Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Air Handler Question

I have a Trane heat pump system that is 2 years old. The air handler is a TWE037E.

When the system is running, there is a noticeable "hiss" noise coming from the lower right-hand area of the air handler where the condensation drain pipes are attached.

Here is a pic of a Trane AH (not mine, but looks very similar):

The red arrow points to a small, square-shaped opening between the two drain outlets. The hiss noise is caused by air suction into the AH through that opening.

Is this opening meant to allow fresh, outside air into the system? And does this outside air pass through the filter?

Thanks,
    MBR

Air shouldn't be bypassing the filter and going through there. You may be able to seal it with thumb gum. Is it a lot of air? A very small amount may not be an issue, but it's best to have it sealed, as it shouldn't be pulling in air from unconditioned space.

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada
    When you get down on your hands a knees to listen to it, does it sound like an utra sonic train that is passing an office building?
    It's Time To Be Nice To People

It's just loud enough to be noticed, and I don't know exactly how much unconditioned air is being sucked in.

At first I thought it was a defect, but looking at the square "hole" with a flashlight, it definitely looks like it was molded into the plastic.

It would be easy to seal. I would have sealed it already but I wasn't sure what purpose it served, and I was afraid to "modify" a unit that was still under warranty.

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBR View Post
    It's just loud enough to be noticed, and I don't know exactly how much unconditioned air is being sucked in.

At first I thought it was a defect, but looking at the square "hole" with a flashlight, it definitely looks like it was molded into the plastic.

It would be easy to seal. I would have sealed it already but I wasn't sure what purpose it served, and I was afraid to "modify" a unit that was still under warranty.

Sounds like you need a pro to come check it out....those noisey things can
    get worse and affect your balance.
    It's Time To Be Nice To People

Quote Originally Posted by key View Post
    Sounds like you need a pro to come check it out....those noisey things can
    get worse and affect your balance.
    You're kidding, right?

Trane's air handlers should be AireTite TM.

Where is your condensate drain? Is this thing leaking water?

Quote Originally Posted by key View Post
    Sounds like you need a pro to come check it out....
    Sure he does. The pro will have professional tape. The homeowner only has tape from Home Depot and has no formal "Trane-ing".

Quote Originally Posted by rponson View Post
    Where is your condensate drain? Is this thing leaking water?
    No leaks anywhere. To the right of the hole is the condensate drain pipe, the hookup on the left is the overflow cutoff float switch.

The whole system has been working great, no problems. It's just that mysterious hole that has me puzzled.

Here is a pic I took late yesterday, the yellow arrow points to the square hole:

Looks like I'm not the only Trane owner with this unknown vent:

http://www.myhomeimprovement.com/?pa...&qid=3366&m=63

...an air vent hole which is part of the drain fitting...

A little dab of silicon caulk and problem solved.

It's supposed to be there.

If your condensate doesn't drain, water will exit there instead of into the duct where it might not be noticed.

Don't seal it.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    It's supposed to be there.

If your condensate doesn't drain, water will exit there instead of into the duct where it might not be noticed.

Don't seal it.
    Actually, you are supposed to seal it unless it is being used in downflow operation. We installed an upflow Trane AH on Tuesday, when I was starting it up, I was reading through the instructions, making sure the installers hooked up the primary and secondary drains properly (you can't tell by looking at the AH, I have to look at the picture to tell which is which), anyways, it had a picture of the little hole with an arrow going to it which says to seal it unless it is downflow. I don't know why, I didn't read it, I just remember seeing it and now this post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast