Amana asx16 5 ton for 2500 sq ft?

I have been quoted an Amana asx16 with matching 96% 100k btu furnace backup. Will also have all new ducts installed. Is this a decent system? Do I need a 5 ton? I currently have a 3 ton 10 seer and it cant keep up at all. My electric here is 6 cents Per kw. here in ky. It can be 95 and can get to 20 sometimes. The home is 2500 sq ft, and the ducts are from the 60's when the home was built. I have had blown insulation in the attic and new windows installed. Is this the best route to go?

5 ton for 2500 sq ft in Kentucky sounds way too high. The 3 ton was probably right, just duct issues kept it from cooling. Best bet is have a GOOD dealer do an accurate load calc with the new insulation and windows, check the duct system and go from there. Chances are your ducts now are undersized for 3 ton, will be horrid for 5 ton.

Sounds like your contractor is guessing a lot.
    Big jump from 3 to 5 tons.

When you say it couldn't keep up. What temp did you have the stat at, and how hot did it get in the house.

Ask your contractor to do a load calc.
    If he tells you he know by experience.
    Look for other contractors.

If you can't find any in your are that do load calc, you can do your own.
    http://hvaccomputer.com/talkref.asp
    Its a 50 dollar fee to use it.

Also, If your house needs a 3.5 ton, a 2 stage 5 ton still won't be able to control humidity. So don't buy into that BS line.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

In the summer i like to have it set at 70 or so. If its hot out it will only get to 76 or so and run like hell, all of the time. Winter is fine b/c someone put a 160k btu furnace in here, which is quite large, but it eats gas. So ask them to do a load calc to determine what size is needed?

Also new ducts will be going in all around.

risk to high not to have load calc.

As a non pro you can dismiss my 2 cents but I will drop them in the pan anyway….

If you are getting a new outdoor unit, matching coil, new furnace (air handler) and all new duct work you are clearly spending some real big coin. This purchase will be with your home a real long time.

I would say a load calc. is a must. Just common sense, God forbid you spend that much and the system is sized wrong. Very expensive mistake.

I would do your own and then compare your numbers to any numbers the company may provide.

Best of luck.

If its only losing 6 degrees. Very Very doubtfull you would need to go up more then ½ a ton, to 1 ton max.
    Meaning worse case a 4 ton.

So yes, a load calc is needed.

And as said earlier, it could be your existing duct system that is causing most of the trouble.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by mothergoose45 View Post
    I have been quoted an Amana asx16 with matching 96% 100k btu furnace backup. Will also have all new ducts installed. Is this a decent system? Do I need a 5 ton? I currently have a 3 ton 10 seer and it cant keep up at all. My electric here is 6 cents Per kw. here in ky. It can be 95 and can get to 20 sometimes. The home is 2500 sq ft, and the ducts are from the 60's when the home was built. I have had blown insulation in the attic and new windows installed. Is this the best route to go?
    if you were in texas in an old frame house with 8 ft windows i would say yes.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

So i would prob be looking at a 4 ton more likely?

Quote Originally Posted by mothergoose45 View Post
    So i would prob be looking at a 4 ton more likely?

You need a Manual J heat gain/loss calc to determine proper system sizing. No ifs, ands, or butts.