Thread: Need advice on problem with apartment a/c....

Post Likes

Need advice on problem with apartment a/c....

Got a problem with my apartment a/c and the maintenance guys can not seem to figure it out. Just looking for any ideas for them.

It has the electronic thermostat and I set it at 75 year around "hold temp".

Problem started last week, the inside fan unit shuts down leaving the outside unit running, and then inside fan turns on every once in a while, but the outside unit runs the whole time, and the lines form ice on them.

They tested voltage, and checked freon, and did a boost charge on it, then replaced the inside fan, and still the problem continues.

When I got home from work today, they said they could not recreate the problem and everything tests ok.

It just did it again, and the outside ran for 40 minutes without the inside fan, so I just went ahead and shut the entire system down on the thermostat.

Any advice, the maintenance guys are HVAC licensed, but they say that there is nothing they can do, because when they check it, it seems to be ok.

Thanks,

Post Likes
    Replace the indoor blower motor and capacitor. The motor is heating up after running for a long time and going off on thermal overload in all likelihood. It's possible there's a control board issue but I'd do the motor as the most common failure of that type.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes
    Fill up your fridge with beer, make sure you have PPV available, and tell them to stay there till it happens again.....and hope it happens pretty quick!

Post Likes
    what brand of unit is it?

Post Likes
    Call them while its not running.

Post Likes
    What does the indoor fan do when you set the fan to the 'fan on' position at the thermostat? Does it turn on every time, or just sometimes?

If it is a Goodman or a Janitrol I have a good idea of what the problem most likely is.

Post Likes
    Problem is the thing never seems to act up when they are here until after hours, and by time they get here it's running again. They spent an hour with it this morning while I was at work and it was fine the whole time, damn thing makes me look like a liar to them.

He said there is no protection on the fan motor, that if it heats up, it would just burn out and stop working. I'll have to look around to see what brand it is, as it's all built into the ceiling and wall.

Seems to me it would have a temp sensor and the motor is over heating, then starts running again when it cools down, like you guys have posted.

I plan to keep calling the emergency maintenance number everytime it does it, so at least it's documented.

They ordered a new outside compressor, saying that they would at least have that available if that is the problem, but they don't seem to really know.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by forcryinoutloud View Post
    What does the indoor fan do when you set the fan to the 'fan on' position at the thermostat? Does it turn on every time, or just sometimes?

If it is a Goodman or a Janitrol I have a good idea of what the problem most likely is.
    is the problem that its a goodman? lol

Post Likes
    it doesnt matter how long they stay the apt maint will not find the problem...tell them if its not fixed your not paying rent get them to call an actual tech that will figure out the problem in 5 min...and btw if they had hvac licenses they wouldnt work at an apt

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    Replace the indoor blower motor and capacitor. The motor is heating up after running for a long time and going off on thermal overload in all likelihood. It's possible there's a control board issue but I'd do the motor as the most common failure of that type.
    when something is bad you spank it...before you start replacing parts you have to figure out whats causing the problem

Post Likes
    In this case, if it is what I think it might be, then yes it would be because it is a Goodman.

I'm not one to brand bash, but I have repaired several Goodman air handlers that had issues with intermittent fan operation, and it was not the thermostat that was at fault.

Post Likes
    "They ordered a new outside compressor, saying that they would at least have that available if that is the problem, but they don't seem to really know.

They admit they dont know. They probably dont even know much about HVAC. It is a very simple problem to troubleshoot. Just stand there looking at it , aint gonna give them any clues. "they" need a new line of work.
    I'll be there when I get there and not a minute later

Post Likes
    First, the blower motor does have thermal protection. Its internal.

Post Likes
    you need to have a face to face with the apartment manager than if that doesn't get your unit fixed call her regional manager and have a face to face etc etc etc... chances
    are the management isn't even aware of your problem!!!!!!!!! anyone can get an epa card,, you say "they" and they still haven't fixed it -- it only takes one to fix the problem you are having

Post Likes
    Thanks guys, they figured it out FINALLY!

You guys were exactly right, the inside fan motor was connected to a relay and a capacitor, and with them replaced, all is well.

The maintenance guy brought his supervisor with him today while I was at work and the sucker wasn't working when they arrived, so they both got to see exactly what I was telling them.

I guess the supervisor knew what it was, because they had it done quickly.

Thanks again, this was kinda frustrating as I live in Texas, and have a Norwegian long hair cat (she don't do hot weather!), so a/c is a requirement here, and we are just getting some cool weather for this year!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in