles.

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    How long did the unit run with the line kinked?
    The same day that the new coil was installed I came home to no heat. The tech swore that it was working when he left but when he came back out the compressor wouldn't run due to low pressure cut-off switch. I suspect that it didn't run very long at all.

Not sure why they installed the 037 air handler instead of the 031. The 031 provides the same cooling capacity as the 037, but has a higher cooling efficiency, provides more heating capacity than the 037, is a smaller physical size than the 037, and would have been a little less expensive than the 037.

The only things that the 037 has over the 031 is a higher heating efficiency, and the ability to work with higher tonnage condensing units than the 031.
    If people only focused on the important things in life there would be a shortage of fishing poles.

Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    Did the original coil have a TXV? If they went from a piston to a TXV on the coil, a hard start would be needed.
    doesn't matter. the 15i is a scroll compressor and most all scroll's don't need a start kit on R-22

and as looney said, trane will give the dealer a start kit to install in the system that will help with the lights dimming. it will not always fix the lights dimming. sometimes light dimming comes from a long line run to the OD unit. main panel on opposite side of house or what not.

does this house have 100 amp service or 200 amp service?

depending on the SHR of the 031 compared to the 037 AH matched to his OD unit they were prolly trying to get more sensible cooling out of his system either way, the settings of the 2 AH units overlap in the middle

trane has been using non-bleed TXV's forever lol
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

I just checked and yeah, it's a scroll.
    yup, its a scroll compressor, variable speed outdoor and indoor fan

system also has 10/10/2 warranty if you don't have the 10yr P&L

let me break that down, that 10yr functional parts, 10yr compressor and coil, and 2yr labor honored by installing contractor

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Didn't cross my mind of a difference in sensible capacity for being the reason to upgrade to the 037.

Checked the specs this morning and found that the 2TWX5024 coupled with the 031 also has a higher rated sensible capacity than it does with the 037.

They must have had an 037 in stock and not the 031. It is the only reason I could see for using the 037 versus the 031.

probably lol

Quote Originally Posted by forcryinoutloud View Post
    Not sure why they installed the 037 air handler instead of the 031. The 031 provides the same cooling capacity as the 037, but has a higher cooling efficiency, provides more heating capacity than the 037, is a smaller physical size than the 037, and would have been a little less expensive than the 037.

The only things that the 037 has over the 031 is a higher heating efficiency, and the ability to work with higher tonnage condensing units than the 031.
    I think that they were going for the higher heating efficiency as the system is sized based on A/C load here in North Carolina. The higher heating efficiency means that the heat strips run less saving $$$

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast