Hybrid View

Vulcan Steamer Driving Me Crazy!!

One of my Vulcan C24GA gas fired steamers developed a really strange noise in the past two months. It took me a long time just to figure out the noise was actually coming frome the steamer (I thought I initally had a water problem somewhere in the hot food prep line; is sounded just like a loose faucet washer). On every ignition cycle, for about ten seconds, the unit sounds just like a foghorn....or a bull moose, I guess. the noise pretty much goes away after the light off cycle.

The weldment was replaced around six months ago but the noise did not appear at that time. The superheaters were repalced before the weldment, having sprung water leaks. I have been working with Vulcan and have tried just about everything. I had a digital manometer which indicated combustion air and gas pressures were in specification. I actually purchased a liquid filled manometer just to be sure. The entire combustion way seems clear and a new gas valve was just installed. I removed the Reconit and cleaned it just to be sure that was not the problem. I am currently waiting for a gasket set and will be putting it all back together. The unit performs just like a new one, by the way, other than the noise.

Has anyone ever had a similar problem?

Thanks very much!

Jerry

if this is on a 2lb gas system check for leaking final regulator which lets inlet pressure to valve buildup causing incorrect air mixture on startup

Gas Regulators and More!

Thank you very much for the advice. Vulcan has asked I check the pressures at start-up but I am currently awaiting new gaskets before reassembly. This unit needs 2.5" w.c. gas pressure to operate properly, as I recall. The regulator I have been adjusting is the one incorporated into the gas valve. The valve is new and the noise was occuring long before the new valve. I do have an additional regulator which feeds these two steamers. As you mention that may be the problem. This regulator is set at 7" w.c. The noise does not appear in the second steamer, but who knows. I love "tough dogs" and this has certainly been one of them. I will post again, someday, when this gets resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by JSiemens View Post
    Thank you very much for the advice. Vulcan has asked I check the pressures at start-up but I am currently awaiting new gaskets before reassembly. This unit needs 2.5" w.c. gas pressure to operate properly, as I recall. The regulator I have been adjusting is the one incorporated into the gas valve. The valve is new and the noise was occuring long before the new valve. I do have an additional regulator which feeds these two steamers. As you mention that may be the problem. This regulator is set at 7" w.c. The noise does not appear in the second steamer, but who knows. I love "tough dogs" and this has certainly been one of them. I will post again, someday, when this gets resolved.
    I'ld suspect the first regulator (the one set at 7") your description of a fog horn noise would indicate the noise is a deep tone implying a larger surface vibrating. I've seen these regulators oscillate when trying to regulate very low flow rates. Try adjusting it down to 4 or 5" and see what happens. If your burner manifold pressure is 2.5" you should only need to be 1-2" higher on your input.

Thumbs up Case Closed.............Finally!!

One last blurb.........First, though, I must say that Vulcan has been outstanding to work with throughout my dilema They are difficult to reach in real time but are very good about returning calls; and in a timely manner.

I did pull out my remaining few hairs in bringing the "foghorn" noise to resolve but we did get it. After installing a complete new burner package (gas valve, orfice, blower, reconit, etc), light off proved to be as noisy as before, if not a few dB higher!! At this time I had a digital manometer and a liquid tube manometer hooked up to the machine. For some reason, not sure why, I decided to mess with factory specification air and gas settings. Low and behold; reducing gas pressure by a few hundredths of an inch w.c. (changed the 2.5 inches down to 2.45 inches)made all the difference in the world.

They sure are nice steamers........nice and QUIET! Thanks to everyone for their support.