Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Always braze 5-15% all have proven good. I use 5% on txvs and the like due to the lower melting temp. Also get the guide made by the mfr of the braze rod it will greatly help when brazing disimiliar metals like stainless to copper. I dont care what anyone says if you are not using the right stuff on stainless your joint is crap, (learned the hard way) 45% silver on stainless with silver flux is the proper combo here. I have seen mfrs like liebert use silver solder and their systems and they work fine but I still braze it it holds up better to vibration and needs less prep or flux than soldering which produces less contaminates.
    "It's always controls"

Never used over 15%. Had one fella that I worked for, if you bought 15% or higher he would give you a hard time for wasting money, he wouldn't even buy 5%, it was always 0%. Judging from the responses here I would gather that most don't even know that it exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Therm76 View Post
    If you torch out a compressor just remove the schrader valve cores, no pressure build up.
    if you have never seen what can happen when liquid trapped under the oil lets go you are fairly new to the trade or have been VERY lucky...........

i usually torch out the compressor but keep my face far away and remove heat as soon as joint starts to move.

Quote Originally Posted by forcryinoutloud View Post
    Never used over 15%. Had one fella that I worked for, if you bought 15% or higher he would give you a hard time for wasting money, he wouldn't even buy 5%, it was always 0%. Judging from the responses here I would gather that most don't even know that it exists.
    Yeah I can see that. Most here are residential and never work with process chillers or specialized refrigeration equipment so there would be no reason for them to work with anything other than 5%. 5% is great for most applications and IMO is way better than solder.
    "It's always controls"

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    if you have never seen what can happen when liquid trapped under the oil lets go you are fairly new to the trade or have been VERY lucky...........

i usually torch out the compressor but keep my face far away and remove heat as soon as joint starts to move.
    Flame throwers are cool as long as you are not in the path of the throw.
    "It's always controls"

If I change a compressor or a TXV I use 15%, everything else is 5%. From what I am use to, 15% is high dollar.

If I change a compressor or a TXV I use 15%, everything else is 5%. From what I am use to, 15% is high dollar.
    Are you not concerned about the higher temp need for the 15% on txvs? Just wondering.
    "It's always controls"

Was always told that the higher % sticks meant a higher % of silver, which also meant a lower melting temp. Is that not correct? It always seemed to me that 15% melted sooner and was easier to braze with than 5%. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for all the great replies. Again it's been proven you can't believe everything you read. Thanks again for all the help.

i've used 5% on almost everthing, and havent seen a problem so far. i do learn new things everyday though!

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    never unbraze a drier, it will boil the moisture back out into the system.

solder is for plumbers.........
    I'm RoBoTeq, and I approve this message
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Ive noticed that on almost all the units ive worked on commercial and residiential the factory uses a soft solder. And with a melting point of 800* and a tensile strength well over what is needed I can see why.

Now, I like to use 6% or 15 % silver sauter but there is nothing wrong with using staybrite on heat sensitive valves and other things, this is how the joints are made at the factory anyway.

Was always told that the higher % sticks meant a higher % of silver, which also meant a lower melting temp. Is that not correct? It always seemed to me that 15% melted sooner and was easier to braze with than 5%. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Oops i had it backwards.

http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/c...MetalChart.asp
    "It's always controls"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12