Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question 2 1/2 Year Old Trane XL15i Suddenly Needs Start Kit?

HVAC Gurus,

This unit suddenly developed a compressor starting issue this past summer which caused the lights in the house to noticeably flicker when the compressor was trying to start. Before the kit the system would have to sit for about 15 minutes before the compressor would restart so it is not a thermostat minimum off time issue.

Suddenly requiring a hard start kit seemed kind of strange since the unit had worked fine for the previous 2 summers. I am sure that I would have noticed the light flicker before now.

The only thing that has changed is that the indoor coil was replaced in April to get rid of DSS (which btw, worked the unit doesn't stink any more!). However, in the process of doing this the tech kinked the low side refrigerant line which resulted in having to vent the unit to fix the line.

Is it possible that the compressor was damaged as part of the coil replacement and kinked suction line? Any other ideas why this system would suddenly need a hard start kit?

Thanks,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 347 View Post
    HVAC Gurus,

However, in the process of doing this the tech kinked the low side refrigerant line which resulted in having to vent the unit to fix the line.

Is it possible that the compressor was damaged as part of the coil replacement and kinked suction line? Any other ideas why this system would suddenly need a hard start kit?

Thanks,

Steve

what do you mean by this "venting"? if it was kinked and not repaired , yes ,it could cause a problem.

did he put on the hard start kit before or after he put in the coil??

In the past, A-S/Trane offered a no charge hard start kit on scroll models that had light dimming issues. It appears the R22 version of the 15i did not come with a kit but the R410a version does. If it is bothering you, ask the dealer if he can get you a kit from his supplier.

Did the original coil have a TXV? If they went from a piston to a TXV on the coil, a hard start would be needed.
    I need a new signature.....

Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    Did the original coil have a TXV? If they went from a piston to a TXV on the coil, a hard start would be needed.

probably what happened......

I'd bet a cup of coffee the old one was piston and new one TXV. How long did the unit run with the line kinked?

Dito!!!

2 1/2 Year Old Trane XL15i Suddenly Needs Start Kit?

what do you mean by this "venting"? if it was kinked and not repaired , yes ,it could cause a problem.

I found refrigerant oil spatter on the outside of the air handler after the kink was repaired. I assumed that refrigerant was trapped in the high side of the indoor coil after a check valve and couldn't be recovered

did he put on the hard start kit before or after he put in the coil??

The hard start kit was put in after the coil was changed

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    In the past, A-S/Trane offered a no charge hard start kit on scroll models that had light dimming issues. It appears the R22 version of the 15i did not come with a kit but the R410a version does. If it is bothering you, ask the dealer if he can get you a kit from his supplier.
    Jackpot! This is an R22 system. So why didn't the highly recommended installer know anything about the light dimming issue when He was asked about it?

I had to prove it to them by adding a temporary current measuring transformer that the compressor was not starting. Then they finally sent someone out to finally fix it with a start kit.

Both coils were supposed to be TXV. Is it possible that the TXVs were somehow different?

If the coil is manufactured by Trane then the new coil would have a non - bleed TXV which requires a Hard Start kit to allow the compressor to overcome the pressure differential that is caused by this type of TXV.

If the old coil did not have a non - bleed TXV than it would not have required a TXV at that time.

Is the compressor in that unit a recip or a scroll?

Just checked on the 2TWX5030 and found that it did have a scroll compressor.

What is the model # of the installed coil?
    If people only focused on the important things in life there would be a shortage of fishing poles.

I'm interested in the type of compressor as well. If you can give me a model # I could look it up real quick. It could be that some tightening of the electrical connections are in order as well. It should have had a TXV the whole time as an XL15i. I don't recall ever putting one in with a piston.

Trane does indeed have the hard start kit mentioned, and i've had to put them on newer units. Doesn't sound like a huge deal. You have 10 year parts and labor right... right???

BTW, did they give you a dipped coil to cure the DSS?

EDIT: Beat me to it on the compressor ^^^

system overcharged---to much refrigerant

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast