Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Being you already have a forced air system, at minimum add the CAC. When it comes time for resale, It beats selling a nice house with window units, especially in a upscale area like Long Island. The comfort in the house will be 10 times nicer. My 2 cents.

call around and see if you can find someone that sells mini splits and see what they have to offer
    Not only will it cool better then a window shaker but you can get the closet that that the furnace is in back and with a small house we all know how important closet space is.
    I remember my first day,It was fun!

Most mini spkits won't heat at OD temps below 14°F.
    So what does he do if he gets rid of the furnace, and has a design temp below 14..
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

my house has an unfinished basement. the furnace is down there. So closet space is not a concern. Also it gets real cold here in the winter, so i would have to rely on a gas fired furnace. As far as mini splits for ac are concerned, i think they look terrible. i know an ac that is mounted through the wall dosnt look so pretty, but to me looks a hell of alot better than those mini splits. hopefully i can find a resonable local guy over the winter. I was also considering doing it myself, and hiring someone to fire it up. I am very handy, i have skills in plumbing, e/l and carpentry, and metalwork. based on what i have read, i could pick up a complete system for a resonable price. i am also good with metal working so i could handle the ductwork involved for the evap core. I know the most imp part of a system is the install, and i think i am up to the task. I am very meticulous with things. I am sure there will be some people here advising against it. but the way i look at it. if i buy the system, and decide it is too much for me, i could always hire someone to do the install.

Too cold for a heat pump?

Not many areas drop from 65° outdoor temp to 15° outdoor temp with no inbetween.

Many people forget the hundreds of hours a year that the weather is perfect for a heat pump. And just remember the coldest days.

Of course, your electric rate could be prohibitive also.
    Contractor locator map

another "benefit" of living on long island. the 2nd HIGHEST el rates in the country!!!!!!!!!!, so a heat pump imo is a waste of money

So what is your electric rate, and gas rate.

Wait, if LI suceeds, it will get worse yet.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by suzook View Post
    another "benefit" of living on long island. the 2nd HIGHEST el rates in the country!!!!!!!!!!, so a heat pump imo is a waste of money
    High electric rates usually come with high fossil fuel rates in tow. But I'm not sure about LI..

Edit -

Actually i just looked through the post and no-one ever asked - do you have Natural Gas? If you have NG I agree that the heat pump route might even cost you money, not save it.

Dual fuel is much more viable when off-setting oil or propane usage. NG is hard to beat. But again, this all depends on your actual rates for each fuel (including, of course, electric).

NG

So what is your electrric rate per KW delivered, and NG delivered.

A heat pump at a COP of 3.5 cost $15.07 for 1,000,000 BTUs at $0.18 per KWH delivered.
    A NG furnace 95% efficiency cost $19.05 for 1,000,000 BTUs at $1.81 per therm delivered.

That 4 dollar difference per million BTUs, can add up to 120 to 240 plus per year savings on a small house.

PS: Your electric company gives a discount to houses with heat pumps.
    Contractor locator map

ng 1.80
    el kw .21

A heat pump at a COP of 3.5 cost $15.38 for 1,000,000 BTUs at $0.21 per KWH delivered.

A NG furnace 95% efficiency cost $18.95 for 1,000,000 BTUs at $1.80 per therm delivered.

A NG furnace 93% efficiency cost $19.35 for 1,000,000 BTUs at $1.80 per therm delivered.

A NG furnace 90% efficiency cost $20.00 for 1,000,000 BTUs at $1.80 per therm delivered.

A NG furnace 80% efficiency cost $22.50 for 1,000,000 BTUs at $1.80 per therm delivered.

At temps 40 and above, the heat pump is cheaper to heat with.
    How much less per year, will vary with how many hours you have at 40 and above during your heating season.

If you have 50% of your heating degree days between 40 and 65, the heat pump will probably pay for its self in 5 years or less. Depending on total heating degree days for your area.
    Contractor locator map

Aesthetics is a major problem using room units & fans

Quote Originally Posted by suzook View Post
    i currently live in a small 1000 sq foot house. Would i be better off just using 2 through the wall units? The lr/dr and kitchen are all open to each other and about 600 sq ft. my thoughts were just install a nice big unit for the lr/dr kit. and a small unit for my bedroom. I would leave the 2nd bed and single bath alone. What do u guys think? I could save a lot of money.any thoughts?
    If you go for window room A/C's you will need fans to circulate the air from, & back to the room unit.

On the first floor, I use two 18" Wind Machine 3300 fans with a half-ton unit for 850-sf plus. The fans have a vertical adjustment & three speeds & really do the job.

Even with an occasional 104F heat index, my situation works perfect with a half-ton on the first floor & with another half-ton on the second floor of my 1937 farm home. For one bedroom, hallway & bathroom, I use two smaller fans on the second floor.

Aesthetics is a major problem for most people using room units & fans! Without additional air moving fans small A/C room units will not cool, because they merely begin to recirculate the cooled air near them back through the units.

A couple of one ton systems would add a lot of value to your home as compared to the room units. The ductless systems have more tonnage choices than ducted split-systems, & they work very well but are not cheap.

A ton on each floor should be more than enough, but do a manual J! - Darrell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12