Cheapskate Filter (funny but not really)

Skinflint co-worker of mine was talking about the $$$ he was saving this summer instead of buying filters for his central air, he was taping strands of paper towel to his return grill and pulling it tight as to not be sucked into the unit.

He said he changes them every 3 weeks during the cooling season and every 2 months during the heating season, and has no issues (that he knows of).

I asked if he thought the lint from the towels might be problem, and he countered w/can't be as bad as the dust let through by many fiberglass filters.

I tempted to not forward any suggestions to him from the experts and let him to his own peril, but being the good Samaritan I am......

Thank you (I think)
    AG

He might have a point about Fiberglas filters not doing any better. But given the fact that even his grocery store stocks pleated filters ... does this guy ever have any visitors? I'd think even a layman would look at his return grill and tell him he's a complete dork.

Yeah...... all that money the brain trust is saving on those silly nonsensical things... filters...

He'll need it for the new unit he'll be buying or for the additional insurance after he burns his house down,

Dillweed.
    Last edited by coolguysfl; 09-18-2008 at 01:04 AM.

Anyone who is concerned about the cost of a fiberglass filter might as well just not run his/her HVAC system at all.

What does a filter cost? At Home Depot/Lowe's, they cost less than a cup of coffee for the cheapos. About the same as a gallon of gas for the mid-grade pleated and for the good ones, the hourly wage for a McDonald's worker. If you calculate the cost of the tape, the paper towels and the time it takes to "make his own filter", he's in the hole vs. the cheapo and could buy the mid-grade for the same cost.

Could be a new marketing ploy by Bounty paper towels: "The quicker picker upper that doubles as a return air filter".

Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    Could be a new marketing ploy by Bounty paper towels: "The quicker picker upper that doubles as a return air filter".

Brilliant.
    Can't kill their decades-old rhyming. Try this: "The quicker picker upper for the HVAC lover."

Quote Originally Posted by deckeda View Post
    Can't kill their decades-old rhyming. Try this: "The quicker picker upper for the HVAC lover."
    Outstanding.

Or....

"The quicker picker upper for the no-filter stuffer"