Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 24

Thread: York Oil

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    48

    York Oil

    I have conflicting information on York Type 'L' oil specifications.

    One oil manufacturer says ISO 32.
    The other manufacturer says ISO 120.
    There is a big difference between ISO 32 and ISO 120 oil.

    I would just use York's oil, but I cannot bring myself to charge a good customer that high of a premium.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    243
    The oil situation used to be much simpler when we only had to deal with mineral oil and maybe one synthetic and the machines were turning 1800 RPM.With all of the changes that have taken place in the industry (bearing styles and materials, compressor speeds, seal clearances, etc.) I try to use the manufactures recommended oils. They all use additives for various purposes and get their price for it. The alternative may be an early failure and that few bucks you saved the customer may come back to bite you.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by kelvinator View Post
    I have conflicting information on York Type 'L' oil specifications.

    One oil manufacturer says ISO 32.
    The other manufacturer says ISO 120.
    There is a big difference between ISO 32 and ISO 120 oil.

    I would just use York's oil, but I cannot bring myself to charge a good customer that high of a premium.

    Thanks in advance.
    Of all the places to try and save a buck!
    If you mark up prices, use the correct oil and make more money.
    If you lose a compressor, will you tell the customer you "went cheap" on the oil.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    75
    YORK "L" is ISO 120 POE Oil used with DXS Screw Compressor on YCWS/YCAS Chiller.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    windy city
    Posts
    4,423
    use the oem oil and charge accordingly for it. the price difference is minor as it would prevent any potential nitemare $$$$$$

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    tidewater, va
    Posts
    2,135
    Please don't slam me too hard here...I understand what the OEMs are doing and I will even conceed that they know what is best for their machines, additives, etc. However, I needed a little "L"oil, not even a quart, because I wanted to prime an oil line...had to order 5 gallons minimum from york...and I needed it TODAY..crossed it through supply house to Emkarate RL32H.

    sometimes you have to do what you have to do...

    r404a

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Dixiana, AL
    Posts
    2,609
    junkson controls is pricin' theirself out of a job. I've got customers that tell me they'll never have another one 'cause they cost too much to keep up. Suniso used to make all the oil for York. I've had to get oil shipped from the mfg overnite, and had a 5 gallon bucket of C oil come in with a 4GS sticker under the York label. Same thing with E and F. They are 5GS and 3GS, respectively. You can also buy them all for about one third of what you pay York for their CPI manufactured "designer" oil. Manufacturers have simply thrown a scare into customers about the oil thing. Yeah, it's important, but we're not buildin' a watch, for cryin' out loud. They all have their own recipe, and you don't need to use oil with additives in certain applications, but there's no need to rape a good customer with what you charge for material. What about the old days when there was a list of recommended oils, as well as the manufacturers first choice. You could dump Texaco Capella D or WF 68 on top of 4GS all day and never lose a wink of sleep over it. No different than mixing Polyrex EM and Chevron SRI2. Long as the base components are the same, no problem, but they've gotten folks scared.

    And yes, York L crosses to Emkarate RL32H. Ironically, CPI makes Emkarate, also. Sort of makes you want to go "Hhhhhmmmmm.?.?.?"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,986
    I agree. If I need to get a chiller started that washed the oil sump out, Im adding the equivelent oil. No need to buy 5 gallons of expensive oil to just add a gallon or two gallons and pull it out once the oil charge is recovered. JMHO
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in the world.
    Posts
    1,595
    Quote Originally Posted by absrbrtek View Post
    I agree. If I need to get a chiller started that washed the oil sump out, Im adding the equivelent oil. No need to buy 5 gallons of expensive oil to just add a gallon or two gallons and pull it out once the oil charge is recovered. JMHO
    I also agree that JCI pricing is out of control and that they are pricing themself out of the market share with the other companys unfortunately I work for these bone heads right now and I listen to the customers all day long complaining about pricing and billing , its only a matter of time before it blows up.
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

    25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Here. I'm right here i tell you!
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by pete_d View Post
    YORK "L" is ISO 120 POE Oil used with DXS Screw Compressor on YCWS/YCAS Chiller.
    Correct. H oil is a rl-32 and k is a 68 I think?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Here. I'm right here i tell you!
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by r404a View Post
    Please don't slam me too hard here...I understand what the OEMs are doing and I will even conceed that they know what is best for their machines, additives, etc. However, I needed a little "L"oil, not even a quart, because I wanted to prime an oil line...had to order 5 gallons minimum from york...and I needed it TODAY..crossed it through supply house to Emkarate RL32H.

    sometimes you have to do what you have to do...

    r404a
    You might want to get a lab to check the oil. if the viscosity has dropped much you will have some scarring on the rotors and the bearings may not last to 50k hours.
    only trying to help.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by kelvinator View Post
    I have conflicting information on York Type 'L' oil specifications.

    One oil manufacturer says ISO 32.
    The other manufacturer says ISO 120.
    There is a big difference between ISO 32 and ISO 120 oil.

    I would just use York's oil, but I cannot bring myself to charge a good customer that high of a premium.

    Thanks in advance.
    Here is the source of the bad information on York 'L'

    http://www.nucalgon.com/assets/prodlit/3-245.pdf

    York 'L' is based on CPI Solest 120. I let Nu-Calgon know a couple of years ago their chart was wrong, and is causing confusion (if not the incorrect charging of the wrong viscosity oil into compressors), but it still exists.

    Rob Yost
    National Refrigerants
    Those that are unaware are unaware they are unaware.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Dixiana, AL
    Posts
    2,609
    Quote Originally Posted by RobY View Post
    Here is the source of the bad information on York 'L'

    http://www.nucalgon.com/assets/prodlit/3-245.pdf

    York 'L' is based on CPI Solest 120. I let Nu-Calgon know a couple of years ago their chart was wrong, and is causing confusion (if not the incorrect charging of the wrong viscosity oil into compressors), but it still exists.

    Rob Yost
    National Refrigerants
    Just got off the phone with Nu-Calgon due to another question that came up about this, and apparently my first post was misguided about the RL32H. Rob is correct in his info, and the Nu-Calgon technical rep is in the process of checking with CPI as we speak to try and correct the discrepancy. I'll post what he sends me as soon as I get it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event