Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gustav Hurricane Damage

I've been lurking on this board for a few days and learned just enough to be dangerous. I had a tree go through the bedroom end of my house and damage the HVAC unit. No electricity has been applied to the unit since the hurricane. Their is visible damage to bedroom ductwork(completely collapsed and open to outside weather.) The return plenum has a hole big enough to drop a basketball into. The gas furnace is dented in 6 or so inches. The evaporator has external damage. The external condenser had no visible damage.
    Inside house is all original 31 year old York equipment. Outside condenser is approx. 9 yr. old York Stellar, I believe it is 10 seer.
    I live near Baton Rouge, LA. Very high humidity and 90+ temps.
    All present equip is 4 ton. Was able to cool house comfortably. Ran near continuous in daylight in summer.
    Three estimates so far. All suggest replacing inside and outside units. Reasons range from HVAC being "system" so you don't mix seer. Warranty problems with mismatching. Two weeks system open to humid air. etc.
    Estimates high to low.
    1. Bryant 4 ton 13 seer, all new ductwork.
    2.York Affinity 4 ton 13 seer, all new ductwork.
    3. York LX series, 4 ton 13 seer. replace only bedroom ducts with flex.
    I understand installers would lean toward full system inside and out reinstall. Insurance adjuster leans toward just inside install. As homeowner I tend to agree with installers.
    Question? Feasibility of mixing 10 seer and 13 seer equip. Explanation simple enough for homeowner and adjuster.

I am just a lowly homeowner.

If it were me, and I lived in your climate and ran the system most of the year, I would replace the whole system since the condenser is 9 years old. I would step up from a builder's grade 13 SEER to a 14 SEER and get a variable-speed blower in the air handler for better humidity removal. The 14 SEER would have a higher EER (Energy Efficiency Ratio) and would be cheaper to run than the 13. If you can afford it, a 2-stage condenser (16 SEER) will provide better even better humidity removal.

If you have decent electric rates, you can consider a heat pump condenser instead of a straight a/c condenser. You can use the existing gas furnace as back-up/auxillary heat.

Best to you in your recovery effort. God bless and take care.

If the 10 SEER condenser is not damaged. You don't need to replace it when you replace the indoor equipment.
    The system will work fine in that type of a SEER mismatch.

However. You are then locked into the SEER limitations of that indoor coil, when you do have to replace the outdoor unit some years down the road.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

was anyone inside the home????????
    sure dont ever need another like it,IMO
    where in BR you at?
    The government works for me. I do not answer to them, they answer to me.

we need a few more sheep dogs to keep barking at the wolves,and the stupid sheep

A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Wife and kids were in the living room. Two of the neighbors oaks fell. One on house and one in front yard. About 3 ft. diameter each. I lost one magnolia and one pecan. Half a black cherry tree. We're in Prairieville.

House under there somewhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

When you install a 13 SEER with a 10 SEER the efficiency of the total system is somewheres in between 13 and 10..sometimes as low as 8 SEER.
    If you plan to stay in your home, your best investment would be to upgrade the total system to 13 SEER (which is the lowest efficiency now produced) upgrading to 14 SEER would be advisible if within your budget.
    Making othe improvements to your home would also qualify you for a state rebate through the La dept of natural resources. The program is Home Energy Rebate Option or HERO.
    In our area (I'm near Lafayette) heat pumps are a good savings as winter heating costs are much lower than electric strip heating.
    Lost part of my roof during the hurricane ..have to re-place the part of my radiant barrier in the attic..hoping to get to it this weekend...or after ins adjuster shows up.
    Best of luck to you.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Quote Originally Posted by energy_rater_La View Post
    When you install a 13 SEER with a 10 SEER the efficiency of the total system is somewheres in between 13 and 10..sometimes as low as 8 SEER.
    I believe that is with a 10 SEER indoor coil and a new 13 SEER condenser. He has the opposite.

Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    I believe that is with a 10 SEER indoor coil and a new 13 SEER condenser. He has the opposite.

Take care.
    Si

But you still don't have a matched sytem to benchmark performance if one is so inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jeff View Post
    House under there somewhere.
    cant see it,wont let me click it

we are neighbors, I am in G-town
    The government works for me. I do not answer to them, they answer to me.

we need a few more sheep dogs to keep barking at the wolves,and the stupid sheep

A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

A 13 SEER coil will work with a 10 SEER condenser (outside unit). However, an outside 13 SEER will NOT work with a 10 SEER coil inside.

My advise: Get the whole system. See if you can get the insurance co to understand that the system would be mis-matched, and spring for the whole thing. One of your contractors may be able to send along a few paragraphs to the ins co in a proposal to help them understand.

On the other things: The variable speed furnace would be at the top of my list. The reason is that one can set it up with a 2 stage cool T-stat and have a de-humidify cycle. And since I have visited NO many times, I know your weather... Most of the time, a 13 SEER installed correctly with a VS furnace will yeild 14 SEER anyhow. I would place the upgrade A/C lower on the list.

Also, most VS furnaces are 2 stage heat. They save $$$ in N-gas on mild evenings, and as I remember your area does not get that cold.

Another accessory to consider is a 'media' type air fliter. They are similar to a pleated 1" filter, but 5" thick. They catch a lot more dirt/dust, and your change intervals are between 6 and 9 mos. Everyone likes cleaner air to breathe.

Good luck with your ins co. Sometimes we just have to help them understand...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    However, an outside 13 SEER will NOT work with a 10 SEER coil inside.
    Don't lie to the man. Yes it will work and COOL fine. It just won't be a 13 seer. And if he gets an indoor unit with a TXV, I bet it works out to be a 12seer.

Dear homeowners........I feel sorry for you.

Back when 10 seer was common, just by adding a TXV got you a 12 system. But don't get all excited. A 10 seer cools just as well as an 11,12,13 seer. But it may cost you, oh,, 5 or 10 bucks more a month.

And, at that rate, it will pay for the upgrade in......oh.....maybe around 2028!

Quote Originally Posted by Leo3006 View Post
    Don't lie to the man. Yes it will work and COOL fine. It just won't be a 13 seer. And if he gets an indoor unit with a TXV, I bet it works out to be a 12seer.

Dear homeowners........I feel sorry for you.

Back when 10 seer was common, just by adding a TXV got you a 12 system. But don't get all excited.
    I don't recall any 10 SEER condenser that got 12 or 13 SEER just from adding a TXV to the rated 10 SEER evap coil.
    Many only got a .2 SEER increase. Some a .5 increase.
    If any actually got more then a 1 SEER increase, the coil was already oversized, and gave the condense more then a 10 SEER rating with a piston.
    Or it was on a VS blower.

Matching a 13 SEER condenser to an old coil that was designed for 10 SEER loses efficiency, and capacity.
    So in many instances, a 3 ton, may end up only being a 2.5 ton.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast