Question about furnace insulation

I've been pulling my Aprilaire filter holder out about every 1 - 2 months to see how the filter is doing.

Today, I noticed that some of the insulation (actually looked like excelsior) peered below the edge of the cutout. I always shine a light inside to check for dirt inside the housing and to check the blower.

While doing so, I noticed some dust particles floating in the light beam. I tapped the insulation to see if that was the source of the particles, and it was.

I would like to seal the edge of the insulation to prevent further 'flaking' of particles. Since this is in the blower compartment (Rheem Mod), can someone recommend a sealer?

Thanks
    AM

We're not supposed to give do it yourself info, but if anyone wants to fight for the right to mess with a strip of insulation, report me. Contact cement or spray glue (use 3M) from the hardware store.

Some of the dust may have come off the filter when you moved it, and some dust sticks to the duct insulation, unavoidable, and that's a fact Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolmaniac View Post
    We're not supposed to give do it yourself info, but if anyone wants to fight for the right to mess with a strip of insulation, report me. Contact cement or spray glue (use 3M) from the hardware store.

Some of the dust may have come off the filter when you moved it, and some dust sticks to the duct insulation, unavoidable, and that's a fact Jack.
    Thanks for the tip. I would be surprised (actually, shocked) if the dust came off of the downstream side of the filter, since it's recessed inside of the holder. That insulation was from inside the furnace.

AM
    Last edited by ampulman; 09-21-2008 at 06:31 PM. Reason: add a sentence

Quote Originally Posted by ampulman View Post
    While doing so, I noticed some dust particles floating in the light beam. I tapped the insulation to see if that was the source of the particles, and it was.
    I have the AprilAire 2400 and noticed that too. There is now a new "kit" available from AprilAire which uses a new type of air filter and it addresses this specific issue.

The new kit seals things correctly and you can now use the new media type.

Quote Originally Posted by joe123 View Post
    I have the AprilAire 2400 and noticed that too. There is now a new "kit" available from AprilAire which uses a new type of air filter and it addresses this specific issue.

The new kit seals things correctly and you can now use the new media type.
    Interesting. As far as I can tell, I don't have a 'sealing' problem, as the housing is well-sealed to the furnace, and does not make contact with the furnace insulation. Likewise, the filter is farther away from the insulation. Also, the information I found regarding the kit seems to indicate old material being 'worn out'. As the unit is barely barely 3 months old, I don't think this is the problem.

What is the 'new media' you speak of? Can you provide a link?

Thanks for the info.

AM
    Last edited by ampulman; 09-22-2008 at 08:59 AM. Reason: add information

Quote Originally Posted by ampulman View Post
    Interesting. As far as I can tell, I don't have a 'sealing' problem, as the housing is well-sealed to the furnace, and does not make contact with the furnace insulation. Likewise, the filter is farther away from the insulation. Also, the information I found regarding the kit seems to indicate old material being 'worn out'. As the unit is barely barely 3 months old, I don't think this is the problem.

What is the 'new media' you speak of? Can you provide a link?

Thanks for the info.

AM
    The AprilAire is good filter, but it is not as well sealed as it should be and that is why they re-designed it.

The kit is right at their web site. You can find it here:

http://estore.aprilaire.com/index.ph..._category_id=3

So is this "kit" included with new filters being shipped now?

Quote Originally Posted by frankt View Post
    Call them and ask. The little I know is that you can buy the "kit" to be able to use the new media type.

Apperantly, there will be "new" boxes that will accomodate the new media and not the old media.

It is the other way around. You buy the (conversion) kit which includes one #213 (the new) media filter.

AM

Quote Originally Posted by joe123 View Post
    The AprilAire is good filter, but it is not as well sealed as it should be and that is why they re-designed it.

The kit is right at their web site. You can find it here:

http://estore.aprilaire.com/index.ph..._category_id=3
    I watched the video and from what I saw, the 'sealing' is at the top and bottom. The sides appear to be open.

Since te MERV rating is 3 more than the 201 media, I wouldn't go gaga about the increase in efficiency. So, I think I would hold off on the upgrade for a bit to see what the experience is with it.

AM

I was on Aprilaire's website earlier. Looks like the 2200/2400 have been replaced with the 2210/2410 and 4200/4400. Merv 13 and airflows Capacity of 2000 CFM. Same overall size except the width is now 6-3/4 vs 10".

I was on Aprilaire's website earlier. Looks like the 2200/2400 have been replaced with the 2210/2410 and 4200/4400. Merv 13 and airflows Capacity of 2000 CFM. Same overall size except the width is now 6-3/4 vs 10".
    Was there any information regarding pressure drop on the new media (as compared to PD of old)?

AM

Yes, Pressure drop at 2000 cfm's .35 for the 4200/2210 and .37 for the 4400/2410.