Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Heatpump comfort

I have always understood that heat from a hydro air system is the most comfortable out there outside of Radiant. How does heat from a heat pump match. Is it dry, uncomfortable, drafty etc?

Is there any consideration to running the ducts -again I am reading that the ducts play an important role in making sure a heat pump distributes heat correctly - However i cannot find anything specific on this

Thanks again everyone

Like any duct system, it has to be sized to the CFM the rooms requires.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Like any duct system, it has to be sized to the CFM the rooms requires.
    Are there some considerations to duct placment (maybe all installers do this correctly) but i I thought i read somewhere that they need to be in the floors vs ceilings. I know any of the guys I have spoken to indicated that the flow ducts would be in the ceilings. Assuming the correct sizing - is this correct - or should the ducts be in lower to the floor, with returns in the ceilings

Also - if anyone can comment on heatpump feel and comfort from your experiance - I would appreciate it.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by doogan123 View Post
    Are there some considerations to duct placment (maybe all installers do this correctly) but i I thought i read somewhere that they need to be in the floors vs ceilings. I know any of the guys I have spoken to indicated that the flow ducts would be in the ceilings. Assuming the correct sizing - is this correct - or should the ducts be in lower to the floor, with returns in the ceilings

Also - if anyone can comment on heatpump feel and comfort from your experiance - I would appreciate it.

thanks

both ceiling and floor installations of ductwork have their advantages and disadvantages!

the "feel" of a heatpump while in heating mode can "feel" cold and drafty if the supply grills are blowing directly on you!

if the supply grills are not blowing directly on you then you have no problems and everything feels comfortable!

Quote Originally Posted by doogan123 View Post
    Customers ask me this question all the time. I have no idea what this means. My boss is more of a "people person", so whenever this question is asked, I just sort of fade away, and he takes over.

I mean, if you're in a house where the stat is holding a steady 72 degrees, then it's gonna feel like it's...well, 72 degrees. Right?

So. If you could do me a huge favor and explain in a bit of detail what you're asking, then I would be greatly indebted to you.

Quote Originally Posted by ECIndHVAC View Post
    Customers ask me this question all the time. I have no idea what this means. My boss is more of a "people person", so whenever this question is asked, I just sort of fade away, and he takes over.

I mean, if you're in a house where the stat is holding a steady 72 degrees, then it's gonna feel like it's...well, 72 degrees. Right?

So. If you could do me a huge favor and explain in a bit of detail what you're asking, then I would be greatly indebted to you.
    Furnaces put out 120F air temps, or so. If you feel the air coming out of the registers with your hand, it feels hot because your hand is around 91F or so.

Heat pumps put out air temps in the mid 90's. Their output temps drop as ambient temps drops. An output temp in the low/mid 90's may feel "cool" to the hand which is similar in temperature.

Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    Heat pumps put out air temps in the mid 90's. Their output temps drop as ambient temps drops. An output temp in the low/mid 90's may feel "cool" to the hand which is similar in temperature.
    Right, the registers don't feel as warm with the HP...but what does this even mean?

If you're in a room where the temperature is a steady 72 degrees, what difference does it make if the registers are a bizzillion degrees or negative infinity??

People switching from gas to a heat pump. Take a while to get use to the cooler temps of the heat pump.
    So at first, it may not seam as comfortable.

In a heating climate. Supplies in the floor, do a little better then supplies in the ceiling.
    If the supplies are in teh ceiling, you have to be a bit more selective about what register you use for heating.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Right, the registers don't feel as warm with the HP...but what does this even mean?

If you're in a room where the temperature is a steady 72 degrees, what difference does it make if the registers are a bizzillion degrees or negative infinity??
    It doesn't make a difference. People notice the register temps when they feel the air coming out, either by the register blowing the air onto them or by feeling it with their hand.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    People switching from gas to a heat pump. Take a while to get use to the cooler temps of the heat pump.
    So at first, it may not seam as comfortable.
    ...still confused about why it would matter if the HP is cooler...is not a 72 degree room a 72 degree room??????

...still confused about why it would matter if the HP is cooler...is not a 72 degree room a 72 degree room??????
    Repeating:
    People notice the register temps when they feel the air coming out, either by the register blowing the air onto them or by feeling it with their hand.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    Repeating:
    People notice the register temps when they feel the air coming out, either by the register blowing the air onto them or by feeling it with their hand.
    If it feels so cool to them standing over the registers, then why don't they just...you know...not stand over the registers???

If it feels so cool to them standing over the registers, then why don't they just...you know...not stand over the registers???
    Sometimes they are standing under the registers

I agree with you, not arguing with you. Just trying to answer your question on why heat pump air feels cool to some folks, especially those who are used to furnaces (as BeenThere stated).

Take care.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast