Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R-500

Question R-500

While cleaning out some of the material in my recently deceased father's basement, I came across about a 15# cylinder of R-500 refrigerant. I was just wondering what type of equipment used this refrigerant?

Carrier A/c's used it a lot. I have a virgin 30lb cylinder of it that is over 20 years old.
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

Use to be a common comfort cooling refrigerant in the 60's and used by carrier and I assume others. I remember having to check the data plates to see what kind of freon was used. This was the day of METAL data plates.

It ran lower pressures that 22 which was the "new freon" of the day like 410a is today, but for engineering reasons, not political ones.

What to do with it? It might develop a slow leak and then you could trash it or use it for blowing up tires. (which is not politically/legally the correct way to dispose of freon.)

Well, I'll stick my foot into this, and get the outrageous responses...

R410a IS an engineering solution. The 'political' solution would be R407c, which, THANKFULLY, isn't used much here. R410a and the equipment designed to use it are engineered to improve upon R22 performance, and the data support it. Lower line losses, improved heat transfer, reduced compressor losses, etc., all show an improvement. Even in Arizona, where R410a MAY be operating at times in supercritical mode, still, overall, shows an improvement.

Ozone depletion is a known, proven phenomena with LOTS of authentic, factually accurate scientific data supporting that CFCs and HCFCs are damaging to our ozone layer. High altitude sampling alone proves it, and there's lots of other proof.

It's not political, it's simply the right thing to do, and I hate government interference as much as the next guy, but there's really no other way to handle this and protect the ozone layer.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo3006 View Post

It ran lower pressures that 22 which was the "new freon" of the day like 410a is today, but for engineering reasons, not political ones.

What to do with it? It might develop a slow leak and then you could trash it or use it for blowing up tires. (which is not politically/legally the correct way to dispose of freon.)

Quote Originally Posted by kuryakin View Post
    Well, I'll stick my foot into this, and get the outrageous responses...

Ozone depletion is a known, proven phenomena with LOTS of authentic, factually accurate scientific data supporting that CFCs and HCFCs are damaging to our ozone layer. High altitude sampling alone proves it, and there's lots of other proof.
    Please look up the definition of propaganda. You tell someone a lie long enough and it becomes the truth. You prove it.

I don't want to turn this forum in to a political debate, and I sure will not flame someone for their beliefs.

As with most any subject, if you want the truth, follow the money. Look what a 13 seer 410a unit cost today compared to even a 10 seer 22 unit just 5 yrs ago. Follow the money, you will find the truth.

Here's something to think about, google "cfcs from volcano's"

:A major volcanic eruption during the next 30 years could result in an ozone hole over the North Pole similar to the one already over the South Pole, according to measurements taken by American scientists.

And even WORSE is those who pass judgement based on NO information whatsoever.

SEER13 units today cost essentially the same, be they R22 or R410a. So, following the money isn't the answer to that question. Increasing the SEER is a good idea, because, in constant dollars, SEER 13 units have actually come down since the minimum level was raised a couple of years ago, since these are now the base models. And yes, I HAVE priced all of this equipment.

The data is the data. And it speaks volumes. And volcanoes don't spew out CFCs and HCFCs, which is what they found in the upper atmosphere. And the ONLY source of those is Man. Regardless of what's posted on the internet. At magna temperatures, NO CFC will remain intact. Sorry. Conspiracy theories based in BS are, well. BS.
    And the chlorine oxide/ozone cycle is both well known and well characterized.

Amazing how easy it is to debunk these 'theories' like yours with even a small amount of valid info.

Please look up the definition of propaganda. You tell someone a lie long enough and it becomes the truth. You prove it.

I don't want to turn this forum in to a political debate, and I sure will not flame someone for their beliefs.

As with most any subject, if you want the truth, follow the money. Look what a 13 seer 410a unit cost today compared to even a 10 seer 22 unit just 5 yrs ago. Follow the money, you will find the truth.

Here's something to think about, google "cfcs from volcano's"

:A major volcanic eruption during the next 30 years could result in an ozone hole over the North Pole similar to the one already over the South Pole, according to measurements taken by American scientists.

And yes, I HAVE priced all of this equipment.

Well its a DARN shame I can't post this 1997 10 seer price list on this forum because it would make a fool out of you!!!!!!

I guess its a moot point. I will say a straight cool 410 13 seer is almost TWICE the price today, 11 years later than the 1997 10 seer equivalent!!!!!!!

A car that cost 15K in 1997 is not now 30k!

Oh, and if 410a is SO GREAT, why is it not used in Refrigeration and 22 is? By the way, we had plenty of 12/13 seer equipment in 97 if you wanted to pay the extra $$$$$$$$ Now you are FORCED to pay the extra $$$$$. Thank you Politicians!

[I]I guess its a moot point. I will say a straight cool 410 13 seer is almost TWICE the price today, 11 years later than the 1997 10 seer equivalent!!!!!!!
    Same for straight cool R-22 equipment. The refrigerant has very little to do with it.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

R500 or Carren (sp?) was a step child of Carrier. If I have my facts straight - I believe it was a blend of R22 & R12.

Leo.. just the thought of your two favorites must just get you jones'n like a sugar high.

R-500 was also used in several brands of portable dehumidifiers.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Well its a DARN shame I can't post this 1997 10 seer price list on this forum because it would make a fool out of you!!!!!!

I guess its a moot point. I will say a straight cool 410 13 seer is almost TWICE the price today, 11 years later than the 1997 10 seer equivalent!!!!!!!

Oh, and if 410a is SO GREAT, why is it not used in Refrigeration and 22 is? By the way, we had plenty of 12/13 seer equipment in 97 if you wanted to pay the extra $$$$$$$$ Now you are FORCED to pay the extra $$$$$. Thank you Politicians!
    How do you account for the price of gas and the rising costs of raw materials, that`s probably where the difference is.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

And what does a straight cool R22 cost? Also about double. Get real. Inflation happens.

R-500, azeotropic mixture of 73.8% CFC-12 and 26.2% HFC-152a (1,1-Difluoroethane)

Quote Originally Posted by coolguysfl View Post
    R500 or Carren (sp?) was a step child of Carrier. If I have my facts straight - I believe it was a blend of R22 & R12.

Leo.. just the thought of your two favorites must just get you jones'n like a sugar high.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast