Door Blower & Duct Blaster tests

Door Blower & Duct Blaster tests

I had my home "Energy Audited" today, and "repairs" made to improve conditions. Tests were performed, readings recorded, before and after the "repairs", until a certain level of decrease was obtained. It was fascinating to say the least.
    Here in Texas, Dallas area, Oncor delivers electricity, and subsidizes Energy Audits & repairs by contractors. Depending on your income, it can either be free, or the work done for a minimal dollar cost. I got 10 man-hours labor, including materials, tests, data sheets and great peace of mind for a hundred bucks. Oncor pays the rest.
    They taped all the registers closed, pressurized the air handler & duct system, recorded data. They proceded in mastec, caulk, sealing duct/registers, air intake chamber, air handler cabinet, and all that other stuff thats involved.
    They repeated the duct blaster testing in conjunction with the door blower for some more readings. The team of two were able to find & seal many air leaks, sealing all the windows, doors to the outside world, and a really nasty leak at the peak of my cathederal ceiling where a large timber/beam traverses the ceiling. From the readings, and I am not sure of the units of measurement, duct leakage was reduced from 585 to 140, and outside air infiltration from 3658 to 1650. (might be cfm). 34 yr old house. Inquiring how this house compared to what they see as an average, they said it was not as bad as many, but ended up about where most do.
    I think for the bucks spent, it was worthwhile. Oncor also has subsidation for those who need more attic insulation, and that will be the next job, blowing in enough for 12".
    Wanted to share about this, seems like a great extra service to sell, year round.

Can you provide an Oncor phone number for this service? Thanks

Interesting - I've been looking into this but haven't found anything that says OnCor does this.

Would love to get the phone #.

10 hrs for 100 bucks. Great price - sure beats climbing around the attic or on ladders
    trying to seal off stuff. I doubt you paid for much more than materials. My house is 30 years old and needed much of the sealing you mentioned. You would have thought caulk wasn't invented 30 years ago...

Adam

I am currently in the process of doing this samething with my service provider as well (We Engeries) here in Wisconsin. They will do the samething you described, blower door test and then insulate, caulk, and even upgrade certain appliance's like freezers, refrigerators, AC/HP units and air handlers and furnace's as well. As you mentioned depending on your income bracket some or most of this is covered by the utility company by grant money from the gov't and other related programs as well as special finacing with fix interest rates where the home owner can finace installation cost to. There pretty good programs especially for low income families. This to is a benefit for the utility companies also since it will lower the demand for Gas/Electric which in turn lowers everyones cost in the long run. Landlords can even get assitance from these programs to for there rental properties. the application is very short to fill out and they are pretty prompt in getting the ball rolling to do the work.

me75006 - thanks for the info- didn't know Oncor incentives were available...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by texasmax View Post
    me75006 - thanks for the info- didn't know Oncor incentives were available...
    you are quite welcome.
    There is a pdf file of "Service Providers" doing the work here:
    http://www.oncor.com/pdf/programs/2008_RSC_EESPS.pdf

At the start I was contracted by a local contractor doing this, and was somewhat suspicious, but it is for real. It is up to the home owner & contractor to work out the terms, and the contractor will file with Oncor, later.
    Houses built before 2003 qualify.