Trane poltergist

OK I have one. 9 year old trane 90% furnace will not fire off with the intake on- intake is clear. if you take the burner compartment door off or intake off it fires up. inducer has been replaced at some point. note on unit from installing company the day after install says. " no heat, removed burner door unit runs, replaced door unit operating ok" have talked to many people including trane no solid answers

dkurmay,

I, as well as several others on here could answer the question if you had professional member status and this were posted in a closed forum.

Here, we can not answer...please apply for pro status.

Has it ever fired well with the intake pipe attached?

Also, if you just take the intake pipe off, you will only lose maybe a percent or two of efficiency. So it may not be worth paying the techs to jack around with it.

After all, if they have been unable to solve the problem thus far, then they are probably hacks anyway.

think you missed it there I am the tech. The unit was a hack install that had many other problems and th h/o has opted to replace it. Just thought it was a weird one and wanted to get some ideas, always trying to learn. and what was you idea for it not working?? it has fired for 9 years with intake.

Here, we can not answer...please apply for pro status.

waiting for new copy of epa card old one did not scan well enough to attach to pro ap.

LOL,

...sorry about that, guy, thought you were the HO

Anyway, in this forum, I guess we're not allowed to speak of solutions in any "detailed" sort of way. But you're allowed to describe the problem with as much detail as you want. The more the better.

Would be glad to help out my fellow Hoosier.

what i know is that i went for a pm. first thing i did was remover the burner door, clean flame sensor ect.. when i went to fire it off i noticed water in the pres switch and up the vent into gas valve. note on unit from installing company(they serviced till last year) said gas valve had a bad diaphram. reccomened they replace valve and switch. did that tried to fire unit no luckfound flue to run downhill almost right of the furnace. flue fixed. had "green" tech bring me flue pipe so he saw this too. intake is 100% clear but unit only fires with either door or intake off. Trane thought it was inducer. cross checked and it is the wrong one. i believe that to be part of it but they had same problem day one. i will send in pro app. with nate but not my epa tommorow(didnt scan well) dont know how fast they are or how pickey, still new here but if/when i get it ill bring this up in there. really want some ideas its a strange one

Ya know, with water in the pressure switch, almost makes me wonder if the condensate draining system is set up right. Like maybe the trap hasn't been primed, or something

Get out the little book that came with it and read it well. Make sure everything is setup the way it is supposed to be. After you make sure everything is correct and read the details. Then you can start troubleshooting.

I've found water in pressure switches for no reason, usually at start of winter. Get that water out or replace it and it should fire.... It's a pressure problem anyway. Whip out the old magnahelic and check it.

replaced switch didint work. used manometer, all not so ok. i know the inducer is the wrong one just trying to figure out why this problem happened when it was brand new with correct inducer and how/why it ran 9 years. lots of repairs but all seem to start with same symptom