Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    what is the model # of the indoor coil??

could be a match to a current lennox unit.

if not using a lennox unit the indoor coil should be replaced to match new unit.

Quote Originally Posted by ECIndHVAC View Post
    Plastic fan blade was on the older 10/12 SEER units. It was a "gull wing" design.

But you're right. It's impossible to have quality without an expensive brand name, such as Goodman.

My reply to this thread was guiding the OP towards a more well known brand, the two of which I named, especially the Goodman, have been 100% trouble free for the many few I have installed.

The last thing I was looking for was a smartass remark from you.

My motto is simple equipment for simple techs. I wouldn't take a Trane, Lennox, etc unless the techs had degrees in mechanical engineering.

The only "name brand" unit I would take from a regular tech would be a Goodman, provided it's single stage and 80%.

Get prices on a matching system.

What ever brand the contractor carries will be fine.

Don't use a brand that doesn't have distributor support for parts.

Doesn't matter what the brand, if you need to wait for a part, its worthless till its running again.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by ECIndHVAC View Post
    My motto is simple equipment for simple techs. I wouldn't take a Trane, Lennox, etc unless the techs had degrees in mechanical engineering.

The only "name brand" unit I would take from a regular tech would be a Goodman, provided it's single stage and 80%.
    How about if I as a customer insisted my tech not be simple? Do not agree about the engineering degree, but I do want my HVAC pro to act as a consultant. There is no substitute for good training and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by pstu View Post
    How about if I as a customer insisted my tech not be simple? Do not agree about the engineering degree, but I do want my HVAC pro to act as a consultant. There is no substitute for good training and experience.
    Depends on what you mean by "not simple." In my area, virtually NO heating contractor has a basic 4 year degree. Majority don't even have a trade school degree. Ah, the wonders of grandfathering...but that's another story. Anyway, one of these days when I have time, I'll put my advanced brainpower to use and completely dominate the local market.

If the existing unit satisfied your cooling needs for the last 8 years I would say that the system is most probably sized correctly.
    If the unit is still running it most certainly doesn't have a burnt compressor (yet).
    There are many times that just a capacitor change can keep the unit running for years so unless it trips the circuit breaker or the compressor quits all together I'd take my time and study all available options.

If the condenser (outside radiator) is in good physical shape (no corrosion)
    I would change the compressor itself and stay with the same unit.
    The capacitor should be changed at the same time for the few dollars it costs and I'd pop in a few extra dollars and change the contactor (relay that starts the compressor) at the same time if it shows any signs of overheating.

Is the evaporator installed in a furnace or is this an attic type system.
    If it is installed in a furnace what type of heating system does your house have?
    Have you considered going with a heatpump which may save you some money in heating your home?

If I were to purchase a new system a Rheem is a system I like for easy access to all components for servicing the unit.

Any system you purchase if it will be run in weather below 60F should have a low ambient kit installed which will cycle the condenser fan to keep the head pressure up. It should also have a crankcase heater and high and low pressure safeties.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12