Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Trane XL19i sizing question

I am trying to figure out what size Trane XL19i heat pump would generate the least annual electric bill for my house in Pittsburgh, PA. My home is approximately 1500 square feet and is fairly well insulated for an older brick home in this area. It also has newer energy efficient windows. I believe my cooling needs are approximately 30,000 BTU and my heating needs are approximately 60,000 BTU. I plan to have a system consisting of just a heat pump with additional auxiliary electric heat strips inside a Trane variable speed air handler. Ive decided to go 100% electric for both my heating and cooling needs, which is very uncommon in this area.

Based on the cold winters and moderate summers here in Pittsburgh, how would I determine what size (in tons) of a Trane XL19i unit would use the least amount of energy over an entire year by taking full advantage of the two stage capability of the XL19i? Ive heard that you really cant oversize the XL19i because of the staging, but Im not sure if this is true. If that is not true, what would the possible issues be of a two stage heat pump that is oversized? Too much air for the ductwork, loss in efficiency, possible failure of the unit, etc.?

I do plan to have a Trane dealer that Ive been talking with come over to give me an estimate, but I would prefer to do the sizing calculations myself and to find out as much information as possible before I do as a double check, if that is possible. Also, does the XL19i come with only R-22 right now and is it the only heat pump on the market that operates at 50% capacity in its low stage? If the XL19i is available with only R22 right now, does anyone know when Trane is expected to have the XL19i unit available with R410A refrigerant?

I really appreciate any help or advice you can provide.

Thanks.
    SteelCitySteve

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCitySteve View Post
    If the XL19i is available with only R22 right now, does anyone know when Trane is expected to have the XL19i unit available with R410A refrigerant?

I really appreciate any help or advice you can provide.

Thanks.
    SteelCitySteve
    I believe the new XL20i will be available at the end of the 4th quarter or 1st quarter of next year ( it will be 410A).

You seem like a consumer who's trying to get informed so you can make the best desicion. That's good. My best advice is to do exactly what you're doing here and ask plenty of questions right out the gate. The dealer that hangs with you will be the one that's the most informed and motivated to provide you with a good system. I say the dealer that hangs cause I know guys like you....you're going to ask a million quetions and want to see the price a few different ways. Do you're dealer a favor.....make sure he spends plenty of time with you and pin him down on what you want to be quoted the first time you meet. Multiple quotes...like 3 or 4 can squash the deal for you. Shop around, but get all your questions out in the open at the first meeting.

As far as your sizing questions. Ask this guy if he's going to do a "Manual-J" and a "Manual-D". Even if it's after he makes the sale. Google Manual-J and D....you seem pretty smart like that.

Also, sounds like you're leaning towards Trane. Find an American Standard dealer and see what he can do. Let the Trane dealer know you're looking at American Standard and vice versa.

And....American Standard will have a 20SEER heat pump in 410A really soon.

Carrier has a 16 SEER with 50% first stage capacity.

Yes, you can over size a 19i.

The compressor is 50% capacity, but you still have the over sized outdoor xoil, and over sized indoor coil that increases system capacity above what teh compressor is rated at.

Pay the fee and do your own load cacl to know what size system you need.
    http://hvaccomputer.com/talkref.asp
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

From what I have noticed, the American Standard does not have the same factory warranty as the Trane. Am I wrong?

Efficiency?

Beenthere, you said:

The compressor is 50% capacity, but you still have the over sized outdoor coil, and over sized indoor coil that increases system capacity above what the compressor is rated at.

Wouldn't this mean that the EER and SEER of the system would improve and make the system perform better than its published specs (which are for when it is operating on its second stage)?

Quote Originally Posted by jeff520 View Post
    Beenthere, you said:

The compressor is 50% capacity, but you still have the over sized outdoor coil, and over sized indoor coil that increases system capacity above what the compressor is rated at.

Wouldn't this mean that the EER and SEER of the system would improve and make the system perform better than its published specs (which are for when it is operating on its second stage)?
    Thats correct.

It will have a higher EER in first stage, and SEER will be slightly higher.

But thats the way all 2 stage are. The coils are sized to second stage. So first stage system capacity is more then the compressor is rated for.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by highlifesipper View Post
    And....American Standard will have a 20SEER heat pump in 410A really soon.
    Will it be 20 SEER in all models across the board, or only in one or two models/sizes?

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    Will it be 20 SEER in all models across the board, or only in one or two models/sizes?
    I would not hold my breath that any of the models will be 20 SEER.

Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    I would not hold my breath that any of the models will be 20 SEER.
    Outstanding answer. They may be advertised using the famous "up to" 20 SEER, but will probably not attain 20 SEER when the ARI performance numbers are checked.

Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post

Ahh..good question! If you're thinking that the sizes might be limited like no half sizes that you're probably right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast