Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1000 sq ft house__better off just using 2 window shakers?

Post Likes

1000 sq ft house__better off just using 2 window shakers?

i currently live in a small 1000 sq foot house. Would i be better off just using 2 through the wall units? The lr/dr and kitchen are all open to each other and about 600 sq ft. my thoughts were just install a nice big unit for the lr/dr kit. and a small unit for my bedroom. I would leave the 2nd bed and single bath alone. What do u guys think? I ould save alot of money.any thoughts?

Post Likes
    before making a decision you should at least pay for a load calculation to determine what type of system would be best.
    There is a good chance you are right but a load test is cheap and accurate
    what if you put in the window units and they run now stop?
    or they only last 5 years and you got to buy new ones every 5 years?
    on the onther hand
    Maybe a split wont fit
    or you will have to many upgrades to make it worth the cost

either way you should get your place sized up
    good luck
    I remember my first day,It was fun!

Post Likes
    How long do you plan on keeping the house?

If more than a couple years, a simple 13seer straight cool/ele heat (I wish 10seer was available) split will add value to the home and improve comfort, air filtration and movement over window a/c's. Plus bugs get in around window a/c and air leaks in too.

I guess heat is not really an issue?

You will get your money back when you sell the house and get the extra comfort for years for free.

Having said that, I've been low in funds and know that window units will suffice.

To the pro's,,, anyone ever compare the latent capacity of the 10 seer to the 13? Given the same low end blower, 10seer was better.

Post Likes
    i plan on staying a while( although i planned on staying a while in the last 2 houses over the last 10years). I currently have a hot air system, so installing a cac would be easier than not. I dont know if i could justify the price though. I could pick up and install myself a properly sized unit for the main living area for under $500. while having a cac installed will cost probably 7 times that. There def is an advantage to the cac( resale value, along with mor comfort and quietness throughout). I have a hard time spending that much more though when i can achieve similar results much much more cheaper. I have the next 2 seasons to make the descision. I guees if anyone has any other thoughts, let me know. thanks

Post Likes
    Get quotes prior to making assumptions; you may only require a small 1.5 ton unit depending on your climate and building envelope.

Post Likes
    Depending on what area you live in.
    You might be able to justify, installing a dual fuel heat pump instead of just a CAC on that furnace.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    Get quotes prior to making assumptions; you may only require a small 1.5 ton unit depending on your climate and building envelope.
    That are my thoughts exactly. This sounds like a small house to me. Just for your information lets say your load calcs only calls for just a one ton unit I was just told that Coleman actually makes a 13 seer 1 ton central air conditioning system. I thought that was odd but it might be cheaper than going 1.5 ton. BUT depends on load calculation. Get qoutes.

Post Likes
    York/Luxaire/Coleman UPG, came out with the 1 ton units a little over a year ago. maybe 2 years now.

Post Likes
    One benefit to window shakers is you won't have to worry about ductwork, sizing it correctly, ensuring no leaks in the attic etc.

I am a homeowner with a larger house and 2 central air systems, so just pointing out some disadvantages of central forced air.

Best of luck -- Pstu

Post Likes
    The condenser I install the most is the Texas Furnace Spartan series (texasfurnace dot com, model 2AC13 series). Nominally, they have a 1.5 ton system. I've never checked ARI btu ratings, but from experience, it usually only pulls about 5.5 amps. So, I'd guess it's a "light" 1.5 tonner.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    York/Luxaire/Coleman UPG, came out with the 1 ton units a little over a year ago. maybe 2 years now.
    Yea I just found out the other day that they did. Of course I don't see many of those units here. How well do they work? My Johnstone sales guy was telling me they have them in 1 ton if I ever needed a 1 ton unit at anytime.

Post Likes
    I haven't had an application for one since they came out.
    Could have used one several times before they came out though.

Post Likes
    i got 2 qoutes already. both said 1.5 was good. I know we cant discuss prices here, but as i stated earlier, it would cost about 7 times the cost of a window shaker. I live on long island ny, and have noticed everything here costs twice as much as anywhere else. I live in a middle class neighborhood, but unfortunately long island tends to be affiliated with upper class, so prices tend to reflect that. Maybe over the fall/winter i can find a local hvac guy to do the job at a fair price. anyway, thanks for the comments.

Post Likes
    Being you already have a forced air system, at minimum add the CAC. When it comes time for resale, It beats selling a nice house with window units, especially in a upscale area like Long Island. The comfort in the house will be 10 times nicer. My 2 cents.

Post Likes
    call around and see if you can find someone that sells mini splits and see what they have to offer
    Not only will it cool better then a window shaker but you can get the closet that that the furnace is in back and with a small house we all know how important closet space is.
    I remember my first day,It was fun!

Post Likes
    Most mini spkits won't heat at OD temps below 14°F.
    So what does he do if he gets rid of the furnace, and has a design temp below 14..

Post Likes
    my house has an unfinished basement. the furnace is down there. So closet space is not a concern. Also it gets real cold here in the winter, so i would have to rely on a gas fired furnace. As far as mini splits for ac are concerned, i think they look terrible. i know an ac that is mounted through the wall dosnt look so pretty, but to me looks a hell of alot better than those mini splits. hopefully i can find a resonable local guy over the winter. I was also considering doing it myself, and hiring someone to fire it up. I am very handy, i have skills in plumbing, e/l and carpentry, and metalwork. based on what i have read, i could pick up a complete system for a resonable price. i am also good with metal working so i could handle the ductwork involved for the evap core. I know the most imp part of a system is the install, and i think i am up to the task. I am very meticulous with things. I am sure there will be some people here advising against it. but the way i look at it. if i buy the system, and decide it is too much for me, i could always hire someone to do the install.

Post Likes
    Too cold for a heat pump?

Not many areas drop from 65° outdoor temp to 15° outdoor temp with no inbetween.

Many people forget the hundreds of hours a year that the weather is perfect for a heat pump. And just remember the coldest days.

Of course, your electric rate could be prohibitive also.

Post Likes
    another "benefit" of living on long island. the 2nd HIGHEST el rates in the country!!!!!!!!!!, so a heat pump imo is a waste of money

Post Likes
    So what is your electric rate, and gas rate.

Wait, if LI suceeds, it will get worse yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in