+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hole Pro cutter

Post Likes

Hole Pro cutter

Has anyone used this hole cutter? I need to cut holes for Mitsubishi units in plaster with wood lathes. Does anyone have a better solution?
    http://www.holepro.com/hvac.html

Post Likes
    A very fine toothed hole saw.

I would be very leery of using that on plaster since it has only two teeth.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Post Likes
    Yes...two teeth....I believe they might cause some damage especially when going into lath with the spaces between. Also the wire and metal lath might present problems.

Doesnt matter what that website says......they are trying to sell you something....use some common sense....

Id stick with a saw or hole saw...... just price the job accordingly...maybe include a hole saw per job.....or a couple....

Its the 21st century for goodness sakes...... where are all those fancy laser beam tools......

Post Likes
    Thank you, Thats why I ask.

Post Likes

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dngtig View Post
    Has anyone used this hole cutter? I need to cut holes for Mitsubishi units in plaster with wood lathes. Does anyone have a better solution?
    My company does mainly general and electrical construction and we do a lot of electrical prep work for our A/C sub (that's why I like this website). We have used the single blade ver. of this tool for years. Mainly for can lites. We tested it on plywood and it cuts like butter. It is a huge time saver and you do not need to vacuum the floor when your done. I'm going to buy the 2 blade ver. for my next big job. I would'nt buy this tool just to cut a few holes a year. Also, you can sharpen the blades on a bench grinder. If I was going to cut lath I would only buy the model with the 2 carbide blades. We think this is a great tool.

Post Likes

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dngtig View Post
    My company does mainly general and electrical construction and we do a lot of electrical prep work for our A/C sub (that's why I like this website). We have used the single blade ver. of this tool for years. Mainly for can lites. We tested it on plywood and it cuts like butter. It is a huge time saver and you do not need to vacuum the floor when you're done. I'm going to buy the 2 blade ver. for my next big job. I would'nt buy this tool just to cut a few holes a year. Also, you can sharpen the blades on a bench grinder. If I was going to cut lath I would only buy the model with the 2 carbide blades. We think this is a great tool.

Post Likes
    If only there was something like that for cutting rectangular and square holes. A round hole cutter doesn't do me much good.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    If only there was something like that for cutting rectangular and square holes. A round hole cutter doesn't do me much good.
    That's what I was thinking Mark....
    Look to the past to learn;look forward to live.

Coach Dean E. Smith

Post Likes
    The Fein Multi Master shows up on TV from time to time. Thought it might be interesting then saw a show on the Discovery Channel how surgeons cut sockets in bone for anchoring points. The tool they used looked identical to the multi master with the exception that the blade was narrower in width. There must be something to this tool. Has anyone here used it? The video at the web site shows it cutting through installed baseboard with very little mess. It should work well on lathe and plaster. https://www.4multimaster.com/vcc/fei...master/565765/
    Aircraft Mechanical Accessories Technician. The Air Force changed the job title to Air Craft Environmental Systems Technician. But I've decided I'll always be a Mech Acc.

Post Likes
    We use the Hole Pro adjustable hole cutters. We use the 8" model (cuts any size hole from 1-5/8" to 8" diameter) for both 6" ducting and for 4" Unico outlets. The hole cutters require a lot less power to cut than a hole saw so we can use 18v cordless drills even when cutting through 5/8" thick tongue and groove ceilings. We cut 29 7-1/8" holes in tongue and groove for Airtec diffusers on a job last week and it took my man less than 2 hours to cut the holes and complete the installation of the diffusers. With a hole saw it would have taken 3 times as long as even new hole saws won't cut as fast, and there is no 7-1/8" hole saw anyway and even the big and very heavy Milwaukee Hawg drills are rated for a maximum hole saw size of 4-5/8" in wood with a standard hole saw, and our DeWalt 600RPM drills are rated for a maximum hole saw size of 3-1/2" in wood. Same drills can easily cut a 12" hole in plywood or Hardie board using a Hole Pro hole cutter. The two teeth of the hole cutter minimize the contact area which is why the are so much more efficient and with no vertical vibration there is no delamination or cracking of the plaster. We average over 30 holes per set of tungsten carbide blades in plaster which works out to about 50 cents per hole - any no plaster duct in your eyes and ears or around the work area. When we do retrofits we don't even bother to move the furniture as the hole cutter shield collects all the shavings and the cut plug. Time is money and this hole cutter saves us a lot of time and has eliminated a lot of call backs from cracked plaster or accidental cutting of wiring or water lines when cutting into 5/8" sheetrock ceilings. After we bought one we have the guys in the other trucks fighting over it and I had to buy one for each truck.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in