Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TRANE XV90 / XV95 | ext .warranty

like I said before in previous posts im liking the trane XV90 OR XV95...and I'm thinking that a 10 yr warranty on this unit would save some money in the long run. I havent found out yet is wherether it is tied to an annual service contract which would make this warranty more expensive. Just wondering if anyone has bought the ext. warrty and used it with or w/o the service contract.............cheers!!

Edit out the price, Thank you.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Extended Labor Warranties are Simply Insurance

If using an Authorized Trane Installer, it is my understanding that you will get
    2 Years Parts and Labor and then 8 more years Parts only (total of 10 years parts).

Now I believe the 10 years parts are if you replace complete system (i.e. AC and heat) and that if you just replace AC with existing furnace some of the parts are 10 years while other are only 5 years. Bottom Line, first read fine print on what you get standard.

Now I thought the extended warranty is a LABOR only extension. If so look at the price you pay. If it was say $200, that might be equivalent of one to two simple service calls (such as ignitor replacement), but only half of a major call such as AC compressor replacement. That might not be a bad deal.

Now if price is $700, thats quite a few minor calls and covers a major call.

But, if you're going to pay $700 today, why not create a bank account called "appliance repair" and put the $700 in the account. And, if you buy a new washer or dryer, but the cost of that service contract into the same account. If after 10 years you haven't exhausted it, think how far ahead you'll be. Its call "self-insurance". Remember, companies like Trane analyze the failure rate of the parts and what they can expect to pay out in warranty claims. There will be those customers who use more than the price paid, but the majority will use less and Trane comes out ahead. Extended warranties are designed to make money. They are not charities or good-will.

Like any insurance, if you use it you were smart to buy it, if you don't you might feel like you wasted your money. IMHO, there's no right answer, its a judgment call.

Quote Originally Posted by wraujr View Post
    If using an Authorized Trane Installer, it is my understanding that you will get
    2 Years Parts and Labor and then 8 more years Parts only (total of 10 years parts).
    Your turning this into a priced discussion, and that can get it clode.

Your also wrong about the extended warranty.
    It can be purchased as parts and labor.
    Contractor locator map

OP Must Understand What They Are Buying vs. What They Already Have

"Your turning this into a priced discussion, and that can get it closed."

The prices mentioned are totally contrived and are meant for discussion purposes only.

"Your also wrong about the extended warranty. It can be purchased as parts and labor."

You missed my point, FIRST the OP must understand what warranty they're getting BEFORE they can understand what they are buying. If you replaced a whole system, you get 10 years parts so you're only buying 8 years labor.
    If you buy only AC, then you're buying additional labor and parts, so maybe spending more is worth it.

Ten years parts is if replacing, or installing a HP at the same time as you said.

Since he asked about furnace only, he getting 5 years on functional parts.

He can go to Trane's website and get the warranty info that you gave.

Your example price could have been said as XXX as well.
    Contractor locator map

Joe,
    In my case, complete system replacement, I purchased the Trane extended warranty because it took ALL the various components to 10 years parts and labor, period. There was not any linkage to an annual service contract and if this is ex. warranty is from Trane, there shouldn't be. When you look at all the individual warranties for each component. it seems like a decent deal. The components were:
    xL16i AC w/indoor coil
    XV95 Furnace
    T803 Thermostat
    Clean Effects
    My impression is that the contractor has flexibility on the contract price, so its up to you to determine a value that you feel is worth the peace of mind.
    Two contractors gave me two very different prices for warranty on the same equipment. Since you've had problems with your current system, you should have a feel for what a service call costs any maybe the cost of parts.

My components have been registered by serial number, but I haven't received the paperwork so I can't say whats in the "fine print".....

Double check on the 2 years parts and labor by authorized Trane installer as thats what the contractors told me and the Trane website implies that this is given when an xLi outdoor unit is purchased.

Bottom line, make sure you understand what you get standard and what you are paying extra for....

Quote Originally Posted by wraujr View Post
    Joe,
    In my case, complete system replacement, I purchased the Trane extended warranty because it took ALL the various components to 10 years parts and labor, period. There was not any linkage to an annual service contract and if this is ex. warranty is from Trane, there shouldn't be. When you look at all the individual warranties for each component. it seems like a decent deal. The components were:
    xL16i AC w/indoor coil
    XV95 Furnace
    T803 Thermostat
    Clean Effects
    My impression is that the contractor has flexibility on the contract price, so its up to you to determine a value that you feel is worth the peace of mind.
    Two contractors gave me two very different prices for warranty on the same equipment. Since you've had problems with your current system, you should have a feel for what a service call costs any maybe the cost of parts.

My components have been registered by serial number, but I haven't received the paperwork so I can't say whats in the "fine print".....

Double check on the 2 years parts and labor by authorized Trane installer as thats what the contractors told me and the Trane website implies that this is given when an xLi outdoor unit is purchased.

Bottom line, make sure you understand what you get standard and what you are paying extra for....
    You should read what you got as well, Trane extended warranties REQUIRE the system be maintained annually...
    We only want to do it, if we can do it right.

Oh yes, I did read.

Per Trane website:
    "Please note that routine maintenance is required as recommended in the owner's manual to ensure proper performance of the equipment. Repairs that are required due to lack of routine maintenance are not covered by the Trane Extended Warranty Agreement. Your independent Trane dealer can provide routine maintenance."

This is no different than oil changes and warranty on an automobile. Work doesn't have to be done by HVAC tech but if tech shows up and failed unit is buried in leaves, than warranty may be void.... But I don't need tech to remove leaves. The Proper Care and Maintenance clearly states what must and what should be done and all of which is common sense. Almost all is "inspect" this or that... While warranty REQUIRE (your emphasis) care and maintenance, it does not REQUIRE (your emphasis) it be done by an HVAC tech.

For sake of discussion (not as an argument), please feel free to offer example of something an HVAC person does as part of routine maintenenace that a homeowner can't do that would void warranty... And none of this precludes the fact that there are people who should get annual service contracts because they don''t know how or don't care to perform these annual tasks.....

I'll agree in advance that something like getting a call for a burner that won't light because its never been cleaned would not be covered under warranty, just like if my engine fails because I never changed the oil..

You said it all in your last statement, if a burner fails or anything else for that matter, because of lack of maintenance. You honestly think that any breakdown cannot be tied directly to lack of maintenence if the tech so implies it. Can you check voltages and pressures and temps of refrigerant, those are all part of a maint. agreements. I would hope that you don't need a tech to come and clean leaves out....
    We only want to do it, if we can do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by nashobasales View Post
    ... You honestly think that any breakdown cannot be tied directly to lack of maintenence if the tech so implies it. ...
    nashobasales, you're on thin ice with your assertion. It implies a willingness on the part of a tech to act dishonestly or in an uneducated manner to reach a conclusion that may not exist. You might be the reason we have the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

The fact that the vast majority of homeowners probably can't do the work is irrelevant as long as even one of them can. Otherwise, YOU'D have to call another contractor yourself just to keep your own extended warranty alive. In the example above, the Trane language doesn't say who has to do it.

Actually, what I said is burner fails to light because its dirty, not that it failed. The point was there was no part failure as a simple cleaning was required and you're back in business. So homeowner gets charged for service call as lack of maintenance was cause, not warranty problem.

Those checks you mentioned may be part of a maint. agreement. But they are not required to maintain the warranty. Whether they prolong the life of the system is subject to debate. In my case, sample of one, I went 15 years with nary a voltage or pressure check and the system survived. Even after the freon level was low and refilled 3 times over 18 months, nothing else failed as a result of low freon. Many of my neighbors went 13 - 15 years without yearly maintenance. Of course some of my neighbors need someone to come out just to make sure the filter is cleaned or replaced. And just to be clear, we are talking AC with NG furnace. Clearly things like an oil burner might need more maintenance.

Actually most failures CAN'T be truthfully tied to lack of maintenance: igniter failure, flame sensor failure, control board fault, compressor failure, freon leak, rusted AC pan. Any tech who would imply (and I'm not sure why they would bother) that these failed due to lack of maintenance would not hold up under scrutiny from their management or say the manufacturer's regional rep. Of course, if naive homeowner doesn't know better then they sure may be able to get away with it.

Hmm

Interesting thread,
    I have 1 more month to decide whether or not to get the 10 year extended warranty on my Trane XL15i/XV95 system. The installer gave me 6 months to decide (nice of him). I hesitated because of the fair/poor installation I recieved and the general lack of knowledge the installer has of my system, even though he is a certifide trane dealer. I basically had to go and learn what to do on this site and then tell them what to do to correct the flaws. The way the warranty was positioned to me is I would have to pay them for preventive maintenace each year to keep the contract valid (not sure if twice a year or once a year). What caused my hesitation was my lack of confidence in the installer and the fact that the price of the extended warranty was considerably higher than any hypothetical price mentioned in this thread .
    The more I've learned about HVAC ( which I admit is very little) the less I was enthuised about the warranty.

Still have a month to decide but ......

Key1
    In the land of the blind.....the man with one eye is king....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast