Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do I have the wrong thermostat?

We just had a Lennox G60UHV variable speed furnace and a Lennox 13ACX A/C unit installed.
    The thermostat they installed was a White Rodgers 1f80-361. It specifically states in the manual that it is for single stage heat pump systems and DO NOT USE WITH multi-stage systems.

Did they install the wrong t-stat or is there something about the furnace that does not require a multi-stage t-stat? Is multi-stage different than variable speed?

Variable speed refers to the electrically commutated motor that's used to circulate the air through the duct system. (ECM Motor for rebate reference) Staging of the unit refers to a Hi/Lo output so that the system doesn't treat all cycles as the hottest or coldest day of the year. Both cooling and heating systems can have multi-stage equipment. I'm not a Lennox guy so I can't comment on the specific model you have now but it is possible you have a single stage furnace with a variable speed blower motor. But if I had any doubts and I were you, I'd call the installing company and ask them. Also be sure to check your contract against what's installed. Wouldn't be the first time a mistake was made!
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

furnace should have a 2 stage stat on it to get full benefit of 2 stage furnace.

it can be run with a 1 stage stat but not a heat pump stat.

It is a 2 stage furnace with a variable speed blower.
    So I assume this means it is in fact the wrong thermostat?

Its not teh proper stat.
    Its not the wrong stat, as the furnace can use its timer to go to second stage.

But I'd want my stat to control the staging of the furnace.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The if80-361 can be used for gas heat also but since you spent alot of money on a new sysem, I would request a two stage stat. You will be able to get the true use out of your 2 stage furnace. You might only have a 4 conductor stat wire going to the furnace and that's why they gave you a single stage stat. But it can run with what they gave you.

Thanks for the help.
    The house was built in '87. I replaced the stat a few years ago and if I remember right it was 4 wires. Does that mean I am limited to a single stage stat with the current wiring?

If u stay wired, then basically you are stuck dead in the water. They do make a wireless stat if running a new wire is out of the question. They are pretty pricey though. But your contractor should have discussed with you about what type of stat they were installing.

honeywell iaq would only need 3 of the 4 wires and would be able to slow the blower to dehumidify along with staging the furnace. it would also control a humidifier if you have one.

Quote Originally Posted by dmd-marc View Post
    If u stay wired, then basically you are stuck dead in the water. They do make a wireless stat if running a new wire is out of the question. They are pretty pricey though. But your contractor should have discussed with you about what type of stat they were installing.
    Yeah, he said they would be installing a 2 stage stat, but he never checked the wiring. I wasn't at home during the installation, but I'll give him a call tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    honeywell iaq would only need 3 of the 4 wires and would be able to slow the blower to dehumidify along with staging the furnace. it would also control a humidifier if you have one.
    Hmm, that's intriguing. I also have a humidifier. So it sounds like that stat would solve all of my problems? How hard is that to install? It can really do everything with only 3 wires?

Its only 3 wores from teh stat to the interface.
    The interface is mounted at or near the furnace. And all the other wires tie into it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by kosh5 View Post
    Hmm, that's intriguing. I also have a humidifier. So it sounds like that stat would solve all of my problems? How hard is that to install? It can really do everything with only 3 wires?
    You'll want to have a (good) contractor install this one as it involves interfacing the EIM with the equipment itself and other configuration to get the right results. Not a bad idea to use this one though due to wiring limitations.

OK, I've finished reading through the manual for this furnace. I was thoroughly confused before reading it and have a better understanding now. I really feel like I went down the rabbit hole here. I had no idea this stuff was so complicated. I thought when it was cold the heat turned on and when it was hot the A/C turned on.

So the furnace does have it's own built in timer mechanism for use with single-stage stats. So now my question is, do multi-stage stats also use a timer or do they look at temperature differential? I'm starting to wonder what benefit I would have going with a multi-stage stat at this point.

Thanks again for all the good advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast