Thread: Cracked Converter

Post Likes

Cracked Converter

I have an 11 year old Tempstar 2 ton gas / electric package unit, which provides heat and ac to the downstairs of our house (1,500 sq downstairs). It has a leak in the condenser and cracks in the converter. I will be replacing it in the near future, but want to know if I can hold off till spring.

I was told the cracks in the converter let carbon monoxide escape. One technician said that since the unit is outside, there is no risk to carbon monoxide poisoning in the house. Another said that it could get into the house and it should be replaced immediately.

Any clarification that you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ken

Post Likes
    When you say "converter' , do you mean the "heat exchanger" ? If so, dont even turn the heat on.

Post Likes
    Assuming you mean heat exchanger since you voiced concern about co getting into home.

There are a couple different schools of thought on weather to its a problem or not.

My personal position is if you have ceacks that measureable amount seeping thru then I would err on the side of caution and replace ASAP.

You never know when a small crack will become a big one, big enough to cause co to move into a home.

Post Likes
    The only thing waiting will do is create a very dangerous situation for you and whoever lives in the home during the winter. Also equipment is only going up in price so you will pay more in the spring. Take advantage of someones interest free financing if the budget is too tight right now.

Post Likes

Thanks

I appreciate the input. I understand that picking the installer is the most important choice, but are there any impartial rankings on the quality of the major product lines? I'm looking at a 13 or 14 seer unit. Possibly a flex fuel. Mainly looking between Trane, Lennox, Carrier and Rheem.

Thanks.

Post Likes
    what is a flex fuel?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    what is a flex fuel?
    Fuel that bends.

Post Likes

flex fuel / hybrid

These package systems (I know Carrier and Trane both carry them), have electric for A/C. But for Heat, instead of using all gas, they use electric down to a certain temp (which I believe can be adjusted - heard it called the balance point) and then use gas under that temp.

Post Likes
    A duel-fuel package unit would probably be a good choice but expect to pay more upfront. Over the life of the unit it should easily pay for itself and put money in your pocket. 13 or 14 seer are fine in my opinion. Pick yourself a good installer, make sure they size the unit properly and good luck. Also have ductwork looked at.

Post Likes
    sorry, dual fuel package unit is what I meant to say. These are also referred to as hybrid.

Post Likes

Trane, Lennox, Carrier vs Rheem

Any thoughts on Trane, Lennox, Carrier vs Rheem?

Post Likes
    go with a york modulating best furnace i have installed and or worked on

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in