Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I need help in Toronto

Good god! What is the matter with all the employers in Toronto. I am qualified to become a third year apprentice with all the experience I have and I'm on the third employer who won't sign me. This is ridiculous!. Why must everyone keep there thumb on my face. The company has the spot open and they keep telling me no. I have been waiting for three years, I think that is long enough. The worst part is I'm not even asking for more pay. I just want my paper so I can do the work legally and go to school. I work for a company that doesn't always do things right, they deduct hours from my cheque when they think it's nesscessary, I dont get overtime, I have a POS truck with no shelving I have to buy all my own tools (yes even the big ones like combustion analyser and recovery machine) and my paperwork is on time and perfect every week.

Now that I have gotten all that off of my chest can somebody please help me. I have decent resume, lots of experience in A/C, Refrigeration, Big Boiler, my G2 ticket, ODP, various safety ceftificates. I'm hard working and have a pile of references and I know my place as an apprentice is to always help journeymen and be constantly learning. Someone please help! Please feel free to contact me anytime. Thanks,

Cool

employers will mess with you(only) if you allow it to happen. there are many ways to stick it to them,but in the end you might as well look for another place to work.for me work is a triangle,(me-company-customer)not allways in that order,but all 3 should get equal time at the top. try getting in local 787.even unionized companies mess with people. but at least your making $100,000+ as a journeyman.
    Last edited by brianzeke; 09-16-2008 at 09:14 PM.

With the summer we just had things are SLOW here in Toronto. We have been pretty busy this summer, but are not hiring.

Where are you going to school for your 313a?

I'll let you know if I hear of anyone hiring.

Get yourself a professional membership, it is well worth the effort.

Smile

hey mario,how many vans do you have on the road??

Thanks for the repy guys. I know the guys are taken care of very well from what I here and even there I hear there are problems. As far a school goes I can't even get into school because I'm not registered in the 313A program with the province. The apprenticeship board says I need an employer to sponser me, no sponsor, no registration, no school. I am thinking of starting to do my own schooling at george brown at nights but don't know if they will credit me at the apprenticeship board from what I hear they won't.

Even worse I hear from a friend of mine who just completed basic refrigeration theory last spring that in there theory classes had about 10-12 people from St-Stevens Adult high school doing the theory with the apprentices. Are you kidding me! The guys in the class where saying that the people where sleeping in class and showing up whenever they wanted to. How the hell is that happening. This is a crock of #@!*.

Again thanks for the reply to the thread gentleman. It at least feels good that someone is listning to the troubles going on. If you here of anything, let me know. I can fire a resume to anyone right away for a review. Much appreciated.

PS- I will work on getting that pro membership. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by PAPMG View Post
    Thanks for the repy guys. I know the guys are taken care of very well from what I here and even there I hear there are problems. As far a school goes I can't even get into school because I'm not registered in the 313A program with the province. The apprenticeship board says I need an employer to sponser me, no sponsor, no registration, no school. I am thinking of starting to do my own schooling at george brown at nights but don't know if they will credit me at the apprenticeship board from what I hear they won't.

Even worse I hear from a friend of mine who just completed basic refrigeration theory last spring that in there theory classes had about 10-12 people from St-Stevens Adult high school doing the theory with the apprentices. Are you kidding me! The guys in the class where saying that the people where sleeping in class and showing up whenever they wanted to. How the hell is that happening. This is a crock of #@!*.

Again thanks for the reply to the thread gentleman. It at least feels good that someone is listning to the troubles going on. If you here of anything, let me know. I can fire a resume to anyone right away for a review. Much appreciated.

PS- I will work on getting that pro membership. Thanks again.
    you picked the wrong trade my friend, it's only going to get worse. i am going back to school to become a doctor.

Talking

Well I don't post much here but as a retired contractor G1 OBT1 and refrig,Building sciences etc etc....I still know nothing!!!
    I can tell you about this..some of the wages paid today like $15.00-$17.00 hrly. I was making in '95.
    Theres no job security either.
    If its a union shop thats different but if you work for xyz heating and cooling you are here today gone tomorrow.
    Chances are you will be in a small shop.
    And theres a high turnover of them.
    The utilities sell most of the installs now on customers gas bills.
    If your small shop does those jobs its for pegged dollars and some guys on piecework...no money in that really.
    The regualtions with tssa stuff your responsibility for anything deemed to be put to you isn't really worth it.
    If a cross fell off a church......you will be blamed for it.

Quote Originally Posted by tyreman View Post
    Well I don't post much here but as a retired contractor G1 OBT1 and refrig,Building sciences etc etc....I still know nothing!!!
    I can tell you about this..some of the wages paid today like $15.00-$17.00 hrly. I was making in '95.
    Theres no job security either.
    If its a union shop thats different but if you work for xyz heating and cooling you are here today gone tomorrow.
    Chances are you will be in a small shop.
    And theres a high turnover of them.
    The utilities sell most of the installs now on customers gas bills.
    If your small shop does those jobs its for pegged dollars and some guys on piecework...no money in that really.
    The regualtions with tssa stuff your responsibility for anything deemed to be put to you isn't really worth it.
    If a cross fell off a church......you will be blamed for it.
    yep. this trade can go straight to hell and take the scumbag owners right along with it. i will be elsewhere.

When I started in the trade in '75 things were pretty good.
    Lots of oil,gas service future replacements leading to ac and other work.
    At one time the oil company we were affiliated with did the financing for furnaces,ac and the free service they provided then they quit all that..1st major change.
    No utility involvement other than some inspection/meter changeouts and their checkups.

AC was coming in more mainstream not just for the rich and famous
    Sidenote: you couldn't get a ton and half split then.

We did Clare Bros. ac units with the flared connections and service valves for $1799.00 installed(yeah I know we see some prices like that today 30 plus years later!!!)
    We figured a net of $600 profit.
    We paid our sheetmetal installer guys $10-$11.00 per hour.

Then came the off oil rebate program which artificially accelerated the furnace changeout rate(to many to quick)along with new companies coming in on its coat tails but in it long enough to change things.
    Next we had the utilities start selling equipment.
    Thou union was for awhile but not enough of a dent really.
    I mean its pretty easy to take over that because you can offer it on the gas bills and small dealers can't match the financing rates.

I personally know of many small guys who just threw in the towel in the middle 90's in the Kichener area when the utilities branch started selling furnaces and ac.
    one had 5 trucks on the road and was very profitable!!!
    As they and I said with union doing it you could still compete and you had another area but with both utilities selling you are a done duck.
    When the tssa started in place of fuels safety even more left the business I knew/know these people personally!!!
    No one wants to deal with big brother!!!!

Some trivia: at one time in the kitchener/cambridge area there were about 360-380 telephone book adds for heating and cooling dealers....look now not near that!!!

Wow, I did not think I would get this many replies on the thread. I just wanted to thank the guys that are posting their thoughts. It let's you know that you are acctually not going crazy! Again, Thanks for taking the time to post.

Some peoples kids!

So I left my position at the company I was employed with yesterday and they where in complete shock. They phoned me back to ask me what was wrong. I simply told one of the partners that I want my apprenticeship since you have the position open. It costs the company nothing to indenture me. Apperently he tells me that they have never had a problem with me and want me back and they where not aware of the situation and how much this meant to me. "I guess the two meetings with the other owner the week before wasn't enough for them to realize"

They said they really wanted me back, they said that they where even thinking of bumping up my pay rate. I explained to him that this has nothing to do with pay and everything to do with those apprentice papers. He then asked me if I would come back to work at which point in time I explained I would gladly do so on one condition. I explained to him to call the apprenticship board, get the officer in well all have a meeting, sign the papers-while you have the journeyman ratio and I will start working that afternoon." ( Bold, I know! What kind of guy do think I am) He said Ok, he will work on it right away.

Well that was yesterday morning and there was no phone call back to arrange the appointment. I'm pretty sure there not going to. There just not use to people sticking up for themselves because everyone else they have there is under there fear of losing there job. I'm pretty sure the call after I handed in all my papers, keys and truck was to see if I was bluffing. Well I'm not! I don't need your job where you deduct hours from my check as you see fit, you make me work to the bone all hours of the day, don't pay me overtime and follow the code.

The day before I left the only plumber in the company gave his notice as well. he took a 20 000$ raise and the other company had said to him "when you give you notice, if they dick you around let us know we will have a person there ASAP to pick you up." Wow, that's an employer I want to work for. They lost the week before a 313A and G1, and on the 30th the service manager is leaving. The service manger is an OBT 1 and for those of you that don't know, right nnow as it sits you can't get your OBT 1 because there is no ciriculum of test from TSSA. Simply Amazing!

If anyone else in this situation and I know there are plenty of you out there, don't let them push you around. Do your work, be honest and be respectful but don't ever let them walk all over you for a second.

Wow.
    Sorry fact is
    These places simply find new marks due to the glut of workers
    Don't look back!!

I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!

I CAN'T BELEIVE IT!!!!!!! After two years of holding my own and standing my ground I finnaly got the one thing I have been waiting for for the last three years. I GOT MY APPRENTICESHIP PAPERS THIS MORNING! I am now a registered 313A apprentice in the trade in the province of Ontario. Holly F@#k! I can't beleive it! On top of that the ministry credited me all my hours for the last two years and they have classified me as a third year apprentice. I will finnaly not have any worries about working illegally and will be in school in due time. Wow! I'm going to celebrate tonight! It's been a stuggle and it pushed me to the edge of leaving but now I'm here to stay. I know a lot of you guys are in the same position but stick to your guns. Remember... Be honest, Be respectfull, Work hard and Never stop learning. Wow what a roller coaster I tell you. Oh well it's full steam ahead from here on in. Only another three years to go and a life long learning journey. I can't wait to see what's ahead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast