Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help SUB Cooling super heat issue

I have an american standard 13 seer 3 ton heat pump.The house is 1800 Sqft The out door unit and indoor unit are a matched set. The guy who installed it has been back four times. Since then I have been doing a ton or research and asking him questions. Well frist off the unit is not cooling properly. So he came back and the he said the unit was under charged. The subcooling should be set to 10. Well he set it to 33 because he charged it using super heat the frist time and set the super heat to 10. Well he came back and now recoverd the freon and set the subcooling to 14 and did not ceck the super heat. Well two weeks later it got up to 96 out side and the unit could not keep up. The house got up to 76 and ran all day there was a 10 degree split 63 out 73 in.
    Well he came back out and spent about three hours at my house. He set the subcooling to 10 but he said the super heat should be about 8 to 13 well it was 20 then settled at 18. He went to the air handler and disconnected the TXV. The super heat then came down to 2 so he said that was working. When he was checking the temps coming out of the vents it was 72 going in 60 coming out. He then charged it back to 33 subcooling 77 punds of suction and the temps came down and super heat came down to 11. Well its cooling not very well it has to run all the time to keep the house at 75. now the temps are 55 out at night 70 in. I had a three ton carrier 10 seer it keep this house cold and ran half as long as this one does. So can any one tell me whats the deal do I have a lemon unit? Is the TXV valve bad could there be contamination in the system?

You need to get him back

4 times is a lot, I would ask him to fix the problem or get someone there to fix it. I would have lost confidence in him already.
    Do it right the first time.

Time to call and have someone else look at

Time for a new tech.

Sounds like an R22 TXV on a R410A system.

Call another company if he can't fix it right.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Ironicly, about a month ago....
    I had to replace a TXV on a unit we had put in.
    410a system
    We diagnosed bad TXV on startup
    When I went back to replace the TXV,
    I noticed the original TXV head had R22 on it
    I put the new 410a TXV on and everything
    worked great.
    The air handler model #'s on the nameplate and
    on the evap sticker showed it was a 410a air handler

Can it be a 410 on r22

The out door unit is a r22 could it be the indoor unit TXV is a 410 ? Its an american standard 2/4TEC3f36b1000a

Quote Originally Posted by subzero47 View Post
    The out door unit is a r22 could it be the indoor unit TXV is a 410 ? Its an american standard 2/4TEC3f36b1000a
    The first # in your air handler model designates the refrigerant type 4= R410A
    2 = R22. It can't be both.

They are having some problems

I have done a few calls with problem TXVs also. Should be able to test them.

It's a two my owners manual says 2/4 but the air handler says 2. I opened up the air handler and there was nothing on the TXV that said 22 or 410.. One thing I noticed this guy used 3/4 inch tube and the airhandler is sized for 7/8. Will this have an impact? I am really under water with this at this point I spent to much on this system am not getting the intended performance and dont have any more money to call any one else. I just wish I had my old system at this point its was a three ton and worked fine cooling my home.

sounds like the refrigerant needs to be ajusted properly and the duct work needs to be checked for leaks. Most cases for td problems is leaks in the ducts

So why are you paying for his lack of knowledge

It's a two my owners manual says 2/4 but the air handler says 2. I opened up the air handler and there was nothing on the TXV that said 22 or 410.. One thing I noticed this guy used 3/4 inch tube and the airhandler is sized for 7/8. Will this have an impact? I am really under water with this at this point I spent to much on this system am not getting the intended performance and dont have any more money to call any one else. I just wish I had my old system at this point its was a three ton and worked fine cooling my home.
    We can not help you anymore than we already have. You have to phone him back and reason with him why he can not fix the unit, if not you will have to live with what you have.

Call him and ask him if he wants to call the Trane distributor to set up an appointment for teh Trane rep to come out, or if you should do it.
    That should get him to move on it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast