Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy replacing linesets on replacements

Anybody try brazing old linesets to new & pull them through for replacements?

Other than running the new set through the ceiling & punching a hole to the outside and running it to the outdoor unit -- what are our options?

I know new constructions have 3 or 4" chase pipes through foundation to pull
    linesets through -- it's the older constructions I worry about when bidding

We do it all the time... but there are special concerns not open for discussion on the residential form - re-post on the Pro side

First question, has there been any freon leaks? no, Second, is the old set correctly sized? If so, use the old line set. Remove as much old oil as possible and don't worry about it.

I was taught that when replacing an old 22 system with 410, the 410 system can have up to 5% mineral oil and not be detrimental to the system. If its a short run, one size down from what install guide calls for will not hurt performance.

Save the customer some money when you can.

Damn I hate to see 22 go away over lies and propaganda

What lies & propaganda would that be?

Quote Originally Posted by coolguysfl View Post
    What lies & propaganda would that be?
    All the global warming and holes in the ozone propaganda. If I have to explain, you aren't willing to listen and have swallowed the propaganda. (no offense intended) Like arguing religion,(which GW is) I don't go there.

Sounds like a question for an M. E.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Well Leo, I'm not a tree hugger nor a fan of the idiotic blind following of Gores unsubstantiated "the sky is falling" ...

But I have decided to take a leap of faith that more knowledgeable people than myself had a handle on the base line facts that generated the Montreal Protocols in the '70s (that brought about the CFC ban) that have been acknowledged by NASA and other 3rd parties of ozone depletion in the atmosphere. Now I'd be the 1st to admit, the info is flawed in as much WHO contributed to the problem and in what % as I believe more current data reflects the insulation industry (blown foam) was the primary culprit - not the HVAC industry. My read was like blaming sport fisherman for overfishing the seas.

So at this point we can go kicking & screaming or go.... but 22 is a goner.

If you have clinical, scientific data that needs to be published to bring out "the truth" -- this seems like a workable forum

we usually tape a piece of rope to the old lines before we pull them out.

then we can tie some rags and another rope to the rope we pulled thru and use this to swab out the chase before we pull the new lines thru.

My read was like blaming sport fisherman for overfishing the seas

Correct, except in this case, there was no overfishing, it was all political hype. And all those "more knowledgeable than you" had political motivations and the idiot American public is the ones suffering the higher costs.

By the way, a 6% tax on $5000 brings in way more than the same tax on $2000. Haven't you heard NASA is going broke? It needs more earth saving project funding!

How do you raise taxes without raising taxes? Institute a crisis. I won't talk prices here, but you know the price difference between 22 and 410 freon and equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo3006 View Post
    My read was like blaming sport fisherman for overfishing the seas

Correct, except in this case, there was no overfishing, it was all political hype. And all those "more knowledgeable than you" had political motivations and the idiot American public is the ones suffering the higher costs.

By the way, a 6% tax on $5000 brings in way more than the same tax on $2000. Haven't you heard NASA is going broke? It needs more earth saving project funding!

How do you raise taxes without raising taxes? Institute a crisis. I won't talk prices here, but you know the price difference between 22 and 410 freon and equipment.

Just looking for FACTS.... everything else, leave it home

Don't run many new linesets. Usually use RX-11 flush and clean out existing if it is the proper size. Most things in our area seem to be undersized.

Not much price difference between R-22 and R-410a anymore, atleast in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by forcryinoutloud View Post
    Not much price difference between R-22 and R-410a anymore, at least in my area.
    Think back 10 yrs ago and price a 8 or 10 seer straight cool/ele and compare it to the same 13 seer 410a of today.

In 1995, I bought a new truck, simple one, no power anything. Best price I could get in 3 different towns was 12,5. You can buy a truck today for that. Now compare A/C prices for then and now.

Of course there is a huge difference between even 5 years ago and today. That doesn't change the fact that there is not much difference in pricing between the 2 today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast