Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I don't have any subcooling info for this unit. So I did the next best thing that I know. Please share with me any subcooling info you might have for this application. I am here to learn from others smarter than I am.........thanks

Quote Originally Posted by correct View Post
    I don't have any subcooling info for this unit. So I did the next best thing that I know. Please share with me any subcooling info you might have for this application. I am here to learn from others smarter than I am.........thanks
    You should know before you put hands on gauges .pressure mean nothing if you don,t understand basic

Quote Originally Posted by kerreckt View Post
    Well finally got to the source of the problem. It seems that the suction valves were bad (very low suction pressure).
    Sweet! Usually bad valves =higher suction and lower discharge.

There were also small (very) leaks in the piping. Losing pressure over several days. Hooked up with copper to eliminate any seepage from rubber hoses. Sure 'nuff losing pressure.
    Get a new micron gauge if you achieved and maintained 500 microns last time.

Replaced with new condensing unit I put together using a Danfoss SC18CLX.2 compressor.Replaced some piping. Held 200psi for 48hrs. Pulled down to 250microns. Charged until I got some frostback (double tube system). Running at -10F.Everybody is happy.
    That's what counts.

Making and keeping the customer happy is what it's all about for me. You can say what you want but I have repaired many small units over the years....they stay repaired and the customer calls me back when other stuff breaks......I can't ask for much more......thanks for all the replies

Thats all well and good, however you should learn the proper way to accomplish the jobs. Charging until you see frost... was the box at design temp when you charged? If not, your throwing lots more refigerant in the system than is needed. When the txv closes down, the refrigerant will have to go some where. Now you may have gotten away with using these styles of repairs in the past, but mark my words IT WILL GET YOU. Also people are not as willing to help a person who for lack of a better term is a "hack".

This wasn't a txv but a double cap. system. You can call me a hack but I have fixed units that have been deemed "not worth repairing" by large commercial refrigeration companies and they stay fixed. Some for as long as 10 years. I am the person restaurants in my area call after the companies they have maintenance contracts with cannot make the units work for more than two weeks at a time. There are two manufacturers of small reach in boxes that want only me do their warranty work on units they have replaced because other companies had them messed up and they finally replaced them for the restaurant owner. So I guess being a hack isn't so bad after all. I am still grateful for any useful info people wish to share with me.

No offense was meant however I still stand by the statement YOUR LUCK WILL RUN OUT SOMEDAY>

good luck sir

Agreed, the parts that are luck will run out. The rest will speak for itself. I am always open for any constructive criticism. I know some of my methods are probably "old fashion"....maybe wrong. I do what I know works and operate by experience on most things.I learned by my uncles' side for many years. He was in the trade through the 50's,60's,70's,80's until 1992. He had great success in the Boston MA. area. There are a number of units in some of the old Italian deli's he worked are still running.....imagine that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12