Thread: 4" Damper

4" Damper

Is there any place that sells 4" motorized or manual Dampers ? I have looked all thur the web and have had no luck finding that particualr size, so if anyone has a link for a place that sell Dampers that small I would appriciate it.

I'm just curious why you want one that small?

Have only seen manual dampers in that size, but have never used one.

A 4" flows such a small amount of air we have not yet found it necessary to install a damper on a 4" duct.

What are you hoping to accomplish by dampering a 4"?

EWC East Windsor, NJ
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

Quote Originally Posted by forcryinoutloud View Post
    Have only seen manual dampers in that size, but have never used one.

A 4" flows such a small amount of air we have not yet found it necessary to install a damper on a 4" duct.

What are you hoping to accomplish by dampering a 4"?
    duh, probably to adjust the air flow

Lol..." never used one" lol...and just how many DAYS have you been in the trade?
    Whether it's a 4" a 5" or a 6" run, it should ALWAYS have a manual damper installed.
    Most big box /hardare stores sell them, but if you can't buy one then it can be made easily by just soldering a 1/4" (headless) bolt of sufficient length to a 3-3/4" metal disc. Put a hack saw "kerf " mark in the protruding part of the threaded bolt so you can identify the position of the disc.
    A 1/4" nut and washer will secure it to the run.

Never used one !!!! Hmmmmm then why do they make 4" duct material ? I only have 8" floor joist so I really don't want to cut a 6" hole in the 8" skirt bd leaving me with only 1" above and below the 8" left to support the remaining skirt bd. so I would like to install a 4" damper in place of using a 6". So other than the web site that coolguy provided does anyone have any place where this size damper is sold, pretty straight forward question.

More than likely a special order item all put together. I just use a damper assembly, cut my own damper, make my own and install it in a peice of pipe.

As stated 4" will not supply much air flow. We use them in small bathrooms and small walk in closets.
    Its a good Life!

Quote Originally Posted by deejoe View Post
    duh, probably to adjust the air flow

Lol..." never used one" lol...and just how many DAYS have you been in the trade?
    Whether it's a 4" a 5" or a 6" run, it should ALWAYS have a manual damper installed.
    Most big box /hardare stores sell them, but if you can't buy one then it can be made easily by just soldering a 1/4" (headless) bolt of sufficient length to a 3-3/4" metal disc. Put a hack saw "kerf " mark in the protruding part of the threaded bolt so you can identify the position of the disc.
    A 1/4" nut and washer will secure it to the run.

Been in the trade since 1994, and no, I have not had the need for a 4" damper. All duct runs larger than 4" do get manual dampers installed. Rarely do the dampers ever need adjusting, they are all left wide open. We are talking residential here, not commercial.

Can't say that I have ever had any issues with duct systems that I have designed and installed when the customer has let me do things my way (need an icon knocking on wood).