R6 or R8....Big Deal for Flexible Ducts???

The contractor will be running new ducts installing a new system in the attic. The home is 1900 sqft and has 11 supply vents and 2 returns. Location is central Oklahoma.

Will it make much of a difference by going with the better R value???

Thanks!

Rick

Use the R8 .Its much thicker.There's technical reasons but you can look at it and say wow thats better stuff . And also insulate under the floor. Good luck

Its code.

It will lose less heat in the winter, and gain less in the summer.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Not sure what you mean by "also insulate under the floor." ???

Thanks for the reply!

Rick

Are you saying it code for Oklahoma City that ducts will have R8 insulation???

Thanks!

Rick

Its IECC.
    International Energy Conservation Code.

Which the IMC, and IRC, and IBC both reference.
    International Mechanical Code
    International Residentail Code
    International Builders Code

News ducts, should be installed to code.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The item that stuck out is there is only 2 returns for 11 supplies. If there is new duct in the attic, I'd like to see more returns, rather than two big central ones. JMO.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by tinmarine View Post
    The item that stuck out is there is only 2 returns for 11 supplies. If there is new duct in the attic, I'd like to see more returns, rather than two big central ones. JMO.
    Is this for additional air flow or better distribution of air thru out the house???

The house has an atrium. One return is close to the bedrooms and is located in the hall. The other return is located in the living room and probably pulls air from the kitchen, dining room and living room. One company is wanting to increase the size of the return in the hallway. I can't read the number thou.

Thanks

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Indycar29 View Post
    Is this for additional air flow or better distribution of air thru out the house???

The house has an atrium. One return is close to the bedrooms and is located in the hall. The other return is located in the living room and probably pulls air from the kitchen, dining room and living room. One company is wanting to increase the size of the return in the hallway. I can't read the number thou.

Thanks

Rick
    I don't care much for central returns because IMO doesn't give the proper circulation than with individual returns. If you have central returns, than you either rely on the undercut of the doors, transfer grills in the doors or transfer grills in the walls. Either way doesn't give proper flow than if you have a grill in the bedrooms. Plus, there always seem to have parts of certain rooms that have a different temp than the rest. Plus, I don't like using flex either. That is just MY preference, but I like metal ducts vs. flex. With metal, you know there won't be any crushed runs. Not bashing any installers, but not everyone holds the same standards as others, I'll just put it that way. These are just my opinions and no one elses. I cannot say that your contractor is doing it wrong as I have no idea what your house is laid out, weather, insulation, blah,blah,blah...... Take it just how it is, an opinion.
    Jim