Workbench Local Station Abilities

I had a limited opportunity to use Workbench Pro on a local station copy. I had noticed all the points are in "stale" fault mode and the outputs do not change even when the points are overridden. I assume it is because the local station is not actually connected to the FX40 and controllers?? We will be purchasing WB in the future and I was hoping (for training purposes) to be able to see how points interact with one another without using the live FX40 database. Is it possible to get the point outputs to change state on a local station? I was able to override the input to a point but the outputs do not change while in fault. I tried the "Force Read" command and message said action could not be completed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hueyman View Post
    I had a limited opportunity to use Workbench Pro on a local station copy. I had noticed all the points are in "stale" fault mode and the outputs do not change even when the points are overridden. I assume it is because the local station is not actually connected to the FX40 and controllers?? We will be purchasing WB in the future and I was hoping (for training purposes) to be able to see how points interact with one another without using the live FX40 database. Is it possible to get the point outputs to change state on a local station? I was able to override the input to a point but the outputs do not change while in fault. I tried the "Force Read" command and message said action could not be completed.

Thanks
    The points are stale and in fault because the station running on WB does not have access to the field bus where your devices reside (be it LON, N2, bacnet, etc)

If this is a demo version of workbench (used for engineering purposes), field bus access is possible if your PC/laptop has the appropriate interface card. (e.g. pcmcia or usb LON card)

Tridium does not sell the supervisor/softjace with the field bus drivers licensed. This supervisor setup is designed to have subordinate JACEs. Only the demo engineering tool (license expires annually) comes with the field bus drivers licensed, and can basically run the stations just like a JACE would. So for example, if a jace somehow failed, you could leave your laptop on site running a backup of a station (except for ndio of course).

Is the "engineering tool" already part of WB Pro and is unlocked by the annual license or is it a different program all together? Also, if it gives you access to the field bus then which station actually operates the system, the local station or the remote station? What I would like to do is explore/experiment with the FX40 programming without exposing the system to my dumb fingers.

Thank You

Same program. Ideally you should engineer the station locally, then transfer the station to the remote host.
    It is actually much faster to engineer the station locally then to do it on the remote QNX-based host, although one of the nicest features is that you can make program changes remotely, as in across the Internet.
    I was emphasizing the differences between the supervisor/softjace version and the demo tool.
    They look identical - except one expires annually while the other has a perpetual license. By the way, I do not work with the JCI brand - but the tool is the same regardless of brand. The differences are in the modules.

Digo, thanks for the replies. When we purchase the software we will check into the level of licensing we need.