Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

it's those annoying old 1/4" liquid lines

that's why I thought about brazing old to new -- I quess if you rap the tape around a couple feet that would be ok.

My problem is that contractors are using the old 1/4" to recommended 3/8 linesets.

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    we usually tape a piece of rope to the old lines before we pull them out.

then we can tie some rags and another rope to the rope we pulled thru and use this to swab out the chase before we pull the new lines thru.

maybe same prices, but your making less money

All the grizzled AC guys aren't making near as much on condenser or split system replacement -- prices were actually lower though

I got schooled a few weeks ago when I replaced the outdoor unit on a Trane 20 ton split HP -- didn't realize they're nitrogen charged -- chit!!! -- damn thing takes 49lbs of R22, not including lineset.

Quote Originally Posted by forcryinoutloud View Post
    Of course there is a huge difference between even 5 years ago and today. That doesn't change the fact that there is not much difference in pricing between the 2 today.

Talking I'm a Professional Engineer, not Professional Technician

I'm surprised how quickly my technician skills came back, but other than changing compressors, changing out condensors, split system replacement, changing motors, residential troubleshooting, commercial HVAC & Refrigeration troubleshooting on service calls, & installing a boiler -- I have a ways to go.

I fortunately have the best of the best in HVAC & Refrigeration to bail me out when I get stuck on service calls & installations (about 15% of my service calls) -- I'll never be the technician I was 25 or so years ago, but I'm confident I'll be an amazing engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by coolguysfl View Post
    We do it all the time... but there are special concerns not open for discussion on the residential form - re-post on the Pro side

I remember the first time that I figured that out. The owner of the company that I was working for about flipped when I called him and told him that he needed to bring me a lot more 22 than what I had on the truck. If I remember correctly I was starting up 4 - 10 ton splits with nearly 80' of lineset to each system.

Judging by his reaction the extra refrigerant wasn't figured in the bid.

Cool

Don't run many new linesets. Usually use RX-11 flush and clean out existing if it is the proper size. Most things in our area seem to be undersized.

Not much price difference between R-22 and R-410a anymore, atleast in my area.
    I do the same Loud, suction dryer and lig. dryer for burn outs the rest a lig. dryer. A good flush with 11 you can run either 410 or 22. I believe before its completly gone 22 will pass 410 and 410 wont go down in price.

I fully expect 22 to surpass 410 in cost in the near future, like within the next year.

I fully expect 22 to surpass 410 in cost in the near future, like within the next year.
    R-22 seems to be a tad higher right now vs R-410.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowtye8 View Post
    R-22 seems to be a tad higher right now vs R-410.
    Not in this area.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

South Fl. R-22 is about 10 dollars higher per jug. Now we can get detailed and compare per pound. 25lb jug vs. 30lb jug

Which would make R410A higher.
    R22 has to cost a lot more per jug, to cost the same per pound as R410A.

Edit out your price diff.
    Price references like that are not allowed in the resi forum. Its in the rules.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12