How harmful is it to a trane system?

How harmful is it to a trane system?

I am getting a 3 ton heating and AC trane unit installed in my home. I am having difficulty with the installation. They installed the system and turned it on for 8 hours with no duct work. I found the filter completely full because it was in area full of blown insulation (attic). The coils were filthy. I was able to pick out insulation all over the coils even with the filter. They were willling to acid wash my coils or replace the system. I opted for replacing the system.
    They thought they had finished the installation but my system froze up. The first time it was on for only an hour and then stopped working. It had been turned on three more times by the tech. They just realized that they did not do the calculation correct and I needed two more return vents.
    Okay, my question. If this system was run without the correct return vents for days does it hurt the system? Does this problem create wear and tear on the system? I am paying for a new system I need to know if this is used or not. I must admit I dont believe what they are telling me just from the history so far.

Thumbs down Mistakes will be made...

Quote Originally Posted by etalc View Post
    I am getting a 3 ton heating and AC trane unit installed in my home. I am having difficulty with the installation. They installed the system and turned it on for 8 hours with no duct work. I found the filter completely full because it was in area full of blown insulation (attic). The coils were filthy. I was able to pick out insulation all over the coils even with the filter. They were willling to acid wash my coils or replace the system. I opted for replacing the system.
    They thought they had finished the installation but my system froze up. The first time it was on for only an hour and then stopped working. It had been turned on three more times by the tech. They just realized that they did not do the calculation correct and I needed two more return vents.
    Okay, my question. If this system was run without the correct return vents for days does it hurt the system? Does this problem create wear and tear on the system? I am paying for a new system I need to know if this is used or not. I must admit I dont believe what they are telling me just from the history so far.
    If the unit ran for days and days on end, and kept freezing up repeatedly, the system could sustain some damage. You stated that the system was turned on once for an hour, then was turned on three other times by the technician in order to diagnose the problem. Do you have an existing system that is now being replaced with a new Trane system? Is this new system a variable speed system? If you are upgrading to a variable speed system from one that was not a variable speed, proper airflow is critical in these kind of systems

to answer your question, your system is still new. Nobody can tell you for sure, if long term damage has been done or not but it is doubtful considering the very short period of time it was run for. Sounds like you have a pretty decent company installing your system, not real sure about the installers and their capabilities, it appears that they are trying to make you a happy customer. Besides, the addition of more return outlets is a good thing, and the more return air the merrier! Give them a chance to correct their mistakes and make good on their offer. Good luck with your new system and enjoy!

"If the unit ran for days and days on end, and kept freezing up repeatedly, the system could sustain some damage. You stated that the system was turned on once for an hour, then was turned on three other times by the technician in order to diagnose the problem. Do you have an existing system that is now being replaced with a new Trane system? Is this new system a variable speed system? If you are upgrading to a variable speed system from one that was not a variable speed, proper airflow is critical in these kind of systems"

It stopped working after an hour but stayed on for a day. I kept turning it on again and finally I called for service because it was not working. I do not have an existing system but I am getting a variable speed system. It is all a completely new installation to include the duct work. Does this make a difference?
    I really appreciate your response. I completely understand mistakes because we all make them but I want the correct fix and I am not sure what that is in this case. If you know where I can read information of this variable speed system and find out more information I would be grateful. I really appreciate the response. Thank you.