JCI N2 bus to BACnet

Has anyone ever used a FieldServer FS-B2010-01 to translate a JCI N2 bus network to BACnet IP? Our only experience (many years ago) with FieldServer was not as satisfactory as we had hoped. I'd like to explore this option today, but hesitate based upon that history. Has anyone ever tried this device and if so, what was your overall impression?

Where in PA?

Always looking to network

I remember a client doing a FieldServer using N2 to BACnet, but this was about 3 years ago. The FieldServer uses the N2-OPEN specification for communications. I'm not savvy with JCI to know the difference between N2-OPEN and plain-jane N2, but I remember it working. I'm not sure if there is a limitation on what devices will work, so you might want to check FieldServer's manuals to see what they have tested the device against.

The biggest hurdle was getting all of the point data from the Johnson side, given the job was a site takeover from Johnson to another control vendor. Outside of 3 years ago, not sure what the success rate it.

I've heard many mentions that the S4 Group is working on, or has a product that does N2 to BACnet routing. I'm not sure if this is a released product or not, but I have heard of it frequently.

2444 Washington Blvd, Suite 100 Ogden, UT

Thumbs up S4 Open: BACnet-N2 Router

Quote Originally Posted by misternorth79 View Post
    I remember a client doing a FieldServer using N2 to BACnet, but this was about 3 years ago. The FieldServer uses the N2-OPEN specification for communications. I'm not savvy with JCI to know the difference between N2-OPEN and plain-jane N2, but I remember it working. I'm not sure if there is a limitation on what devices will work, so you might want to check FieldServer's manuals to see what they have tested the device against.

The biggest hurdle was getting all of the point data from the Johnson side, given the job was a site takeover from Johnson to another control vendor. Outside of 3 years ago, not sure what the success rate it.

I've heard many mentions that the S4 Group is working on, or has a product that does N2 to BACnet routing. I'm not sure if this is a released product or not, but I have heard of it frequently.
    The S4 Open: BACnet-N2 Router is being field tested now. We expect to be able to announce an availability date in the near future. Installation will take about 1 hour. All variations of the N2 protocol are supported. N2 devices are auto discovered and auto configured during the setup process. A white paper, Quick Start Guide, and product brochure are available as downloads from our web site.

We are in the process of scheduling interoperability testing with all of the major BAS manufacturers. If you are working with a particular BACnet client and would like us to schedule a test session with them please do 2 things. Let me know about your needs and who to contact at the manufacturer. Let them know that you would like to see interoperability testing performed between the products.

We have not yet completed a PICS statement for the BACnet-N2 Router. When it is available it will be posted on our web site.

Contact information and web site address are in my profile.
    Last edited by steves4; 09-13-2008 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Added detail about interoperability testing
    Steve Jones
    Managing Partner
    The S4 Group, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by controls_guy_PA View Post
    Has anyone ever used a FieldServer FS-B2010-01 to translate a JCI N2 bus network to BACnet IP? Our only experience (many years ago) with FieldServer was not as satisfactory as we had hoped. I'd like to explore this option today, but hesitate based upon that history. Has anyone ever tried this device and if so, what was your overall impression?
    What type & count of devices?

It's likely a FX20 or FX60, with the BACcrap license, would be the best & a cost effective solution.

Review the FX - BACcrap Server details here, starting on page 314

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Worthingt View Post
    Where in PA?

Always looking to network
    Live in Tannersville, work in Scranton-Wilkes-Barre area

Quote Originally Posted by misternorth79 View Post

I have a strong JCI background (former branch employee back in another life), so that part will be easy for me, especially since I have all of the DDL files for the existing project that I am looking to integrate with. I am mostly concerned with the functionality and reliability of the FieldServer device (how easily can one be setup and is it rock-solid once in place?).

Quote Originally Posted by NINAX View Post
    What type & count of devices?

It's likely a FX20 or FX60, with the BACcrap license, would be the best & a cost effective solution.

Review the FX - BACcrap Server details here, starting on page 314
    There are 6 NCM's (200, 300, 350's) with VAV's, UNT's, and DX-9100's. I am aware of the FX option, but looking to avoid it in light of the new licensing requirements going into place on November 1st. Rumor has it that there is going to be one bundled FX software package (includes both FX Workbenchh and FX Tools) licensed for 15 users for a yearly cost of approx. $3500 net. I'm trying to open up JCI sites, not simply change the lock and key to a new JCI brand.

Quote Originally Posted by steves4 View Post
    The S4 Open: BACnet-N2 Router is being field tested now. We expect to be able to announce an availability date in the near future. Installation will take about 1 hour. All variations of the N2 protocol are supported. N2 devices are auto discovered and auto configured during the setup process. A white paper, Quick Start Guide, and product brochure are available as downloads from our web site.

We are in the process of scheduling interoperability testing with all of the major BAS manufacturers. If you are working with a particular BACnet client and would like us to schedule a test session with them please do 2 things. Let me know about your needs and who to contact at the manufacturer. Let them know that you would like to see interoperability testing performed between the products.

We have not yet completed a PICS statement for the BACnet-N2 Router. When it is available it will be posted on our web site.

Contact information and web site address are in my profile.
    Steve,

I'm definitely interested in learnning more about your product. I'll contact you via your website.

Quote Originally Posted by controls_guy_PA View Post
    There are 6 NCM's (200, 300, 350's) with VAV's, UNT's, and DX-9100's. I am aware of the FX option, but looking to avoid it in light of the new licensing requirements going into place on November 1st. Rumor has it that there is going to be one bundled FX software package (includes both FX Workbenchh and FX Tools) licensed for 15 users for a yearly cost of approx. $3500 net. I'm trying to open up JCI sites, not simply change the lock and key to a new JCI brand.
    So don't buy the software. You could do all the setup yourself then, have a local contractor archive your work after your done. Not to mention the backup service that you could perform in the interim.

Your comment, and implication, that the FX locks you down couldn't be more wrong. If you think you don't want to use it, that's OK, but AX is about as close to freedom that you can get.

You might want to learn more about them as you further research your other options.