Relocating Furnace / AC Air handler to Attic

Hi All.

First time poster We are moving our 5-Ton A/C system. The existing system is a Trane XL1000 condenser and XL80 Furnace about 9 years old. The Furnace and A-coil is currently in the garage and it is going into the attic. Condenser will stay outside.

We need a new a-coil because the furnace will be sitting on it's side instead of upright, so this is a good time to consider replacing the outside condenser. Our furnace is in excellent condition and we love the 2 stage system, so that's staying. I have an AprilAire 2400 for the air filter.

Some questions:

1) The re-located system will now be sucking air (return air) from the ceiling instead of the wall. Should I stay with our AprilAire 2400 air cleaner or install the grill type with door that have space for 2 inch filters? With the AprilAire 2400 I would have to go into the attic for filter changes, while with the grill type it's easier since I just open the grill and replace the filter.

2) What is the best platform to sit the furnace in the attic to reduce noise / vibrations? The furnace may sit close to our bedroom so I am concerned with vibrations transferring down the wall and into the bedroom / living areas?

3) I like to install a UV Light of some sort for air purification. What's recommended in terms of best bang for the buck?

Thanks,
    Joseph

Wow you are at a tougher decision. Were is your residence?
    Now could be the right time to upgrade you equiptment. Relocating the system is somewhat of a bigger job. Say in 4 yrs the equiptment is ready for replacement you will have to take on the cost again. It may be wise to look into a newer efficient system and kills two birds with one stone.

For noise I would say hang the unit from the rafters vs laying on the trusses. This should definately help to keep the noise level down to a minium.

The grill style filter is easier but you efficiency will be drgraded compared to a higher april aire media(4" or greater style) I would recomend that route vs the one in the grill. Youy should get 6-12 months with the media type.

Keep the 2400 on the furnace inlet, if there are any duct leaks it will catch the dirt where the filter grill will not
    Have them hang the furnace from the rafters and either spring mount it or place rubber pads between the rack and the furnace.

Thank you. Yes, we are evaluating replacing the condenser since we have to re-do the a-coil. I must say that the Trane system was worked flawlessly since day 1.

The furnace is in top shape and works very nicely with the 2 stage setup, so we will be keeping that.

The reason we are moving the system to the attic, is that some idiot architect back in 1980 made the air intake go through a wall, up over the bathroom, down a wall and under a cabinet before it reaches the furnace. This setup pulls everything between the studs in the house and it's not healthy. The air intake is currently restricted as well due to the long run and narrow passages that cannot be enlarged.

In the attic, it will be able to pull the air from the 2nd floor celling where all of the hot air is and we will be able to put large and correctly sized intake grils.

My HVAC friend who is doing the work said the ideal intake for our 5-ton system should be 500 sq inches, so he is going to place 2 large intake grills which combined will be around 700 or so sq inches.

Any comments on this or on the UV light setup?

Edit: Forgot - residence is Sothern California.

700 sq in of filter grille is a bit small for 5 tons.

2-20 x 30 return air filter grilles would be better.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    700 sq in of filter grille is a bit small for 5 tons.

2-20 x 30 return air filter grilles would be better.
    Sounds good. I am definitely going extra big since I have the space.

Is suctioning from the celling the best method as opposed to wall for AC?

Wall cavities don't have enough opening in them. The ceiling is better.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

i just saw the other 2 threads from you Joe.....now it all makes sense.

your side jobbing buddy can only get Gooman......or maybe your buying it yourself......duh. that's why these threads are so one sided. you really don't have any other option...do you? now you need technical info from here about airflow and u/v etc...stuff you friend isn't sure of.

boy was i right on the money....ANOTHER hacked Gooman in the works.

where's Robo when you need em? another Gooman out the door undercutting you Gooman fans. HA...laughable.

POST SOME PICS
    IBTL
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Quote Originally Posted by tinner73 View Post
    i just saw the other 2 threads from you Joe.....now it all makes sense.

your side jobbing buddy can only get Gooman......or maybe your buying it yourself......duh. that's why these threads are so one sided. you really don't have any other option...do you? now you need technical info from here about airflow and u/v etc...stuff you friend isn't sure of.

boy was i right on the money....ANOTHER hacked Gooman in the works.
    My Goodman (no pund intended), this is exactly where you fall into traps. I am here to verify and ask questions, that is what this forums are for not?

Don't assume that because I am asking, I have not already gotten an answer.

As to Goodman only brand - Like I said already, I currently have a Trane system which has worked flawlessly for 10 years, but the condenser is looking and sounding rather sad.

Looking back and the extra costs I spent on the Trane, verses the "cheap" brand my neighbor got around the same time, I can tell you with all certanty that the extra money IS NOT WORTH IT.

That is why I was asking about Goodman and if it was a good bang for the buck.

you've pumped these chumps for lots of info only for them to find out your giving it to a side jobber, even though you waste other companies time/money/gas for info, knowing full well they NEVER EVER had a chance at the job.

at least throw these guys a bone and post the before and after pics.

IBTL 2
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

you sure the a coil does not have a horizontal drain pan? carrier makes a sweet uv light drill 2 holes and stick it in

Quote Originally Posted by tinner73 View Post
    you've pumped these chumps for lots of info only for them to find out your giving it to a side jobber, even though you waste other companies time/money/gas for info, knowing full well they NEVER EVER had a chance at the job.
    Again, assumptions and misleading what I said. But this is your pattern is it not

Quote Originally Posted by mechanicalgsxr View Post
    you sure the a coil does not have a horizontal drain pan? carrier makes a sweet uv light drill 2 holes and stick it in
    HVAC person open it up (front side) and no, it cannot be mounted side ways. The Trane XE80 furnance can however - I also verify it with the manual.

Thanks about the UV light.