Thread: When to chg and where to purchase 4" filter

Post Likes

When to chg and where to purchase 4" filter

when they installed my new Rheem they used a 16 x 25 x 4" air filter, now I checked Lowes, HD etc and guess what, not available.

Now...how often should this be changed and where can I get them ?

Wouldn't a 4" filter be alot more restrictive then the std 1 " ??

Thanks

Post Likes
    You should call the installing contractor or a lic. company that can offer you good advice & be sure the product employed delivers the results you wanted.

On frequency of replacement - that's a variable to your conditions, in most residential applications 1 X p/ yr is adequate.. if you have allergies, dogs, live on a dusty road.. quarterly replacement may be required.

The wild card w/ air filtration is pressure drop. As contractors we thought we had a handle on this when standardized MERV rating were established but alas.... its not standardized, pressure drop & life expectancy are not a calculation of MERV

Perhaps in the future air filter mfgs will have a standardized rating system, much like the tire industry that has multiple ratings of wear / traction / specific conditions - dry / snow etc

For now, take a look at this chart & take your contractors advice for the best product for your application.

Filter Applications
    MERV Application
    1-4 minimum residential, minimum commercial, equipment protection
    5-8 commercial, industrial, better residential, paint booth, finishing
    9-12 better commercial, better industrial, superior residential
    13-16 health care, general surgery, superior commercial, smoke removal
    17-20* clean rooms, high risk surgery, hazardous materials

Post Likes
    so the higher the Merv the more restrictive ?? And wouldn't a 2" or 1" filter be less restrictive ?

We have no indoor pets nor do we smoke etc

Would Merv 7 be fine ??

Post Likes
    No Sir - a higher MERV is not necessarily more restrictive. It depends on the application in terms of correct duct sizing and installation characteristics.

QUALITY higher MERV ratings will not remarkably increase static.

That's why I referred you back to the installer or a local lic. contractor ---- they can asses your needs specific to YOUR application and offer the right product for the desired results.

Post Likes
    A 4" air filter is not more restrictive because the filter itself has more surface area. If you were to cut open the filter and stretch it to flatten out the pleats you would see the surface area of the filter is quite large.

I have seen the 4" filters at some lowes stores, i think it varies from store to store tho. Some AC/heating contractors sell filters by the case as a service to their customers, or sometimes you can find them at mom and pop hardware stores.

Post Likes
    A 1" 3M Filtrete is about twice as restrictive as a 4" media filter.
    Your contractor can supply you with replacement media filters.
    Many of the replacement filters that HD or Lowes carries are very restrictive compared to the OEM replacement.

On average, 9 to 12 months for a 4" media.

Post Likes
    Now this is interesting. Why hasn't this thread been closed down yet? The other day when someone asked what type and where they could find filters, the responses were "This is not a DIY website and your breaking all the rules for posting this question." The thread was quickly locked and closed.

I think this type of question is appropriate for this forum, esp. when your choices are limited at the box stores. Certainly, I would think an average homeowner is capable of replacing their own filters and doesn't fall in the realm as being considered a DIY repair of HVAC.

If its considered a DIY type job, I guess we all need to hire a professional plumber everytime we need to flush the toilet.

Lets use some common sense here.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fisher01 View Post
    Now this is interesting. Why hasn't this thread been closed down yet? The other day when someone asked what type and where they could find filters, the responses were "This is not a DIY website and your breaking all the rules for posting this question." The thread was quickly locked and closed.

I think this type of question is appropriate for this forum, esp. when your choices are limited at the box stores. Certainly, I would think an average homeowner is capable of replacing their own filters and doesn't fall in the realm as being considered a DIY repair of HVAC.

If its considered a DIY type job, I guess we all need to hire a professional plumber every time we need to flush the toilet.

A base line education on effective filtration characteristics is not a DIY enviromnent. To much misinformation exist on the quality of air filtration from Sharper Image to the internet. The poster has been advised, many varibles are at play and he should seek consultaion from his local contractor for the best results.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fisher01 View Post

If its considered a DIY type job, I guess we all need to hire a professional plumber everytime we need to flush the toilet.

this thread is discussing the difference between 1" and 4" filters.

what i saw of the other thread was links to online diy parts sources, a big no no.....

i'm sure if this one heads in the same direction it will meet the same fate.

if you want to purchase the filters call the guy that put the system in, he knows what it needs and will probably give you a deal on case quantities.

Post Likes
    As has been said. No links to DIY sites have beem posted.
    And the OP is asking for info on what the difference is between filter thicknesses.
    And if manufacturers all make then the same.

This thread is nothing like that other thread was.

Post Likes
    I dont believe that replacing a filter is DIY issue. Is replacing a light bulb a DIY issue. This narrow interpretation does a disservice to those who wish to insurer that home maintance is done regularly ans properly. I for one would like information on whether one 4 inch pleated filter is essenially the same in quality as another when they are the same MERV.

Post Likes
    I don't need a plumber to flush after me...I have a wife

Post Likes
    2-4" media filters can have teh same MERV rating.
    But the OEM will have less pressure drop, and will give you a longer life span before you have to change it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in