Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Would love it if you could dig that info up. I've got a LON that was mis-pulled with 18/2s and due for commissioning in a few months. I'm a bit apprehensive and having a "fix" in my back pocket would certainly make me feel better.

Nikko

Quote Originally Posted by ebusch View Post
    Never used a smart switch. Got a link? Like to see the difference.
    From Loytec - www.loytec.com

Smart Switch Mode
    The Plug & Play installation capability of the L-SwitchXP (or L-IP) allows connecting the L-SwitchXP (or L-IP) to the network without any further configuration. The Smart Switch technology automatically detects the bit-rates of the connected channels, learns the configuration of the network (domains, subnet/node addresses, group addresses) and forwards the packets between the different ports of the L-SwitchXP (or L-IP) router.

You would think the Tridium guys could extend the capacity of their JACE boxes by adding L-IP's in smart switch mode or FT-10 switches. That way, the database doesn't have to know they exist and just get the benefits. I get the feeling a Loytec and a JACE is less expensive than two JACE boxes.
    Last edited by sysint; 09-24-2008 at 01:07 PM.

Thanks for all the responses guys.

For such a simple question and a common issue we sure got a lot of really good ideas and responses. Let's face it, in the retrofit world, pulling a new network can be a deal killer. If we can find ways to eliminate having to do this, it can be beneficial to both us and the end user.

Re: Lon cabling

Quote Originally Posted by nikko View Post
    Would love it if you could dig that info up. I've got a LON that was mis-pulled with 18/2s and due for commissioning in a few months. I'm a bit apprehensive and having a "fix" in my back pocket would certainly make me feel better.

Nikko
    http://www.echelon.com/support/docum...8-0156-01G.pdf

Pages 4-6 and 4-7

This is actually referring to grounding the shield on twisted pair shielded but it worked for my 18/2 shielded. Of course this still requires your eol terminators whether your going doubly or singly terminated.

Good info, thanks. I assume you only put one of these "gadgets" on the network at one end or the other and twisted the shields together at each node?

Nikko

Quote Originally Posted by nikko View Post
    Good info, thanks. I assume you only put one of these "gadgets" on the network at one end or the other and twisted the shields together at each node?

Nikko
    Actually, in my case, I only had to 'convert' the underground part that was mispulled. So I only had to install the 'gadgets' at the panel or gutter where the cable entered the buildings. The interiors of the buildings were all pulled with standard echelon twisted pair (unshielded).
    Although I would think that it should work for an existing 18/2 shielded trunk as long as yes, the shield remains continuous throughout (and not grounded or connected at each device, maybe taped back).
    Like I said, it worked for me. I now work for the High School District that we did this job for and I havent had any comm issues on this site.

I too have seen an 18-2 honeywell setup that over the years had sections chopped out and replaced with 18-2 thermostat wire . . . and it still worked. No way you'll get the best performance out of something like that, but this system was communicating stats only - real simple.

Then there is always this bad azzzz solution http://www.aic-wireless.com/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthingt View Post
    Then there is always this bad azzzz solution http://www.aic-wireless.com/home.html

my distributor just showed me one of these. have you used it yet?
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

Yes I have played with it, it is priced right and its kewl

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12