American Standard Tyler, Tx

I visited the American Standard manufacturing plant in Tyler, Tx last week. Tyler is where American Standard makes all their outdoor condensers. Pretty neat! What I found most interesting was where they make their spine fin. They have 100 machines that make the spine fin coil.

Pretty neat how they make the transition between the aluminum piping for the coil and where they make their copper connection.

Also saw their torture chamber for assembled units and the torture chamber for their compressors.

I had a great time and learned alot.

I know what's up with the whole Trane Vs. American Standard and Trane/AS has a new parent company.....Ingersoll Rand! Ingersoll Rand is the parent company and owns Trane and American Standard.

Saw powder coating being done, packaging....it was awesome...
    Too much stuff to list....

If anybody has a question about American Standard or Trane outdoor condensers I may have seen the inside scoop. Let me know.

Thread moved to residential section.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    Thread moved to residential section.
    we moved it at the same time, I must have clicked right after you............!

Sorry about the posting in wrong catagory...

How about getting your Pro membership and giving some good details in the Pro section.

Quote Originally Posted by forcryinoutloud View Post
    How about getting your Pro membership and giving some good details in the Pro section.

Wow! Funny you should suggest since this reply is my 30th post.

I will be filling out my application.

Awesome!

Did they have the drop press for the compressor casings going when you were there?
    Very cool.
    BOOM...BOOM...BOOM...BOOM
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by highlifesipper View Post
    Wow! Funny you should suggest since this reply is my 30th post.

I will be filling out my application.

Awesome!
    Good deal, but you only needed 15 for Pro membership.

Looking forward to more details.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Did they have the drop press for the compressor casings going when you were there?
    Very cool.
    BOOM...BOOM...BOOM...BOOM
    Actually, no....missed that.

Come to think of it I must have missed the whole compressor assembly part. Got to see the crank shafts being made, but that's it actually for the compressor.

The most interesting part was the spine fin. I've never seen how a plate fin would be manufactured, but having seen the spine fin made I have to say it seems like a very simple and straight forward process. After the spine fins were attached to the aluminum tubing they wound it all up on a big spool. the big spoil of spine fin coil goes to another area where they wind it up at a particular diameter. The particular diameter is for a particular size unit. The way that they wound the spine fin into the coil was very simple. I would think that manufacturing a plate fin would be more complicated and therefore more expensive to produce. A lot of brazing involved compared to the spine fin.

In my opinion I think that the ease of production had a lot to do with coming up with the spine fin design.

Learned that GE engineers developed the spine fin coil. More that a hand full of employees at the Tyler plant were GE employees first and have worked at that plant their most of their lives.

Bill Graves is the coroner. He's the guy who does the autopsies on compressors sent back for warranty. He's the only guy who does it and has been doing it for 30 or 40 years.

Come to think of it I must have missed the whole compressor assembly part. Got to see the crank shafts being made, but that's it actually for the compressor.
    To bad you missed the drop press. They don't always have it going, as they can crank out compressor casings a lot faster than they put compressors together.

They don't do compressor assembly in Tyler anymore. They make the compressor casings and machined parts there, but the recip compressors are assembled in Mexico now.

Did you get to see the "really old" machine, that is loaded entirely by hand, the heat pump check valves are made on?
    The lady that operates it was a real character last time I was there. Started off the visit with "My machine is really old", lol. She has probably been doing that same job forever.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Did you get to see the "really old" machine, that is loaded entirely by hand, the heat pump check valves are made on?
    Man! I didn't see that either. The only thing I got to see concerning the compressors was the crankshaft turn down, where the warranty compressors are autopsied, where they mock up design models and the torture chamber where they hook up compressors to a test stand and do all kinds of stuff that will make you cring.

One compressor was a complete ball of ice...they call it snowball #2 I think..or maybe it was snow flake?

Anybody familiar with the Snowball story?

Man! I didn't see that either. The only thing I got to see concerning the compressors was the crankshaft turn down, where the warranty compressors are autopsied, where they mock up design models and the torture chamber where they hook up compressors to a test stand and do all kinds of stuff that will make you cring.

One compressor was a complete ball of ice...they call it snowball #2 I think..or maybe it was snow flake?

Anybody familiar with the Snowball story?
    i saw the original snowball in 97. i think it was 27 or28 years old back then. someone who took the tour last year told me it died in 02 or 03. it was used to test how long a compressor would last with liquid slugging thru the suction line. over 30 yrs must be the answer they were looking for.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

If I was told correctly "snowball" was sent back to Trane as a bad compressor, and tested good. Then was used as a test case to see how long it would run with nothing but liquid refrigerant running through it.

Here is an obituary I found on Snowball. www.qcchvac.com/trane_snowball.html
    Last edited by forcryinoutloud; 09-16-2008 at 09:19 PM. Reason: add article link