new AC/Furnace needed for old house

my old house built in 1928 with an old furnace - Mueller 1969 and AC Bryant 1991 probably is due for a new system. The AC (outside unit) fan went out about 10 days ago and I have managed to get some estimates from various local companies. I have estimates from $4K - $10K as is typical. I have Goodman Estimates, Tempstar Estimates and Lennox Estimates. I have been reading your forum and could probably read for a week. I do enjoy the research. My question at this point is - any new system is going to be more efficient than what i currently have - my most expensive bills - summer or winter are only $200/month (gas in winter and electric in summer). I am trying to decide just what I would get out of buying the Lennox G61MPV/XC-13-030 versus the Lennox G43/ACD. My house is a two story with finished basement - approximately 1400 sq ft not including the basement. Also, I have dogs that live in the house. I have all hardwood floors. I was considering the Pureair, but definitely need a "large particle" filter due to dog hair/dust. Is this possible? I had already decided against the UV or the Duct Cleaning.

Any advice/guidance is appreciated. I dont know anything about Tempstar at all. So, if there is advice about Tempstar vs Lennox I could use that also.

My goal is to spend the right amount of money for a new system and not necessarily have a gold plated system, but not one that will bring me any maintenance call issues either. I am a single mom taking care of my daughter and mother. My father passed away in June and he is the one who would normally be helping me with this. I also work fulltime.

I appreciate this forum and all I have learned already.

Quit shopping equipment and start shopping highly rated HVAC contractors. My advise is throw out the high and low bid and work with the ones in the middle.

Regardless of brand name, if your not happy with the installers, you will hate the equipment.

One more thought, simple is good.

I did call only recommended installers that I had personal referrals from friends/neighbors/coworkers. It just so happens that they gave me quotes for different models of equipment.

Please remove prices. Not allowed here.

The brands you listed are fine.
    Tempstar is an ICP product, they are owned by Carrier/UTC.

You current heating and cooling bills may not be high. But if you intend to stay in this house for 10 or more years. You may prefer to have the G61 over the 43. As all energy prices are going to increase. Ans 10 years from now, your gas and electric rate could be double what it is now.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Go for the Lennox G61MPV great furnace has been on the market for seven years. I work for a lennox dealer. Not many service calls on properly installed.

my apologies on including the prices. I was merely trying to say that the quotes seems to have a broad range. I did buy Lennox at my last old house in a different city. I wish I had info as to what model that was.

What is the difference between the two Lennox models - I did the compare at the Lennox site. I know the details. I just wanted to understand it in plain language. My apologies for not replying earlier - we had a major IKE storm with >40mph winds and no power since 1pm

what are the difference between the 410 and the r22 ac systems?

The G61V is a 2 stage. Its a comfort unit.
    It has a VS blower, so it can improve huimidity control in the summer.
    It also is quieter, since it has insultated panels.

The G43, is just a plain jane 92% furnace.

As far as the differences between R22, and R410A.
    Not much. Other then R22 is being phased out. And is not considered as enviromentally friendly as R410A.

A 13 SEER R22 unit, is as efficient as a 13 SEER R410A unit.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I checked today with another neighbor and he mentioned that two of the companies I worked with are people whom he has known for 25-30 years. The Tempstar and the Lennox. I did find out today that one neighbor that used a different contractor does have a Tempstar system. This is the first one of those I have seen. Right now, my gut feeling is to go with the G43 Lennox because - while it might be entry level Lennox - it is so much better than what i have now - and better than my other neighbor's Goodman, that it is good enough. Right now the Mueller/Bryant system has just one blower that turns the squirrel cage - winter and summer - and a huge heat exchanger that looks like a sunflower. I figure - most things are better than this.

thankfully, the heat/humidity is gone and I can sleep in my bed tonight as opposed to the basement floor. And the Electric is back on.