Does WD40 aborb moisture in gas of a range, oven or furnace?

I am a present student. In class, our teacher told us that the WD40 can absorb the moisture in the gas. How come? What's that theory? Waiting for explanation! Thanks a lot!

WD does stand for water displacement......hmmmmm....good question

I don't think "water displacement" would mean that it could absorb water. I think it means it will "push" water out of the way and take the place where the water was.

Besides why would you want that in your oven?? I wouldn't try it.
    I never let schooling interfere with my education... Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ISOTHERMAL View Post
    I don't think "water displacement" would mean that it could absorb water. I think it means it will "push" water out of the way and take the place where the water was.

Besides why would you want that in your oven?? I wouldn't try it.
    Exactly. WD-40 is not desiccant in a spray can.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

WD-40 contains kerosene, I think. Not my first choice for range, oven, or furnace.

Had an old Dodge van that would start on rainey days. Sprayed WS 40 on distributor cap to displace the moisture and it started up no prob. Damn vans all would get a crack in the cap. Didn't find that out 'til they corrected the prob.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacrwen View Post
    I am a present student. In class, our teacher told us that the WD40 can absorb the moisture in the gas. How come? What's that theory? Waiting for explanation! Thanks a lot!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

Me thinks your teacher is misunderstood.

Exclamation

when crude oil is refined, one of the techniques is to pass it through a bath of solvent to absorb certain hydrocarbons out of it. Possibly, the teacher had something similar on their mind that the solvents in WD-40 absorb certain gases other than water vapor. To remove water, they can cool the gas below dewpoint or use pressure and dessicants.

I think they are a little confused as spray WD-40 is hydrophobic--not hygroscopic

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    when crude oil is refined, one of the techniques is to pass it through a bath of solvent to absorb certain hydrocarbons out of it. Possibly, the teacher had something similar on their mind that the solvents in WD-40 absorb certain gases other than water vapor. To remove water, they can cool the gas below dewpoint or use pressure and dessicants.

I think they are a little confused as spray WD-40 is hydrophobic--not hygroscopic
    hydrophobic ? Ain't that the reason they shot poor Ole' Yeller? ~sniff, sob~

FISH OIL

fish oil with the odor removed!!

Its the age old does water and oil mix question?? NOPE, it doesnt absorb it, just moves it on over!!

thats how printing presses work.. ink is kept off the paper with water base stuff so the ink doesnt stick to that area....